Discussion: Profanity in Music

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Last two songs I've really enjoyed both contained some profanity. Thought a thread discussing the use of such expletives would be fun.

If it's the first time I've heard a song, the inclusion of such language is just another musical note. No worse than any other word in a song. But I notice if I hear a censored version first, and then the uncensored one I usually prefer the censored one. Dunno why that'd be. Other than just not using such words myself. But it does seem they're becomming incresingly common. When music 'warning labels' came about I knew this would happen. Up until then, artists and distributors exercised self-restraint. But once they had to put a warning label on a cd all self-restraint was unnecessary. Music got much more profane and crude.

Objectively of course, no words is ever 'bad.' It's just a word. But being an older fella (42 hehe) I'm of a time when you didn't use thats orta language except in moments of extreme stress where special emphasis is needed. Like shouting a warning to someone in the street unaware of an oncoming bus, "Hey! What out for that f-ing bus!" :) Bu tnow, it's become just another word to say and has lost any special emphasis or strength. To retain some 'strong language' words I use 'poop' or 'excrement.' Since neither's used as cuss words (since they aren't) they do tend to stand out written down, or said aloud. We seem to tune out expletives.

So what's up with music using so much profanity now? Is it just the way everybody talks now and I'm some old fart who hasn't noticed? :)

All that I can say about the subject is that to me, saying certain words will not make the situation that you are in any better, so my only question about it is, why say them words at all?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

No subtlety, no imagination, no poetry.
It indicates an ever emerging anger in society.

It is all a matter of perspective. As the opening post stated, a word is a word - how it is received determines its impact and/or relevance.

There are plenty of examples of people, not just musicians, using profanity "more and more". But I counter that there are still plenty of people around who do not depend on profanity to accurately express themselves. And I am sure it will always be that way.

Languages evolve. Here is an example of something that is not profanity, but drives me nuts (and many would say that is a short drive anyway). "And she was like, Wow! Did he really tell you that?". "That's like the best thing ever.". Why has "like" slipped into language in the use it is getting? The second example shows it to be a completely unnecessary word.

Sorry, did not mean to steer this away from the music theme.

Back in the 1960's and '70's they were called trucker tapes or Las Vegas night club acts. You could get the record version, later 8 track, then cassette, etc..
David Alan Cole had one which had a song about Silly Sucking Sally , that was in the 1980's. New. Not really, I've heard it most of my life..

Last edited:
Last two songs I've really enjoyed both contained some profanity. Thought a thread discussing the use of such expletives would be fun.

If it's the first time I've heard a song, the inclusion of such language is just another musical note. No worse than any other word in a song. But I notice if I hear a censored version first, and then the uncensored one I usually prefer the censored one. Dunno why that'd be. Other than just not using such words myself. But it does seem they're becomming incresingly common. When music 'warning labels' came about I knew this would happen. Up until then, artists and distributors exercised self-restraint. But once they had to put a warning label on a cd all self-restraint was unnecessary. Music got much more profane and crude.

Objectively of course, no words is ever 'bad.' It's just a word. But being an older fella (42 hehe) I'm of a time when you didn't use thats orta language except in moments of extreme stress where special emphasis is needed. Like shouting a warning to someone in the street unaware of an oncoming bus, "Hey! What out for that f-ing bus!" :) Bu tnow, it's become just another word to say and has lost any special emphasis or strength. To retain some 'strong language' words I use 'poop' or 'excrement.' Since neither's used as cuss words (since they aren't) they do tend to stand out written down, or said aloud. We seem to tune out expletives.

So what's up with music using so much profanity now? Is it just the way everybody talks now and I'm some old fart who hasn't noticed? :)
What's so bad about profanity?

There are worse things in life.

There is no better, more useful word, in the English language, than Fuck!

Why Fuck is the Best Word in the English Language...
by Who the Fuck Knows

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language today is the word "fuck".

It is a magical word which, just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate. In language, "fuck" falls into many grammatical categories.

It can be used as a verb both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John).

It can be an action verb (John really gives a fuck),

a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fuck),

and adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John),

or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck).

It can also be used as an interjection (Fuck! I'm late for my date with Mary).

It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, fuck she's also stupid).

As you can see there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word fuck.

Aside from its sexual connotations, this word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Greetings........."How the fuck are ya?"

2. Fraud..............."I got fucked by the car dealer."

3. Resignation......."Oh, fuck it!"

4. Trouble............."I guess I'm fucked now."

5. Aggression........."Fuck you!"

6. Disgust................"Fuck me."

7. Confusion............." What the fuck....?"

8. Displeasure............"Fucking shit man..."

9. Lost........................"Where the fuck are we?"

10.Disbelief..............."Unfuckingbelievable!"

11.Retaliation............."Up your fucking ass!"

12. Apathy................."Who really gives a fuck?"

13. Suspicion............."Who the fuck are you?"

14. Directions.............."Fuck off."

It can be maternal........"Motherfucker!"

It can be used to tell time......."It's four fucking twenty!"

It can be used as an anatomical description............."He's a fucking asshole."

Lastly, it has been used by many notable people throughout history:

"What the fuck was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima

"That's not a real fucking gun." -John Lennon

"Where the fuck is all this water coming from?" -Captain of the Titanic

"Who the fuck is gonna find out?" -Richard Nixon

"Heads are gonna fucking roll." -Anne Boleyn

"Any fucking idiot could answer that." -Albert Einstein

"It does so fucking look like her!" -Picasso

"You want what on the fucking ceiling?" -Michaelangelo

"Fuck a duck." -Walt Disney

"Houston, we have a big fucking problem." - The crew of Apollo 13

^^^ What you say there couldn't be anymore true. In this day and age, there is no right or wrong. There is just doing whatever comes to your mind no matter what the repercussions are. :mad: :mad: :mad:

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I got my gold, platinum and double platinum for a song called the rodeo song.

Wasn't easy. :lol: I couldn't get it on the radio so I had to go coast to coast in bars. It was an awesome time.

ETA: I wasn't the band. I was the promoter.

Last edited:

Wasn't easy. :lol: I couldn't get it on the radio so I had to go coast to coast in bars. It was an awesome time.
What about NWA?

They had the No.1 CD in the country that couldn't be played on the radio.

What about NWA?

They had the No.1 CD in the country that couldn't be played on the radio.

When it really hit was when the Hamilton cops were actually going to try to bust me for distributing obscene material. I called up Peter and all hell broke loose. Then Q had the balls to rock it.

Stupid song but the point was we pushed the edge. I took it coast to coast. One of my favorite nights, I was down somewhere on the east coast in a strip bar and the manager of the club while I'm watching some woman :lol: do something with a snake..............whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwh tell me that

When it really hit was when the Hamilton cops were actually going to try to bust me for distributing obscene material. I called up Peter and all hell broke loose. Then Q had the balls to rock it.

Stupid song but the point was we pushed the edge. I took it coast to coast. One of my favorite nights, I was down somewhere on the east coast in a strip bar and the manager of the club while I'm watching some woman :lol: do something with a snake..............whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwh tell me that
It took 40 years, but Jim Morrison was pardoned for his indecent exposure at a concert in Miami.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ANA6Q3uqY]Jim Morrison receives pardon in Florida - YouTube[/ame]

What's so bad about profanity?

There are worse things in life.

Musicians use profanity when they speak, why would it not be in the language of their lyrics?

jesus fuckin' christ... do we really need a wordy treatise on this...?

nothing new...

popular tune from more'n 40 years ago...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvJGQ_piwI0]MC5 - Kick out the jams - YouTube[/ame]

popular tune from more'n 20 years ago...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFwQP86BRs]Nine Inch Nails - Closer (Director's Cut) - YouTube[/ame]

btw, knowing what I know of Mozart, I 'spect he mighta subtitled some of his works (at least under his breath) "Here's another one for the assholes who sponsor me... with the pittance they bother to give me... fuck 'em and the horse they rode in on"...

Forum List

Back