Dims want to bring nack the draft!!!!!

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
Hey Kids,

Thought it was a bright idea to put the Dims into a power position again????
Charles in charge is sure to love this one.....Ha ha ha ha ha!:rotflmao: :happy2: :laugh: :usa: :salute:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/19/AR2006111900376_pf.html

Rep. Rangel Will Seek to Reinstate Draft
By JOHN HEILPRIN
The Associated Press
Sunday, November 19, 2006; 1:31 PM

WASHINGTON -- Americans would have to sign up for a new military draft after turning 18 if the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee has his way.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars and to bolster U.S. troop levels insufficient to cover potential future action in Iran, North Korea and Iraq.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, said he will propose a measure early next year.

In 2003, he proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats will control the House and Senate come January because of their victories in the Nov. 7 election.

At a time when some lawmakers are urging the military to send more troops to Iraq, "I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft," said Rangel, who also proposed a draft in January 2003, before the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican who is a colonel in the U.S. Air Force Standby Reserve, said he agreed that the U.S. does not have enough people in the military.

"I think we can do this with an all-voluntary service, all-voluntary Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy. And if we can't, then we'll look for some other option," said Graham, who is assigned as a reserve judge to the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.

Rangel, the next chairman of the House tax-writing committee, said he worried the military was being strained by its overseas commitments.

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," Rangel said.

He said having a draft would not necessarily mean everyone called to duty would have to serve. Instead, "young people (would) commit themselves to a couple of years in service to this great republic, whether it's our seaports, our airports, in schools, in hospitals," with a promise of educational benefits at the end of service.

Graham said he believes the all-voluntary military "represents the country pretty well in terms of ethnic makeup, economic background."

Repeated polls have shown that about seven in 10 Americans oppose reinstatement of the draft and officials say they do not expect to restart conscription.

Outgoing Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told Congress in June 2005 that "there isn't a chance in the world that the draft will be brought back."

Yet the prospect of the long global fight against terrorism and the continuing U.S. commitment to stabilizing Iraq have kept the idea in the public's mind.

The military drafted conscripts during the Civil War, both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. An agency independent of the Defense Department, the Selective Service System trains, keeps an updated registry of men age 18-25 _ now about 16 million _ from which to supply untrained draftees that would supplement the professional all-volunteer armed forces.

Rangel and Graham appeared on "Face the Nation" on CBS.

So basically we have an elected official willing to foment civil unrest and rebellion to attain a political goal. Can't say I'm surprised. Suits his political idealism.

I want to see the Democrats spin this! Un-fracking-believable!

Keep it up Charlie! Keep this going and the Republicans will get the super-majority in 2008!

When I turned 18 compulsory military service was unnecessary because Ronald Reagan was in the White House.

However, in the years since I have come to support compulsory military service for men when they turn 18 or graduate from high school. I would exclude women from military service completely- barring another WWII type situation.

I support military service as much for the benefits it can give our civilian population as much as for the national security aspects. Consider the benefits we would get from having every 22 year old man in perfect physical shape and having at least a GED and whatever job skills military training would provide.

So basically we have an elected official willing to foment civil unrest and rebellion to attain a political goal. Can't say I'm surprised. Suits his political idealism.

Charlie is gonna teach us all a lesson from his bag of wisdom. :bow2: The way to stop all wars is to draft Congressmens' kids. God I love being the victim of Charlies little experiments. May as well conscript all the Congressmen right now so they are prepared to defend the nations Capital from Mexicans with pitch forks.

Charlie is gonna teach us all a lesson from his bag of wisdom. :bow2: The way to stop all wars is to draft Congressmens' kids.

How many members of Congress have children that are serving in the military right now or have served since 9-11?

Nixon halted the draft. Some of us didn't turn 18 when Reagan was President.

Nixon may have halted the draft, but registration for selective service was re-instituted by Carter. Furthermore, if the draft had stayed in place, perhaps the Soviets wouldn’t have invaded Afghanistan.

However, Reagan’s commitment to a world-class military, second to none in personnel, materiel and leadership, saw to it that by the 1986, the draft was not needed.

I want to see the Democrats spin this! Un-fracking-believable!

Sure.

See Democrats, unlike Republicans, don't march in lockstep. So when Rep. Charles Rangel speaks, its only for himself, and not a party mandate or talking points memo. ;)

But seriously, he isn't the only one whose talked about this before.

Republican senator:
Bring back the draft
Nebraska's Chuck Hagel says 'all of our citizens' should 'pay some price' for U.S. Iraqi operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 20, 2004
11:21 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38139

Sure.

See Democrats, unlike Republicans, don't march in lockstep. So when Rep. Charles Rangel speaks, its only for himself, and not a party mandate or talking points memo. ;)

Republican senator:
Bring back the draft
Nebraska's Chuck Hagel says 'all of our citizens' should 'pay some price' for U.S. Iraqi operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

That was some pretty good spin right there, dude !

Nixon may have halted the draft, but registration for selective service was re-instituted by Carter. Furthermore, if the draft had stayed in place, perhaps the Soviets wouldn’t have invaded Afghanistan.

However, Reagan’s commitment to a world-class military, second to none in personnel, materiel and leadership, saw to it that by the 1986, the draft was not needed.

I'm well aware of when the registration was re-started. My brother got a summons to appear in court for failing to register. So he proceeds to show up in Marine Corps "charlies" with Sgt stripes on the sleeve and asking WTF the problem was.

I don't see the US having selective service having any bearing on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Sure.

Republican senator:
Bring back the draft

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

:rotflmao:

Wait Republicans marched in lock step? So we fixed social security? We passed that federal amendment to protect marriage? we engaged in the constitutional option to prevent fillibustering judges? We have actual immigration control?

This draft bill could pass. Its unlikely, but it still could pass. the question is will the President veto it.

Checking out some other message boards, its amazing how people are all over the place with this one.

1)Some liberals seem to think this is some conservative conspiracy. Like we somehow have control of what the liberal Democrats in the House do. This is by far the least popular view ive seen.

2)Some liberals seem to think this is exactly what needs to happen so those darn conservatives have to fight in this war they are supporting. That will show them. Never mind the fact that conservatives dont have a problem serving their country. The liberal democrats who get drafted on the other hand...

3)Some liberals seem to think the draft is a great idea because that way the rich are going to have to serve. Never mind the fact that the rich had ways to get out of the draft before. Nevermind the fact that statistics show that most serving now are from middle and upper class families and that the poor are the only ones they are having trouble recruiting. They especially seem excited to draft the Bush girls. Nevermind the fact that the legislation would only apply to men.

What I can see is there are alot of democrats on message boards that support the draft. When Rangel proposed the draft several years ago, there was a political game going on. Democrats were trying to get a draft bill in the system in the hopes they could accuse President Bush of trying to bring back the draft since Republicans had control of everything and they didnt think people would pay close attention to who proposed it.

This time it just doesnt make sense. Im convinced Rangel really believes in this. And there are alot of Democrats who seem convinced that bringing back the draft would speed this war to an end. Personally, i think they are just naive of what the real threat is, but there are alot of people who think it.

I dont think it will pass personally, and i think the President will veto it if it did. But then I havent exactly been accurate in my predictions lately. If they are successful, i think this is going to have some major reprocussions and i dont think anyone is going to be happy with them.

New Topics

Forum List

Back