"Direct Democracy" and the OWS

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
From the 'manifesto', at least the most recent one, of the OWS:

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.​
[Emphasis added]

Our Founding Fathers created a country and a Constitution that is based on a political system called a constitutional republic. They were wise enough to know that direct democracies historically don't fare well.

Fact of the matter is, calling for a direct democracy is inconsistent with our Constitution. For those who have taken an oath to preserve our Constitution, I hope they remember these facts.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.
[Emphasis added]

Our Founding Fathers created a country and a Constitution that is based on a political system called a constitutional republic. They were wise enough to know that direct democracies historically don't fare well.

Fact of the matter is, calling for a direct democracy is inconsistent with our Constitution. For those who have taken an oath to preserve our Constitution, I hope they remember these facts.
The definition of what they want is MOB RULE.

Nowhere did the Founders advocate Direct Democracy.

What these people fail to understand is Rule of Law.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.​
[Emphasis added]

They border on insurrection. Protesting in the wrong venue.

But what the hell send my check to. Po box 100 Milking You, USA

[Emphasis added]

I find it fascinating those that oppose direct democracy are the very same people that say a majority of Americans support their causes.

Interesting indeed. :lol:

[Emphasis added]

I find it fascinating those that oppose direct democracy are the very same people that say a majority of Americans support their causes.

Rather, I support our (apparently more and more, MY) Constitution.

Just the way I am. I like our Constitution.

Others' mileages vary, obviously.

On all law enforcement prescreenings, it is asked "have you ever been a part of, or associated with someone who was a part of, any group whose intent was the overthrow of the US government."

Hope no one in OWS wants to be a cop. Somehow......I doubt any do.

On all law enforcement prescreenings, it is asked "have you ever been a part of, or associated with someone who was a part of, any group whose intent was the overthrow of the US government."

Hope no one in OWS wants to be a cop. Somehow......I doubt any do.
It's not just the law enforcement profession who has to worry about that. ;)

I have seen many posters lately who claim that they are part of OWS, but they all deny, and vehemently deny, that what they want is unconstitutional.

What the OWS supports is prima facie unconstitutional.

The far left is having their progressive temper tantrum.. they want capitalism to fall, a redistribution of wealth, and to occupy wall street, this all seems to be supported by the demonRats.. it's gonna bite their asses. The Tax Payers of America are at work. Earning their living, not demanding handouts. They use bathroom facilities and wash their hands, they don't shit on police cars. then they get home from work, sit down, turn the tv on and see the far left street shitters in action. Damn I can't wait til we get to the polls.

Rather, I support our (apparently more and more, MY) Constitution.

That document protects the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Deal with it.
It certainly does and you'll find no where ever where I advocate denying that right.

It's a fact. I would tell you to deal with it, but somehow I suspect facts and you are like oil and water.

It certainly does and you'll find no where ever where I advocate denying that right.

Right, you object to "communities that take action and form groups."

Important distinction, thanks.
It was. Note they are becoming more violent? But you just go ahead and belive the peaceful aspect of it.

The poster is correct. We will peacably vote those responsible out of office. And you won't like the result. (Hmm....maybe another reason for you to protest)? :eusa_whistle:

Right, you object to "communities that take action and form groups."

You have reading comprehension issues, obviously. I suggest you read what the OP actually says.

.... Important distinction, thanks.
I agree. Need more help beating your strawman to a bloody pulp or would you like to discuss the OP?

[Emphasis added]

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for supper"

[Emphasis added]

Every American Should Oppose Direct Democracy. How long do you think it would have taken to pass Civil Rights in a Direct Democracy?

This Country was set up the way it was for a reason. Direct Democracy gives the 51% Majority tyrannical Power over the Rest on every issue. If you actually think that would be a good system, you are an idiot.

[Emphasis added]

Well, democracy is a general description of many different governing systems in that class. In a direct democracy, that is so true. A constitutional republic does an excellent job of protecting the minorities from the majority (mob). Our Founding Fathers were wise men.

A misleading slogan coined, obviously, by a wolf. Sheep always outnumber wolves. Democracy protects the sheep, by denying wolves the privilege of the predator.

[Emphasis added]

Every American Should Oppose Direct Democracy. How long do you think it would have taken to pass Civil Rights in a Direct Democracy?

This Country was set up the way it was for a reason. Direct Democracy gives the 51% Majority tyrannical Power over the Rest on every issue. If you actually think that would be a good system, you are an idiot.
Exactly. One of the best functions of a constitutional republic is protection of minorities.

A misleading slogan coined, obviously, by a wolf. Sheep always outnumber wolves. Democracy protects the sheep, by denying wolves the privilege of the predator.
Well, that is a good point - sheep do outumber wolves.

However, a direct democracy is a system that facilitates oppression of minorities.

Forum List

Back