Did anyone VOLUNTEER for Nam??

You were too much of a coward to enlist, you just watch the Military channel and get off watching the anarchy from the safety of your living room, go fuck yourself.

I was 125 lbs on a 5'10" in frame in 1972 - prabably 10 lbs underweight anyway to be drafted

I wussed out and joined the Navy.

I figured if I wanted to get shot, all I'd have to do is walk around the South Bronx on a Saturday night.

Heard about volunteers after Pearl Harbor - inclu kids 0f 16,17 -lied about their age

Wasnt a great groundswell of enthusiam about nam

I figured if I wanted to get shot, all I'd have to do is walk around the South Bronx on a Saturday night.

Joining the Navy didn't help but 2 weeks before I graduated "A" school Nixon started the draw down and the Navy decided my skill set was of better use in South and Central America. :dunno:

Joining the Navy didn't help but 2 weeks before I graduated "A" school Nixon started the draw down and the Navy decided my skill set was of better use in South and Central America. :dunno:

What "A" school did you go to?

My Dad volunteered. He had to divorce my mom to get in cause there were 5 kids. Once in they remarried. He volunteered for his second tour in Viet Nam were he fell in a pungy stick pit and spent 3 months in a hospital in Okinawa where they didn't know if he would live or die from infection.

That wound haunted him his whole life. He spent 20 years in the Army.

What "A" school did you go to?

Dental Technician but in 72-73 they also selected a group of us to train as Combat Medics to augment the Corpsman ranks, ostensibly to serve in a dual role with a MASH type unit.

we had the something called the draft, or selective service back then. so if you didn't volunteer or have a deferment the came and got you. I signed up for 4 years in the USN just before they came after me.

I was 5 foot 10 about 125 lbs in 1972 - coulndnt gain weight to save my life - nice problem to havee

Forum List

Back