Did the Congressional Budget Office deliberately less inform the Congress and the public?

Boosts the economy. When we put money in the pockets of workers and their families, they will spend that
money in local businesses.

OK, danny - Here's a simple question that I'm sure you can answer.

When min wage increases, what else increases?
When the minimum wage is raised gradually instead of the shock of doubling? Mostly nothing; it is usually not considered statistically significant enough to bother with the cost to raise prices.
Unfortunately, when minimum wage hasn’t been increased in eleven years, you have no choice but a large increase in minimum wage.
Especially since it may be another 11 years before Congress considers a wage increase

Fed min wage works fine in some states.

In the states it doesn't work so well, then the states increase min wage.

but, but, but.... what would happen if ALL states had he same min wage?
I know the answer to this. As does my daughter ;)
That is why they call it “minimum”

Geezus!

Even my teenage daughter understands what happens when min wage gets raised.
Yes

Your daughter would earn more money for college instead of providing a low wage workforce for business owners.

But never mind......You can always borrow the difference so your daughter can go to college

Happily, my teenage daughter STILL understands what happens when min wage is increased, unlike you.
If she thinks prices will go up one for one, she is wrong.
Business adapts
They adapt to increases in the costs of supplies, costs of rent, costs of advertising, tax increases...

The only thing you and your daughter thinks they can’t adapt to is wage increases.

Meanwhile, your daughter will be forced to work at a wage that won’t help her pay for college while her employer pockets more profit.

Business adapts

They adapt by reducing staff, increasing automation and raising prices.

Geezus!

Yes

Your daughter would earn more money for college instead of providing a low wage workforce for business owners.

But never mind......You can always borrow the difference so your daughter can go to college

Happily, my teenage daughter STILL understands what happens when min wage is increased, unlike you.
Business adapts
They adapt to increases in the costs of supplies, costs of rent, costs of advertising, tax increases...

The only thing you and your daughter thinks they can’t adapt to is wage increases.

Meanwhile, your daughter will be forced to work at a wage that won’t help her pay for college while her employer pockets more profit.

Business adapts

If they could reduce staff, they already would.
Minimum wage has been frozen for 11 years, yet automation has still increased radically. Obviously, what you pay your lowest cost workers has little to do with it.

Geezus!

Yes

Business adapts

Business adapts

Minimum wage has been frozen for 11 years, yet automation has still increased radically. Obviously, what you pay your lowest cost workers has little to do with it.

If they have staff that produces $8 of value per hour and are forced to pay them $15 per hour, they will reduce staff further.

Minimum wage has been frozen for 11 years, yet automation has still increased radically.

If automation makes sense at $7.25, imagine how much more will make sense at $15.

I'm a slumlord ... I know that a full time worker earning $10/hr can afford $480/mo rent ...

You want to give this worker $15/hr? ... now they can afford $720/mo rent ...

It takes me 10 minutes and 50¢ worth of legal forms and in 30 days I'll have an extra $240 in my pocket ... per month ... forever ...

It's called "inflation" ... please invest appropriately ...

If they have staff that produces $8 of value per hour and are forced to pay them $15 per hour, they will reduce staff further.

If your staff produces only $8 an hour of value, you do not belong in business

I'm a slumlord ... I know that a full time worker earning $10/hr can afford $480/mo rent ...

You want to give this worker $15/hr? ... now they can afford $720/mo rent ...

Today, he charges $720 a month in rent and the taxpayers make up the difference.

Welfare subsidizes low pay.....employers pocket the difference

Today, he charges $720 a month in rent and the taxpayers make up the difference.
Welfare subsidizes low pay.....employers pocket the difference

That's not how Section 8 Housing works ... my friend ... there's inspections with demanding criteria ... very strict limits as to how much rent can be charged ... I stated the condition in my post, rent is $480/mo ... any higher rent would disqualify the minimum wage worker ... no way would Section 8 pay $720/mo ...

Sounds like your State has a screwed up welfare system ... here, full time minimum wage disqualifies families from welfare payments ... and maybe your Section 8 works differently too ... Oregon invests into child support enforcement programs, making the absent parent pay, thus keeping families off the welfare and Section 8 rolls ... ever since the Welfare Reform Act of 1996 ...

About the only money I got from Government was through the Battered Spouse program ... move-in costs for folks escaping dangerous households ... I was one of the few landlords who actively kept their premises safe for such people ... most of the outside money I got was from churches and charitable non-profits ... Section 8 wanted me to encapsulate all the outdoor painting in the 0.00001% chance there's a square inch of lead paint someplace ... without raising rents to cover the cost ... yeah, right, never going to happen ...

How much does the guy who sweeps the floors produce?
It is not about that but about this; market based arbitrage in the market for Labor. Government can move those goalposts.

Try running a business with filthy floors
What does a Health Department shutdown cost?

Sorry, someone who produces $8 of value won't be hired at $15.

The applicable minimum wage rate directly or almost directly effects incomes and unemployment benefits derived from employees’ earning rates within the low-wage-rate bracket of rates.

Congressional Budget Office’s (I.e. CBO’s) report concerning proposed increases of the federal minimum wage rate, employ poverty threshold statistics to differentiate between families’ incomes and their families’ sizes’ ratios of their poverty thresholds.
CBO reports upon the proposed increases of federal minimum rates, and the increases of families’ different poverty threshold brackets within the years’ 2018 and 2025 duration.

Individual families’ total incomes proportional “mixes” of wages within their total incomes, greatly vary. Aggregate families’ wage incomes proportional “mixes” within different brackets of poverty thresholds, greatly vary. Aggregate families’ low-wage-rate incomes proportional “mixes” within different brackets of poverty thresholds, greatly vary.

It is logical to expect minimum wage rate will have little or no effects upon: (1) Wages other than low-wage-rate wages. (2) Incomes or benefits not directly or nearly directly derived from wages.

CBO’s reports of proposed increasing our federal minimum wage rate, support validity of the concepts: (1) Applicable minimum wage rates, to the extents of their purchasing power and enforcement, reduce the incidences and extents of poverty among the working-poor. This is its purpose and justification.
(2) Minimum rate’s benefits to jobs’ rates are inversely related to the differences between the rates, lower rates more, higher rates less favored by the minimum rate.
Respectfully, Supposn

Sorry, someone who produces $8 of value won't be hired at $15.
The private sector is a price taker not a price maker regarding the minimum wage. Besides, the minimum wage was not adjusted for around a decade and Capitalists still failed. That proves it is not the minimum wage.

Forum List

Back