Devolving

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Natural outcome I suppose:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201704.html

Speech Police, Riding High In Oakland

By George F. Will
Sunday, June 24, 2007; B07

Marriage is the foundation of the natural family and sustains family values. That sentence is inflammatory, perhaps even a hate crime.

At least it is in Oakland, Calif. That city's government says those words, italicized here, constitute something akin to hate speech and can be proscribed from the government's open e-mail system and employee bulletin board.

When the McCain-Feingold law empowered government to regulate the quantity, content and timing of political campaign speech about government, it was predictable that the right of free speech would increasingly be sacrificed to various social objectives that free speech supposedly impedes. And it was predictable that speech suppression would become an instrument of cultural combat, used to settle ideological scores and advance political agendas by silencing adversaries.

That has happened in Oakland. And, predictably, the ineffable U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has ratified this abridgement of First Amendment protections. Fortunately, overturning the 9th Circuit is steady work for the U.S. Supreme Court.

I dont think free speech will be an issue as long as it is in the consitution. I would never want to silence someone for his/her religious beliefs, but when it comes to legislation being put into place for a religious gain, Im going to have to do something to stop this.

The consitution was not drafted for any religion and infact, makes no reference to any diety at all. So the whole "marrage is sacred and should be between a man and a women" will only be a statement of free speach, not a real legislative thought. If it does, then I will begin to question Christianitys motives with the government. This is a secular society, always has been, always will be. Thomas Jefferson was not thinking of christianity when he drafted those amendments. He was thinking of equality.

Is it just me, or is anyone else puzzled by the fact that liberals are the chief censors today? It's a little counterintuitive, in some ways. But conservatives are the champions of free speech today, especially on the Supreme Court.

Liberals "know whats best" they are only for Free Speech when it benefits them. Just as any other "right" or privalege. They are the "enlightened" and consider the rest of us ignorant boobs that need taken care of.

Bongs hit 4 Jesus....

liberals are censoring people?

Yes. Too bad alluding to the Morse ET AL v. Fredericks won't help you as the ruling was a sustaining of settled law. Fredericks was a high school student who attended a high school authorized event during normal school hours. His actions violated existing school policy which justified Morse in disciplining the boy.

Oral arguments presented to SCOTUS
SCOTUS ruling in Morse ET AL v. Fredericks

Frankly had Fredericks pulled his stunt elsewhere, like say 5-6 blocks away from the school, he might have been able to argue his First Amendment rights provided he accepted a default ruling of misdemeanor truancy. But since he specifically parked himself at a school event, during the normal school hours he could not claim he was NOT under the school's jurisdiction at that time, and his actions warranted his suspension by Morse.

I'd suggest you read the oral arguments for a good laugh. The kid wanted to try to stick it to the principal who had recently disciplined him for another incident at school, and it looks like it backfired on him.

So how exactly were you trying to tie this case to the issue of First Amendment rights and censorship?

BTW, you should look up the term "false premise" before continuing this thread methinks....

Yes. Too bad alluding to the Morse ET AL v. Fredericks won't help you as the ruling was a sustaining of settled law.

Yes...settled law that removes someones freedom of speech.

Fredericks was a high school student who attended a high school authorized event during normal school hours. His actions violated existing school policy which justified Morse in disciplining the boy.

Umm no. The Constitution over-rides school policy.

So how exactly were you trying to tie this case to the issue of First Amendment rights and censorship?

Gee, I don't know. Maybe its because they are censoring him because its percieved to be promoting drug use, which is against school policy.

Yes...settled law that removes someones freedom of speech.

Umm no. The Constitution over-rides school policy.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe its because they are censoring him because its percieved to be promoting drug use, which is against school policy.

And I can easily tell you haven't bothered to read the SCOTUS ruling, the opinions of the Justices, nor even the oral arguments presented by the student's counsel before SCOTUS. Figures. You're just another lemming who thinks that students have the right to do as they wish with impunity. Grow up.

Figures. You're just another lemming who thinks that students have the right to do as they wish with impunity. Grow up.

Not do as they wish, say what they want.

I would hold, however, that the school's interest in protecting its students from exposure to speech "reasonably regarded as promoting illegal drug use," ante, at 1, cannot justify disciplining Frederick for his attempt to make an ambiguous statement to a television audience simply because it contained an oblique reference to drugs. The First Amendment demands more, indeed, much more.

You're just another lemming who thinks that students have the right to do as they wish with impunity. Grow up.

Which, amusingly enough, I don't even believe. Rather I was pointing out that conservatives are not always for free speech and liberals are not always against it. But you decided to make the asinine claim that this case had nothing to do with the first amendment, and then accused me of not reading it when if YOU had read it, you would have noticed in the dissent Stevens specifically mentions the 1st Amendment.

Which, amusingly enough, I don't even believe. Rather I was pointing out that conservatives are not always for free speech and liberals are not always against it. But you decided to make the asinine claim that this case had nothing to do with the first amendment, and then accused me of not reading it when if YOU had read it, you would have noticed in the dissent Stevens specifically mentions the 1st Amendment.

And what was the ruling of the majority? Oh yeah, there was no action violating the First Amendment rights of Joseph Fredericks. The minority opinion does NOT carry the weight of law, unlike the majority opinion.

Moreover, I never said the case itself did not address First Amendment issues, but that the ruling was that no First Amendment violations occurred when Morse removed Fredericks' banner and suspended him for violating a standing school policy.

And what was the ruling of the majority? Oh yeah, there was no action violating the First Amendment rights of Joseph Fredericks. The minority opinion does NOT carry the weight of law, unlike the majority opinion.

Derr...why it is called a dissent. They ruled that it did NOT violate his first amendment rights, hence saying he had less of a freedom to speak than the liberal judges opined.

Moreover, I never said the case itself did not address First Amendment issues,

Yeah it sort of seems like you did.
So how exactly were you trying to tie this case to the issue of First Amendment rights and censorship

but that the ruling was that no First Amendment violations occurred when Morse removed Fredericks' banner and suspended him for violating a standing school policy.

Because you have a more restrictive view on what speech is, hence restricting freedom of speech, hence my point in the first place of bringing up the court case.

Minors do NOT possess the same exact rights as adults, never have. Unless liberals manage to change the law and meaning of it, it won't happen any time soon either.

Students in High school and lower schools have been ruled to not have the full protection of the 1st amendment and that has been true for the entire history of our country.

A minority opinion from a court carries no weight what so ever, it does not establish precedent nor law. Never has and again unless someone changes our laws, never will. It is simply the opinion of those that lost.

Or are we going to start citing the minority opinion on the Roe vs Wade ruling as justification for why abortion is illegal?

The laws that determine children do not enjoy the entire protection of the Constitution in the same manner as adults are Constitutional until such time as some court rules otherwise and the Supreme Court refuses to take the case or agrees.

Students in High school and lower schools have been ruled to not have the full protection of the 1st amendment and that has been true for the entire history of our country.

Thats correct, but what you fail to realize is that this court case is an argument against such generalizations like "Liberals "know whats best" they are only for Free Speech when it benefits them. Just as any other "right" or privalege. They are the "enlightened" and consider the rest of us ignorant boobs that need taken care of." because here is a case where liberals were for expanding free speech and conservatives were for restricting it.

Yeesh, is that really so hard to understand?

A minority opinion from a court carries no weight what so ever, it does not establish precedent nor law. Never has and again unless someone changes our laws, never will. It is simply the opinion of those that lost.

Incorrect. It does not establish precedent nor law, but it does carry weight. There is a reason they spend their time righting dissenting opinions.

Thats correct, but what you fail to realize is that this court case is an argument against such generalizations like "Liberals "know whats best" they are only for Free Speech when it benefits them. Just as any other "right" or privalege. They are the "enlightened" and consider the rest of us ignorant boobs that need taken care of." because here is a case where liberals were for expanding free speech and conservatives were for restricting it.
However, the rights of an individual may not intrude upon the rights of another. In high school, the right of free speech must be weighed against the common good of the other students, and any speech which is disruptive or harmful does not receive the protections of the First Amendment. The same holds true for actions. Protecting the freedoms of the majority is every bit as valuable as protecting the freedoms of the minority.

Incorrect. It does not establish precedent nor law, but it does carry weight. There is a reason they spend their time righting dissenting opinions.
But that weight is not the weight of law, but of legal opinion - BIG difference. Legal opinion might be considered when someone is making a similar or related argument, but those arguments are not the equivalent of an existing law nor of a court ruling.

However, the rights of an individual may not intrude upon the rights of another. In high school, the right of free speech must be weighed against the common good of the other students, and any speech which is disruptive or harmful does not receive the protections of the First Amendment. The same holds true for actions. Protecting the freedoms of the majority is every bit as valuable as protecting the freedoms of the minority.

I believe they ruled it was not disruptive, but it was harmful, yes? After all, its hard to disrupt a situation where kids are throwing shit at each other. Or at least hard to think that its unjustifiable to disrupt that.

Again...for the third time now...my issue in bringing up this case was not to debate the relative merits of the case, which I have mixed feelings about, but rather to argue against the generalization that all liberals are always against freedom of speech and all conservatives are always for it.

But that weight is not the weight of law, but of legal opinion - BIG difference. Legal opinion might be considered when someone is making a similar or related argument, but those arguments are not the equivalent of an existing law nor of a court ruling.

Of course its different, its vastly different. But is not true that it "carries no weight whatsoever" as someone claimed.

Settled law regarding schools ability to limit students' rights to free speech was held in Tinker and subsequent rulings, such as the Bongs for Jesus; the right to mandate uniforms, even in public schools, etc.

I believe they ruled it was not disruptive, but it was harmful, yes? After all, its hard to disrupt a situation where kids are throwing shit at each other. Or at least hard to think that its unjustifiable to disrupt that.

Again...for the third time now...my issue in bringing up this case was not to debate the relative merits of the case, which I have mixed feelings about, but rather to argue against the generalization that all liberals are always against freedom of speech and all conservatives are always for it.

Of course its different, its vastly different. But is not true that it "carries no weight whatsoever" as someone claimed.

But the argument that SCOTUS cases are somehow 'conservative' or 'liberal' doesn't make a lot of sense. Now the court itself may have leanings, evident by which cases they grant cert to and how they rule. Even the later can result in surprising twists and turns, as I doubt there have been many cases that are ruled according to any predictions. Even in this last one, the court did not take it as far as many thought they would.

That was what I said Larkin - the weight of law. I made the distinction from teh outset.

Forum List

Back