Disembodied voices .......

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
While I was away from my desk my cat walked on the keyboard. Not only did he type something like "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaroi4oir93888888888vmmmmmmmmmmmmmissssssssssssssssssssssssgmgggggggggggggggggggggei4tr44jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj" --- but a computer robot voice started speaking it. :wtf:

Now the damn thing is reading everywhere I put the mouse. I have no idea what he did to make that happen.

Two questions --
Anyone know how to turn this off?
and
What should I type in reply to "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaroi4oir93888888888vmmmmmmmmmmmmmissssssssssssssssssssssssgmgggggggggggggggggggggei4tr44jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj"?

TIA.

Ringel05

Last edited:
!. Turn off computer

2. Call an exorcist

3. turn computer back on.

(seriously, all I can think of is rebooting)

(BTW, the exorcist is actually unnecessary)

!. Turn off computer

2. Call an exorcist

3. turn computer back on.

(seriously, all I can think of is rebooting)

(BTW, the exorcist is actually unnecessary)

It's some kind of assist-the-blind thing, which I have no experience with.

I looked into Control Panel and found an option to narrate everything but it was already unchecked. :dunno:

While I was away from my desk my cat walked on the keyboard. Not only did he type something like "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaroi4oir93888888888vmmmmmmmmmmmmmissssssssssssssssssssssssgmgggggggggggggggggggggei4tr44jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj" --- but a computer robot voice started speaking it. :wtf:

Now the damn thing is reading everywhere I put the mouse. I have no idea what he did to make that happen.

Two questions --
Anyone know how to turn this off?
and
What should I type in reply to "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaroi4oir93888888888vmmmmmmmmmmmmmissssssssssssssssssssssssgmgggggggggggggggggggggei4tr44jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj"?

TIA.

Ringel05
What he said;

Type "Narrator" (no quotes) in Cortona (or start-run if Win 8) And click it off.
What they said too;

How to Manage Accessibility Features in Windows 10

or just turn your volume down

Outta the question. The entire purpose of this computer is audio processing. It would be left with no use at all.

Looking up "narrator" may have worked. It seems to have stopped although it's not clear. I unchecked all boxes presented but even then it was still narrating that they were unchecked. The only other thing to do was "exit Narrator", which looks like one is leaving the screen that controls it and giving up. But there was no other choice and it seems to have stopped. But Narrator definitely seems to have been what was going on. I just can't be sure that I'm testing it, but popping up several screens and menu items, and highlighting text, none of it is being narrated so -- one hopes.

If this thing pops up again during a recording or a broadcast I'm gonna freak. :death:

Still not sure why my cat would want what he was doing narrated. :wtf:

Seriously, I'd like to know what key could be accidentally hit to start this shit, and permanently disable so it can't happen again.

Thanks to iamwhatiseem , and Ringel05

Outta the question. The entire purpose of this computer is audio processing. It would be left with no use at all.

Looking up "narrator" may have worked. It seems to have stopped although it's not clear. I unchecked all boxes presented but even then it was still narrating that they were unchecked. The only other thing to do was "exit Narrator", which looks like one is leaving the screen that controls it and giving up. But there was no other choice and it seems to have stopped. But Narrator definitely seems to have been what was going on. I just can't be sure that I'm testing it, but popping up several screens and menu items, and highlighting text, none of it is being narrated so -- one hopes.

If this thing pops up again during a recording or a broadcast I'm gonna freak. :death:

Seriously, I'd like to know what key could be accidentally hit to start this shit, and permanently disable so it can't happen again.

Get in the habit of turning your keyboard upside down when you leave your computer. I always leave my tv remote button-side down, after two or three epic incidents where the cat walked across it and made all kinds of interesting things happen that took hours and hours to figure out and fix.

Get in the habit of turning your keyboard upside down when you leave your computer. I always leave my tv remote button-side down, after two or three epic incidents where the cat walked across it and made all kinds of interesting things happen that took hours and hours to figure out and fix.

Either that or have a serious talk with the cat.

Sure, screwing up your computer and putting the blame all on the poor cat. ;)

I've done a study and the results are just in. It found that the cat walks on the keyboard far more than I do.

Thanks for posting this little annoying hand grenade! I turned on narrator and couldn't turn it off! No cat!

Caps Lock key + Escape key turns it off. If you want to disable the ability of your cat to turn it on on your keyboard you have to alter the registry. What year is this, 1999? Microsoft couldn't just put an ON and OFF button on this damn program? So you have to start it in the menu then use Caps Lock + Escape to turn it off.

Microsoft Windows, we keep getting worse for your enjoyment!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this little annoying hand grenade! I turned on narrator and couldn't turn it off! No cat!

Caps Lock key + Escape key turns it off. If you want to disable the ability of your cat to turn it on on your keyboard you have to alter the registry. What year is this, 1999? Microsoft couldn't just put an ON and OFF button on this damn program? So you have to start it in the menu then use Caps Lock + Escape to turn it off.

Microsoft Windows, we keep getting worse for your enjoyment!

To this day I'm STILL looking for a way to disable the way the number pad turns itself off at will.

Having a number pad was always an absolute requirement buying a computer, and there is no situation ever in past present or future where I would want it to be anything but a number pad. Yet I have to manually turn it "back" on about every day whenever it decides it's time to fuck with me. :death:

At least that one does have a handy key.

Typically you turn your num lock on in BIOS but there's a registry hack/tweak for Windows - (You should always do a restore point just in case when messing with the registry FYI)

For win 7/8:

Press Win + R and type in Regedit
Navigate to registry key HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
Right click on the “InitialKeyboardIndicators”, select Modify and change Value data to 2.
Exit Registry.

For win 10:

Navigate to registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard ( if you want it on for all users go to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard )
Right click on the "InitialKeyboardIndicators" string value to the following number based on what you want to do ( IE just num lock on is 2 ):

0 - Turn all indicators Off (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
1 - Turn CapsLock On
2 - Turn NumLock On
3 - Turn CapsLock and NumLock On
4 - Turn ScrollLock On
5 - Turn CapsLock and ScrollLock On
6 - Turn NumLock and ScrollLock On
7 - Turn all indicators On (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)​

Exit registry.

Typically you turn your num lock on in BIOS but there's a registry hack/tweak for Windows - (You should always do a restore point just in case when messing with the registry FYI)

For win 7/8:

Navigate to registry key HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
Right click on the “InitialKeyboardIndicators”, select Modify and change Value data to 2.
Exit Registry.

For win 10:

Navigate to registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard ( if you want it on for all users go to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard )
Right click on the "InitialKeyboardIndicators" string value to the following number based on what you want to do ( IE just num lock on is 2 ):

0 - Turn all indicators Off (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)
1 - Turn CapsLock On
2 - Turn NumLock On
3 - Turn CapsLock and NumLock On
4 - Turn ScrollLock On
5 - Turn CapsLock and ScrollLock On
6 - Turn NumLock and ScrollLock On
7 - Turn all indicators On (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)​

Exit registry.

Thanks for that, and good to know there's a way. But anything that involves Registry absolutely scares the bejesus out of me. Bad experiences. To me going into Registry is like performing Last Rites.

I'm still curious as to why the damn thing turns itself off at will but I'd rather live with the PITA than venture into Registry.
:50:

New Topics

Forum List

Back