Discrimination toward the unemployed

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
After two years on the unemployment rolls, Selena Forte thought she'd found a temporary job at a delivery company that matched her qualifications.

But Forte, a 55-year-old from Cleveland, says a recruiter for an employment agency told her she would not be considered for the job because she had been out of work too long. She had lost her job driving a bus.

She could get help from a provision in President Barack Obama's jobs bill, which would ban companies with 15 or more employees from refusing to consider — or offer a job to — someone who is unemployed.

I'm not sure how they plan to enforce this provision.

Unemployed seek protection against job bias - Yahoo! News

After two years on the unemployment rolls, Selena Forte thought she'd found a temporary job at a delivery company that matched her qualifications.

But Forte, a 55-year-old from Cleveland, says a recruiter for an employment agency told her she would not be considered for the job because she had been out of work too long. She had lost her job driving a bus.

She could get help from a provision in President Barack Obama's jobs bill, which would ban companies with 15 or more employees from refusing to consider — or offer a job to — someone who is unemployed.

Totally unenforceable.

I think that is going to be a real problem for recruiters or employers. They will be opening themselves up for discrimination cases. All they have to do is not SAY it. And that is too bad. Older people will not have to stay home with sick children, go on maternity leave or care for the infirmed.

Wish this wasn't happening.

It would take just one court to throw in the phrase under served, I am quite confident the legal beagles can create the proper term to tug at the heart strings. The legal battle in sues and we have years on additional uncertainty.

In reality we are talking about a small percentage of older workers who have been let go. When downsizing, it is probably most common that the last hired is the first fired. Or least producing is first fired. And it is 1 out of 10 that is looking for work, although it is actually hire than that, because some have come off the rolls.

But younger workers should be taking note to set aside a nest egg in case employment doesn't get better in the next decade. They may be facing insecurity as well. They should have enough funds to buy into a franchise or explore options should this happen to them.

Forum List

Back