Deregulation cost Texans more

Texas relies way too much on Wind, and natural gas.
21% of Texas energy output is wind- Natural Gas is and has been around a long time and plentiful- coal is also used as well as oil- the transmission (moving of oil and gas) equipment froze. The Windmills froze- and the wind was all but non-existent down here in the Houston area and the wind mills are all west and north of here in the flat land-
Texas wasn't prepared for for something that has never happened- at least in my lifetime (73years) and it hasn't snowed in Houston, in Feb, in 80 years- sub 20 degree weather for days on end and in a couple places it was in the minus column- the wind chill in Lubbock (500 miles north of Houston) was -15 - one morning when I got up (around 6 am it was 9 degrees about 40 miles north of Houston proper) the avg temp in the Houston area, in the winter, (Dec- Feb) is in the upper 30's and low 40's- that is average over 100 or so years-

Politicians and their acolytes blame it on politics-

The Wall Street Journal says Texans have paid 28 Billion dollars higher under deregulation than consumers in other states with regulations.
Coming as a surprise to no one.

Yet conservatives will continue to adhere blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative fiscal dogma.
What does politics have to do with it?
Politics has Everything to do with it! That's why people are calling on Abbott to re-----you know what it's like 1 in the morning and you're not even trying.
No, libtards are calling on Abbot to resign, because they make everything about politics.
Last post tonight for me. Read it dude...5 members of Texas' electrical grid board have resigned in shame. It's a political matter. Congress is going to look into it.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess 6 resigned now. So another person now.

Name the regulations that would had prevented this power outage.-theHawk

Read this...you can see how close Texas was to total meltdown and grid failure.

Yes, because Texas relies way too much on Wind, and natural gas. Even one of their nuclear plants shut down because of the cold. They bought into the Green Energy hoax, and paid the price. Now idiots on the left want them to go more into Green a Energy.
It seems your referring to this latest freeze witch shut down coal, natural gas, nuclear, 50%of the wind turbines .
It should be noted that depending on the source wind energy accounts for around 20% to 24% of Texas energy supply so with a fifty percent reduction then texas lost between 10% and 12% of their electrical supply during the freeze from wind. Not hardly the culprit for the state wide failure we saw. Especially when energy operators are supposed to maintain a 10 % reserve for high demand.
It should be further noted that the city of Elpaso who along with the rest of Texas had a similar freeze with similar results in 2010 but Elpaso learned from that freeze and they WINTERIZED THEIR ELECTRICAL INFRASTRUCTURE and this time around their down time was around 5 seconds.

The Wall Street Journal says Texans have paid 28 Billion dollars higher under deregulation than consumers in other states with regulations.
Another bullshit propaganda piece by somebody who doesn't live here.

Our utilities are not expensive. Of course, unless we continue to increase FUCKING STUPID energy sources like wind and solar.

Texas relies way too much on Wind, and natural gas.
21% of Texas energy output is wind- Natural Gas is and has been around a long time and plentiful- coal is also used as well as oil- the transmission (moving of oil and gas) equipment froze. The Windmills froze- and the wind was all but non-existent down here in the Houston area and the wind mills are all west and north of here in the flat land-
Texas wasn't prepared for for something that has never happened- at least in my lifetime (73years) and it hasn't snowed in Houston, in Feb, in 80 years- sub 20 degree weather for days on end and in a couple places it was in the minus column- the wind chill in Lubbock (500 miles north of Houston) was -15 - one morning when I got up (around 6 am it was 9 degrees about 40 miles north of Houston proper) the avg temp in the Houston area, in the winter, (Dec- Feb) is in the upper 30's and low 40's- that is average over 100 or so years-

Politicians and their acolytes blame it on politics-
Sir I respect your views and yes I agree that freezing weather is the primary culprit but the underlying cause is a lack of preparedness . As I’m sure you have read by now even your Governor is calling for winterization of the electrical infrastructure. Finally your point about this being an event that hasn’t happened as I think you mention in eighty years doesn’t square with the event that caused a similar power failure in Texas in 2010 or 2011 I’m not sure which as if this writing. There’s culpability here sir. Texan’s shouldn’t have had to suffer this way.

Coming as a surprise to no one.

Yet conservatives will continue to adhere blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative fiscal dogma.
All the legislation in question, dating back to 1995, was supported across the aisle in Austin

IMNSHO, though not scholarly, but, certainly thought out- the problem is in the regulators believing they can regulate profit- that causes all sorts of things to come out of the wood work. Rules are made to be broken, circumvented, gotten around and out right ignored- (see regulators for evidence)

There are people who live for that- some go to school and pay to learn it, some come by it naturally, some emulate others- that's where politicians fail- they refuse to recognize it, or, they just ignore it. It reminds me of something a chiropractor said once- there's always a gun fighter who's a little faster on the draw- politicians (regulators) always believe (or convince themselves and others) that this time they got it (whatever it is today) right, even though History says differently- then, you have Party acolytes who love to blame the other Party, or, in some cases capitalism, ignoring the facts, and evidence, to persuade the shallow minded, that they are brilliant beyond question because- well, the other guy isn't-

Sir I respect your views and yes I agree that freezing weather is the primary culprit but the underlying cause is a lack of preparedness . As I’m sure you have read by now even your Governor is calling for winterization of the electrical infrastructure. Finally your point about this being an event that hasn’t happened as I think you mention in eighty years doesn’t square with the event that caused a similar power failure in Texas in 2010 or 2011 I’m not sure which as if this writing. There’s culpability here sir. Texan’s shouldn’t have had to suffer this way.
Immaterial- after the fact usually is- the snow, in Houston, in February, hasn't happened in 80 years. I have never (in my 73 years) seen it that cold for that amount of time down here, 50+ of which I've lived in the Houston area- Temperature requires time to do it's job (take effect). Period. It's not an instantaneous result. The temps stayed sub 20 degrees for several days- the average temp in Houston, Dec - Feb is 30's and 40, with an occasional dip below freezing for a few hours. NEVER sustained-

You just want to blame somebody for something is what I read- so pick out a god, there are many to choose from.
Then read my other post- IDC what my governor is doing- he's a political hack and no different than any other political hack trying CYA after the fact to protect his career-

For your edification:
IMNSHO, though not scholarly, but, certainly thought out- the problem is in the regulators believing they can regulate profit- that causes all sorts of things to come out of the wood work. Rules are made to be broken, circumvented, gotten around and out right ignored- (see regulators for evidence)

There are people who live for that- some go to school and pay to learn it, some come by it naturally, some emulate others- that's where politicians fail- they refuse to recognize it, or, they just ignore it. It reminds me of something a chiropractor said once- there's always a gun fighter who's a little faster on the draw- politicians (regulators) always believe (or convince themselves and others) that this time they got it (whatever it is today) right, even though History says differently- then, you have Party acolytes who love to blame the other Party, or, in some cases capitalism, ignoring the facts, and evidence, to persuade the shallow minded, that they are brilliant beyond question because- well, the other guy isn't-

All my water gas and electric gets paid to my city.-Dekster

Yeah, can you not attack me and then say exactly what i just said.

Just for clarification, the average rate in Texas is 12.2/KWh. The average rate in California is 22.26/KWH. ( Electricity Rates by State (February 2021) | ChooseEnergy.com® ) The argument that not having regulations costs people more simply doesn't hold water.

Just for clarification, the average Texan was freezing to death last week with no power.

But when they don't need power it is cheap....

Electricity is a essential service as shown in the last few days in Texas...

That means we need a guaranteed supply... For that we should not be gouged...

Doctors don't stand above your daughter who is bleeding out and ask you how much she is worth to you... Because the guy behind you has started the bidding at 100k for my next hour of service.... (by the way that is unregulated capitalism)...

I thought you weren't allowed to use paywall articles for OPS, but I have a WSJ subscription so I was able to read it.

Note the article narrowly defined cost to the specific power rates paid to power companies for energy costs and wasn't total cost.

Also, the term "deregulation" is always massively misleading because they are actually massively regulated government created markets, not free enterprise. So raising costs with competition could only be done with government total ineptness. No one would be able to charge more in an actual free market with competitors. Think about it

Link!

That's a very general statement.
Over how years and on what?

Why don't you google the report and read it for yourself a$$hat?
Because the actual report is probably several hundreds pages long and is technically beyond our scope.
You think you can read anything and think you know what you read.

Which regulations are they missing?
Nearly 20 years ago, Texas shifted from using full-service regulated utilities to generate power and deliver it to consumers. The state deregulated power generation, creating the system that failed last week. And it required nearly 60% of consumers to buy their electricity from one of many retail power companies, rather than a local utility.

In other words our provider here (Oncor) sublets utilities to hundreds of companies here in the state, rather than doing it themselves. They are the local utility - but Texas has retail power companies that act as the middle man.

In short: Let's say you buy insurance. Well, you want a reputable company right? With a large brand...probably someone you have heard of and know by name. Someone with a track record. So you go with, let's say, Geico. That's cool. I doubt you would want to go with "Mom and Pop's Insurance Emporium" and then when you go to a make a claim, it's a crock.

But in Texas, in order to get your electricity, there are about 200 companies you can choose from and they're all offering you some kind of deal or rebate or maybe even a NEST system for free for joining. But wait, about 175 of these companies are start-ups you've never heard of...never seen a commercial for 'em...no idea if they'll answer when you call customer service...Yeah. Most Texans are getting their power from these little no-name companies and brands with no track record.

When I buy a product, I want a brand and a reputation behind it. Texas deregulation made it so that that is not a thing here. It's a corporate, Capitalist shitfest of a system meant to benefit shareholders and utility start-up CEO's.
Just about every state has local utility companies, as well as regional power grids.

Now I asked what regulations they don’t have. You didn’t answer my question.

Go look at the way they exchange power and their rates in the last few weeks adn you'll know

Power is capped in illinois, i will never see a 6k bill they can't just gouge irrelvant of the actual market value of the energy i receive. The providers will only be able to legally pay so much then they can't turn a profit so they wont' buy.

I could look up the relevant regulations but I don't need to. That's basic governance

We were jailing people for scalping toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Yea you can't gouge energy prices in a blizzard for fucks sake

WHole thing reeks of enron

This issue isn’t billing by the utility companies. The issue is the power outage, and the supposed “deregulation” that caused it.

The billing issues only applied to a very small percentage of people on a special program, and will likely get their bills fixed by the utility company or the state.

It's the outage + free market forces

If your grid goes down and the value of that energy skyrockets

THe providers have to pay those rates, then pass them on to the consumer.

In Illinios there are no exchanges to jack up the price of energy in response to an emergency. Even if the providers know the energy is worth more they have no valid way to gauge minute by minute value. Not so in texas.

Forum List

Back