Did Trump just give his 'mens rea' on the commission of a crime?

So, Obama had the docs removed to NARA.

Wonderful, that is compliance with the PRA.

And your point is, what?

No, he had them for well over a year. No raid, no bullshit by the DoJ. They negotiated. Which is what the PRA anticipates. And probably has more somewhere.

Then we have Joe Biden, who had documents in his garage, and several other places. And that includes classified documents from when he was a Senator, meaning he stole them from a SCIF.

He had no declassification authority as a Senator nor as a VPOTUS (he may have had limited declassification for documents he classified as VPOTUS, but that has never been tested in court and he's never claimed as much in the months since classified documents from his days as VPOTUS were found in his garage).

Trump is not a criminal... Biden is....

Yep, bought and paid for by the ChiComms.

Stole classified documents from a SCIF when he was a Senator.

ChiComms paid a huge amount to Pennsylvania University for the Biden center.

It appears (to me, anyway) that Trump confessed on TV to Hannity to the crime of Espionage, mishandling of national defense information documents.

Let's be clear, the 'boxes' Hannity is querying Trump about , are the boxes of classified documents, i.,e national defense information documents to which the Espionage Act, applies. It is one thing to own the documents, by inadvertent means, but he just confessed that it is okay for a president to take them. If that isn't 'mens rea' for a prosecutor, tell me what is?

And, No, it's not okay. Inadvertent acquisition by a President, as I understand DOJ policy, is not likely to be prosecuted, as is the case with Pence and Biden, but with Trump, he's giving his mens rea, (guilty mindset) on Television, to a crime? Not to mention he obstructed the governments' efforts to retrieve the documents, that's another crime, right there.

And for those of you about to raise the 'classification' issue. No can do, As I understand it, The Espionage Act does not depend on any classification regime, only DNI damage assessments, where the classification may, or may not be, supplemental to a charge if the damage assessments are severe.

not sure how you get that from someone saying they have the right to do something…in fact it shows the just opposite

but it looks like someone from mSdnc told you to think that, instead od actually looking up when it means

It appears (to me, anyway) that Trump confessed on TV to Hannity to the crime of Espionage, mishandling of national defense information documents.

Let's be clear, the 'boxes' Hannity is querying Trump about , are the boxes of classified documents, i.,e national defense information documents to which the Espionage Act, applies. It is one thing to own the documents, by inadvertent means, but he just confessed that it is okay for a president to take them. If that isn't 'mens rea' for a prosecutor, tell me what is?

And, No, it's not okay. Inadvertent acquisition by a President, as I understand DOJ policy, is not likely to be prosecuted, as is the case with Pence and Biden, but with Trump, he's giving his mens rea, (guilty mindset) on Television, to a crime? Not to mention he obstructed the governments' efforts to retrieve the documents, that's another crime, right there.

And for those of you about to raise the 'classification' issue. No can do, As I understand it, The Espionage Act does not depend on any classification regime, only DNI damage assessments, where the classification may, or may not be, supplemental to a charge if the damage assessments are severe.

Looks like the coyote got his new ACME shipment

You are wrong. When Trump says things, as maybe you’ve realized, he often speaks in shorthand. But after a while, if you care to, you can get the gist of it.

Nope - because I don't care to entertain pathological lying.

He frequently speaks about what “a” President is allowed to do. He has been given information. He accepts it as true. He recalls the gist of it. And relies on it.

He was given other information earlier in the year by the National Archives and the Department of Justice, making it clear he was to return classified documents in his possession. Perhaps he could be excused the first time, not subsequently.

If other Presidents have kept materials after leaving office, then presidents are allowed to do that.

Not true, and again, intent matters, though in some cases, mere gross negligence in handling of classified information is a criminal act by itself.

So you formulate little fantasies in your head and assume that he’s saying he “did it.” Not what he said.

Trump has illegally handled and possessed classified materials. Will he get convicted or even charged for it? Probably not. Biden's and Pence's mishandling of classified docs complicates things in that regard, optics and all.

Now if only you had an actus reus! A president has every right, authority and power to declassify documents. Someone packed them up and they were sent to Mar A Lago and inspected on numerous occasions. Where there is a problem is with the resident Joe Biden who as VP and senator, committed a felony taking everything he had and yet ANOTHER felony leaving them in unsecured locations, with possible ESPIONAGE for storing some of them in a location owned and operated by hostile foreign agents!

Man, you guys wet dreams never stop, do they? Glad to see you contributing to Fox News ratings though. They would go out of business if you lefties quit watching them.

When you say something honest and worthy of a reply, i might waste a few moments replying.

Until then, your moron posts mumble for themselves.

I posted honestly, you rat fuck. You just wanna dish out insults and then snivel like the snot-nosed punk you are when I throw it back.

Ever tried sticking a cactus in your ass? Try it - you might like it.

No, he had them for well over a year. No raid, no bullshit by the DoJ. They negotiated. Which is what the PRA anticipates.
With cooperation, there is no need for a search warrant.

And probably has more somewhere.
No evidence of that, but I suppose it's possible.
Then we have Joe Biden, who had documents in his garage, and several other places. And that includes classified documents from when he was a Senator, meaning he stole them from a SCIF.
That's not proof he stole them. It could be recklessness, and that's not good. That's why there is an investigation, to determine the facts.
He had no declassification authority as a Senator nor as a VPOTUS (he may have had limited declassification for documents he classified as VPOTUS, but that has never been tested in court and he's never claimed as much in the months since classified documents from his days as VPOTUS were found in his garage).

You're correct about the Senator, but not correct about the VP, to wit:

Executive Order 13526 states: Sec. 1.3. Classification Authority. (a) The authority to classify information originally may be exercised only by: (1) the President and the Vice President;

It won't need be tested in court, unless the EO is challenged on that section (it has on other sections) which it has not, thus far.

However, it's a moot point, 18 U.S.C. 793 Espionage, which was the potential charge listed on Trump's search warrant, (or one of them) does NOT depend on any classification regime.

IF there is an indictment, it won't be or mere possession if the possession is determined to be 'inadvertent' but will probably not be prosecuted anyway unless there is a 8 U.S.C. 1519 Espionage "obstruction" violation, which, is the case with Trump given that, due to Trump's stonewalling the government, the FBI sought, and got that warrant, noting that no federal magistrate is going to sign a search warrant on the residence of a former US President unless there is STRONG probable cause presented to the court. So that, in my view, proves the obstruction violation, and thus he is exposed, legally, far more than Biden or Pence.

However, any one of them could be charged, as well, as all of these will depend largely on the severity of the DNI damage assessments. This is my understanding, as a layman, of the law and DOJ prosecutorial discretion policies.

not sure how you get that from someone saying they have the right to do something…in fact it shows the just opposite
He claimed he had, 'as president, the right to take classified documents'.
That is a direct admission that he is willing to violate the Espionage Act.
but it looks like someone from mSdnc told you to think that, instead od actually looking up when it means
It means a guilty mindset. Even if that isn't what his statement proves, it DOES prove he is willing to violate the
793 Espionage Act. That will not bode well for him in court, IF he is indicted.

Forum List

Back