Did you know farts are flammable-?

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
Someone in another forum made a comment about farts and how you could light one with a match & it would burn. This got me thinking so I looked into it and found some interesting things.

Chemical Composition of Farts
The exact chemical composition of human flatulence varies from one person to another, based on his or her biochemistry, the bacteria inhabiting the colon, and the foods that were eaten. If the gas results from ingesting air, the chemical composition will approximate that of air. If the fart arises from digestion or bacterial production, the chemistry may be more exotic. Farts consist primarily of nitrogen, the principal gas in air, along with a significant amount of carbon dioxide. A typical breakdown of the chemical composition of farts is:

Nitrogen: 20-90%
Hydrogen: 0-50% (flammable)
Carbon dioxide: 10-30%
Oxygen: 0-10%
Methane: 0-10% (flammable)
Human flatus may contain
hydrogen gas and/or methane, which are flammable. If sufficient amounts of these gases are present, it's possible to light the fart on fire.

EXXON Mobile is spending millions to improve the output of alcohol in yeast; I wish them the best in their ind-ever but I think they would have better results using the hundreds of thousands of sewer treatment plants, converting this waste into useful energy.

Anybody care to comment, pro or con--?
:)-

fart GIF

Had a boss once that invited his employees to his house for a Xmas party. After a few drinks he bent over in front of a candle and let out a big one causing a short flamethrower-like flash. Boy, was his wife embarrassed! Still makes me laugh 40+ years later.

The point I was trying to make is that there are thousands of treatment plants and it may be possible to use that bacteria strain that feeds on poop to produce the following gasses
  • Nitrogen: 20-90%
  • Hydrogen: 0-50% (flammable)
  • Carbon dioxide: 10-30%
  • Oxygen: 0-10%
  • Methane: 0-10% (flammable)
  • Human flatus may contain hydrogen gas and/or methane, which are flammable. If sufficient amounts of these gases are present, it's possible to light the fart on fire.

The point I was trying to make is that there are thousands of treatment plants and it may be possible to use that bacteria strain that feeds on poop to produce the following gasses
i thought i had a new idea but it wasn't new at all ------

Most large sewage treatment plants use a two-stage digestion system in which organics are metabolized by bacteria anaerobically (in the absence of oxygen). In the first stage, the sludge, thickened to a dry solids (DS) content of about 5 percent, is heated and mixed in a closed tank for several days. Acid-forming bacteria hydrolyze large molecules such as proteins and lipids, breaking them into smaller water-soluble molecules, and then ferment those smaller molecules into various fatty acids. The sludge then flows into a second tank, where the dissolved matter is converted by other bacteria into biogas, a mixture of carbon dioxide and methane. Methane is combustible and is used as a fuel to heat the first digestion tank as well as to generate electricity for the plant.
Wastewater treatment - Sludge treatment and disposal

Someone in another forum made a comment about farts and how you could light one with a match & it would burn. This got me thinking so I looked into it and found some interesting things.

Chemical Composition of Farts
The exact chemical composition of human flatulence varies from one person to another, based on his or her biochemistry, the bacteria inhabiting the colon, and the foods that were eaten. If the gas results from ingesting air, the chemical composition will approximate that of air. If the fart arises from digestion or bacterial production, the chemistry may be more exotic. Farts consist primarily of nitrogen, the principal gas in air, along with a significant amount of carbon dioxide. A typical breakdown of the chemical composition of farts is:

Nitrogen: 20-90%
Hydrogen: 0-50% (flammable)
Carbon dioxide: 10-30%
Oxygen: 0-10%
Methane: 0-10% (flammable)
Human flatus may contain
hydrogen gas and/or methane, which are flammable. If sufficient amounts of these gases are present, it's possible to light the fart on fire.

EXXON Mobile is spending millions to improve the output of alcohol in yeast; I wish them the best in their ind-ever but I think they would have better results using the hundreds of thousands of sewer treatment plants, converting this waste into useful energy.

Anybody care to comment, pro or con--?
No shit?

If I could hook up a hose from my ass to the carburetor I could drive half way around the USA.If White Castles were on my route I could make it all the way.

New Topics

Forum List

Back