Descendants of founder of Detroit didn't tell anyone they were going to visit city

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Theo and Jean Laumet grew up hearing stories of their family ties to the man who founded Detroit and inspired the Cadillac brand.

But the story was always something of a family myth.

It was not until the family made a return trip to the city that they came to know the full scope of their roots in Detroit.

Theo, Jean and their father Francois are direct descendants of the man considered the founding father of Detroit — Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. Born Antoine Laumet in the south of France, Cadillac came to what was called New France in 1683, where he became known as an excellent navigator. He set out on an expedition, ending on the Detroit River in 1701.

Detroit was officially founded July 24, 1701.
Descendants of founder of Detroit didn't tell anyone they were going to visit city

That's kind of cool but I'm not sure regular people would instinctively know whom to contact or even presume that it rise to the occasion of notifying anyone.

Theo and Jean Laumet grew up hearing stories of their family ties to the man who founded Detroit and inspired the Cadillac brand.

But the story was always something of a family myth.

It was not until the family made a return trip to the city that they came to know the full scope of their roots in Detroit.

Theo, Jean and their father Francois are direct descendants of the man considered the founding father of Detroit — Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. Born Antoine Laumet in the south of France, Cadillac came to what was called New France in 1683, where he became known as an excellent navigator. He set out on an expedition, ending on the Detroit River in 1701.

Detroit was officially founded July 24, 1701.

That's kind of cool but I'm not sure regular people would instinctively know whom to contact or even presume that it rise to the occasion of notifying anyone.

Yeah, who were they supposed to 'notify' anyway? :dunno:

I'm just amazed that a French guy turned out to be an excellent navigator, considering how they design cities. :eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back