Did you all know this about the remix long play "Blood On The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix"?

Wintw

Silver Member
Jul 31, 2016
Did you all know that the remix long play "Blood On The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix" by Michael Jackson has been the world's best selling remix long play since the year of its release with sales of seven million copies since his death in 2009? At the time when it became the world's best selling remix long play in 1997 it broke the record with sales of four million copies. It is also more properly identified as a hybrid compilation of two previously released remixes, six new remixes, and five new songs.

It was released at the same time as the third of four "music home videos" to promote the 1995 hybrid compilation of greatest hits and new songs entitled "HIStory - Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" called "HIStory: On Film - Volume II" which was available on VHS, divx, vcd, and laser disc. (The first two were 1995's "Video Greatest Hits - HIStory" and 1996's South Korean territory only release entitled, "HIStory - Live At Olympic Stadium, Soul, South Korea". The fourth released later in 1997 was called "Michael Jackson's Ghosts".)

There were four songs released from it in various incarnations and remixes as both singles and maxi-singles. Those were the title track, "HIStory", "Ghosts", and the classic "Is It Scary?". Two of the five new songs were implemented in an updated version of the "short promotional film" for the song "2 Bad" from "HIStory - BOOK I" called, "Michael Jackson's Ghosts". Those being the aforementioned "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary". Initially "Michael Jackson's Ghosts" was released in only select theaters in large cities in the U.S. in late 1996 shown as a pre-show to Stephen King's "Thinners" (King was also involved in the writing of the short story "Ghosts" of which the short film derives its theme and plot from.) and only contained the song "2 Bad". It also might have had the "Ghosts Underscore" track and music but I am not sure offhand.

While the "short promotional film" for the title track was not included on "HIStory: On Film - Volume II" it did contain a remix "short promotional film" for it which was basically an alternate edit of the original using a Refugee remix. Interestingly enough the world's best selling remix long play at that point in time was by The Refugees. The "short promotional film" for the original version of the track was however released on the 2003 "music home video" (found on the format d.v.d.) companion to the hybrid compilation entitled "The Number Ones" with the same title. The only other place this could be found on a "music home video" was the box set from 2006 entitled "Visionary: The Video Singles" compiled of "dual discs" which were a failed format of discs consisting of a c.d. on one side and d.v.d on the other. The original "short promotional film" used to represent the title track to "Blood On The Dance Floor" was that found on the three d.v.d. set (NOT in a box) in the year 2010 called "Vision" was the same remix version of the Refugee remix released on "HIStory: On Film - Volume II".

It also should be noted that Michael had his own remixes done for this long play but was the beginning of Sony actively sabotaging him by forcing him to release their own versions. Also of note there were two other remix long plays before this one released officially by Sony though those were not released worldwide. The first was the very rare "Bad Remixes" released on the c.d. format only to promote and available with the purchase of some sort of Sony product which I think was something concerning professional recording equipment. The second one was on c.d. only from 1993 entitled "Dangerous - The Remixes" which was released only in various parts of Asia and Australia. I believe both of those were entirely compilations of previously released material drawn from singles and maxi-singles. So that would also mean that "Blood On The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix" would have been the first remix long play by him consisting of predominantly of new remixes. There has been only one stand alone hybrid compilation of remixes and mash-ups released since his death on Sony and that was the soundtrack to the world tour "Immortal" by Circe Du Sole (however you spell that) (which after two or three years of touring became the eleventh most successful tour of all time by anyone). The other being a limited edition anniversary released called "Bad 25" which contained a number of new remixes within it.

Last edited:
  • Banned
...and the format of d.v.d. for "HIStory: On Film - Volume II". "Video Greatest Hits - HIStory" would be the only other one to be released on d.v.d. to this day. It was released in that format at the same time as "Greatest Hits: HIStory - Volume I" serving as a companion to it as well since "Greatest Hits: HIStory - Volume I" was simply the first disc culled from "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" of, well, greatest hits, entitled within it as "HIStory Begins". I guess it was decide by whomever (probably Sony, eh?) that they wanted/needed a release under the title "Greatest Hits" to milk that idea and concept as much as possible as well since sometimes people and public do not pick up on things very well sometimes. It wasn't as if "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" did not sell well or well enough like the media ever since then with great desperation have tried to convince you the public as it not sold fifteen million copies at the end of its promotion a little over two years after its release but became at that time the world's best selling multi-disc set and still is as well. That is insane and nuts as during those two years from 1995-1997 he sold almost as many copies as "Thriller" sold during its first two years of release being 34 million copies between "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" and "Blood on The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix" compared to "Thriller"'s 38 million copies when it became the world's best selling l.p. of all time at that point in 1984.

Of course none of you know this because you not only were not told by the media the worldwide total sales at that time twenty two years ago but you were told that it not only did not sell as well as they hoped but that it did not sell well at all. Being that thirty million U.S. dollars was spent producing and recording it and thirty million U.S. dollars was spent promoting it both Michael and Sony made their money back plus more and in due time. How? Michael signed the world's largest contract of all time still held to this day for any entertainer back in 1991 worth one billion U.S. dollars where he was required to do and release six studio long plays and three feature films by the year 2015. Three were completed and then three were released consisting of compilations of previously released material and none of the movies were made. In comparison to every other recording artist whom would make between one and three cents off of the sale of their studio long plays Michael would make two dollars and seventy five cents! So Michael made twice that amount for each copy of "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" since it was a full running two c.d. set both in running time and price. That means that each party made well over one hundred million U.S. dollars from that project. Hardly a loss as the media and haters would so desperately have you believe. The media lying. Imagine that.

• Banned
Ooops! Where I mentioned The Refugees having the world's best selling remix long play before "Blood On The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix" I meant The Fugees. Apparently the term "Refugees" comes from slang of a shortened word of The Fugees...

...also Sony started sabotaging him in 1994 by forcing him to come up with a compilation of greatest hits that was postponed twice. Later that year and early the next in 1995. It would be released in the summer time that year. The reason Sony started doing this was because Michael said he wanted to leave the company like some other recording artists were doing around that time with their own major labels they were signed to and be independent. So Sony were going to dump him but some other company in Asia said that they would hire him instead if they did not want him. Sony freaked and said that they would keep him but they were not happy. Part of their president's (Tommy Motella) policy procedure was to destroy the reputation of artists if they did not resign with them so he/they would hurt them as much as possible. One way they did this with Michael Jackson was to cease reporting sales and putting false reports out that sales were not good. This is one other reason why the public have never known about the worldwide sales total and were lead to believe that he was not just a "has been" but an outright failure and in many ways simply did not exist. This worked in particular in North America.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back