Describe your religious beliefs.

Mr.Conley

Jan 20, 2006
New Orleans, LA/Cambridge, MA
What are you religious beliefs?

I was raised Catholic, and still refer to myself as Christian. In reality however, I'm probably more of an agnostic flirting on the edge with atheism along with the bouts of nihilism.

I'm a Deist. I was raised Catholic, but I was staunchly atheist as a child and became Catholic when I was 14. Then when I was 16, I became a Deist. It just made more sense to me.

What are you religious beliefs?

I was raised Catholic, and still refer to myself as Christian. In reality however, I'm probably more of an agnostic flirting on the edge with atheism along with the bouts of nihilism.

My story is similar to yours. I have been raised a Catholic, I refer to myself as that, but I still can not help but question the existence of God.

I would not call myself a nihilist...I am nearly 100% sure of the existence of some higher power. I think of the big bang and wonder what created the singularity that ultimately gave birth to our universe? To put it quite simply...everything must start with something.

Still, I hope the bible's God and Jesus are that higher power. I pray nightly that my faith may one day grow stronger.

I'm a Deist. I was raised Catholic, but I was staunchly atheist as a child and became Catholic when I was 14. Then when I was 16, I became a Deist. It just made more sense to me.

Well it seems like the three of us sort of have similar stories.

I was born a poor black man in Tennessee...

Grew up Ass. of God (Pentecostal); attended non-denominational churches; was a youth pastor at a Church of the Nazarene, now attend another 'make/model' church.

My beliefs are best summed up as this: I believe in Christ - the Son of God, the creator of the universe. I believe in the un-fail-able word of God based from our Bible. I believe God is BIGGER than the bible; but what he's given us is 'enough'.

Well it seems like the three of us sort of have similar stories.
My belief system is straying from Deist, though. I've had enough encounters to know there is a God out there. But one of the many things I believe is that God is a woman.

I would currently describe myself as a Mahayana Buddhist Deist....

I was raised in a Pentacostal Church, was staunchly Atheist as a child, as well as angry at the religion that was forced on me...

Learned to simply let the past be the past, became less angry and more empathic to people with beliefs while I was in the Navy. During that time I met a Tibetan Buddhist Priest, whose beliefs didn't quite mesh with mine but were very close and got me very curious about Buddhism, found a Mahayana Center and finally "heard" the voice I had been listening for...

When I was discharged I couldn't find a Mahayana Center in the Denver Area and went to a Theravada Center instead. They are extremely close. For a long time I believed myself to be Theravada Buddhist... But the Deist Belief definitely puts me firmly in the Mahayana sector....

There y'all go... TMI!

I would currently describe myself as a Mahayana Buddhist Deist....

I was raised in a Pentacostal Church, was staunchly Atheist as a child, as well as angry at the religion that was forced on me...

Learned to simply let the past be the past, became less angry and more empathic to people with beliefs while I was in the Navy. During that time I met a Tibetan Buddhist Priest, whose beliefs didn't quite mesh with mine but were very close and got me very curious about Buddhism, found a Mahayana Center and finally "heard" the voice I had been listening for...

When I was discharged I couldn't find a Mahayana Center in the Denver Area and went to a Theravada Center instead. They are extremely close. For a long time I believed myself to be Theravada Buddhist... But the Deist Belief definitely puts me firmly in the Mahayana sector....

There y'all go... TMI!
I have to say that was the most interesting read ever. Not even one bit TMI. :)

I was raised very Catholic... Mass twice a week, Catholic school through high school. When I got married, we stopped attending church for awhile, until the kiddies came along. We went back to Mass, but Hubby HATED it (He didn't have to go to church much growing up). Went to a Church of Christ (Independent), and, even though the service was longer, my husband liked it, so there we stayed. My mom had influenced me, growing up, to accept the Bible as "literal," even though this is not the teaching of the Catholic Church. Made sense to me, either you believe it, or you don't. The Church of Christ holds to this, too, and is much more simple in terms of religion. Just whatever is in the Bible, that's what we believe. There are no intermediates between us and God (ie, priests for confession, prayer to saints). Just about obeying God so that He can accomplish the purpose for which He created us, and so that we are kept safe under His care. :)

I think it's interesting... everyone who has posted here has broken in some way from the religion of his youth.

I think it's interesting... everyone who has posted here has broken in some way from the religion of his youth.
Born Catholic, as a teen strayed towards questioning my beliefs, ignored it during college and in my early 20's, found Him through my kids and now I'm a true believer. Its not just faith for me- I know this stuff is real.

Born and raised in the Church of Christ (the denomination that Nienna mentioned). And I do mean born and raised - my grandfather was one of the more famous CoC preacher/evangelists in Texas. He baptized every one of his children/grandchildren. When my parents split and I moved in with my dad, I stopped going to church. In April of 1995, while in college, I reaffirmed my relationship with Christ. That's when I consider myself to have been "born again." Since then, I've attended Foursquare, Baptist, Disciples of Christ, Presbyterian, Nazarene, and non-denominational churches. I consider myself to be an evangelical born-again Christian.

I guess i should chime in here at some point. I guess ive been slow cause these threads come up all the time.

Im a latter-day saint.

Forum List

Back