Dilemma for EV advocates.

I commute 90 miles minimum per day. I live in the UK, I need a van that can tow, the equivalent electric van has a claimed 120 mile range with no towing capability, at double the cost. I live in an upstairs apartment, parking is in a residential street. A roof solar panel survey of the house pointed out there's no payback period, it will actually cost money ( the joys of Southern Scotland). What's worse, the roof is shared.

So in 5 to 10 years, where will EV batteries be? Still at their present level, crap.

Is it a case of, "Here's EV's, they're suitable for the average mileage driver in an average job, that owns a garage/drive and solar is an added benefit if you live in a sunny climate. The majority of you, tough shit".
/—-/ Since the day the first Benz Patent Motorwagen rolled out of the factory there has never been a one size fits all car. What works for the short commute driver won’t work for many others. The people pushing the EVs either don’t understand or don’t care if it works for you or not.

99% of americans will never see them, and for the ones who do they won't even notice them anymore after a few sightings. I've never seen a wind or solar farm in my whole life. The largest solar plant in the US is in the middle of the california dessert. How often will you be traveling there to be bothered by it? I'd say, never. If this is what is bothering you, you are concerned with all the wrong things.

Either you never leave your house, or you are not being truthful.

If you're not wary of the potential dangers of nuclear power you're a fool and idiot.
OK...repeat after me: China Syndrome is NOT a documentary.
Were they not highly regulated in japan? There's no such thing as 100% safe when you are dealing with something so incredibly dangerous. Are there contigency plans when dealing with nature or terrorism? What do you do then? What about nuclear waste, which isn't buried in some distant desert somewhere but is all stored above ground at the same nuclear plant! Many, if not all plants aren't even guarded.

OK...repeat after me: China Syndrome is NOT a documentary. Most nuclear waste...simply isn't that dangerous. Indeed: the truly dangerous stuff decays quickly. The stuff that lasts for centuries is low-level. Of course, people like YOU are a major reason there is no secure burial site for nuclear waste.

Reliability is not an issue for wind and solar.

Right, and in 5-10 years what kinds of batteries do you think we'll have? Do you think the average car won't have 400-500 mile batteries? We have that right now, it's just price is a factor. How often would a normal driver need to charge that for if he's just driving 10+ miles a day on average? The vast majority of ppl aren't going to be charging their cars daily for hours on end.
In 5-10 years, the global need for fossil fuels will have increased dramatically.

Either you never leave your house, or you are not being truthful.

OK...repeat after me: China Syndrome is NOT a documentary.

OK...repeat after me: China Syndrome is NOT a documentary. Most nuclear waste...simply isn't that dangerous. Indeed: the truly dangerous stuff decays quickly. The stuff that lasts for centuries is low-level. Of course, people like YOU are a major reason there is no secure burial site for nuclear waste.

What on earth are you talking about? The highly radioactive stuff has a half life of 24,000 years!! Decays quickly? LMAO. Lower level waste like contaminated material has a half life of 30 years. The reason why no one can decide how to properly store away the material is because no one can figure how how to prevent ppl in the future from digging it up!

I commute 90 miles minimum per day. I live in the UK, I need a van that can tow, the equivalent electric van has a claimed 120 mile range with no towing capability, at double the cost. I live in an upstairs apartment, parking is in a residential street. A roof solar panel survey of the house pointed out there's no payback period, it will actually cost money ( the joys of Southern Scotland). What's worse, the roof is shared.

So in 5 to 10 years, where will EV batteries be? Still at their present level, crap.

Is it a case of, "Here's EV's, they're suitable for the average mileage driver in an average job, that owns a garage/drive and solar is an added benefit if you live in a sunny climate. The majority of you, tough shit".

So car companies are investing billions in new batteries technology and factories to make batteries that won't improve on what we have currently? That makes perfect sense.

What on earth are you talking about? The highly radioactive stuff has a half life of 24,000 years!! Decays quickly? LMAO. Lower level waste like contaminated material has a half life of 30 years. The reason why no one can decide how to properly store away the material is because no one can figure how how to prevent ppl in the future from digging it up!

If it has a half-live of 24,000 years, it CANNOT be "highly radioactive."

And how do you figure this?
It's increasing now. As developing countries modernize the need for energy cannot be met by clean energy alone. And, nuclear can't fill the need either as it will take decades for new plants to be built, if they ever are.

So car companies are investing billions in new batteries technology and factories to make batteries that won't improve on what we have currently? That makes perfect sense.
Nowhere near to the point that will satisfy the basic needs of a construction worker living in an apartment in Southern Scotland, as per my post.

Forum List

Back