Dems VS Bush + ARMY = More Iraq

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...pentagon/view/

US Defense Secretary Warns of Massive Bloodshed in Iraq if US Military Operations Curtailed

By Michael Bowman
Washington
05 April 2007

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says restricting U.S. military operations in Iraq could unleash massive bloodshed among the country's warring factions. VOA's Michael Bowman reports from Washington, where leaders of the opposition-led Congress are threatening to cut off most forms of military spending in Iraq if President Bush does not agree to a timetable for withdrawing U.S. forces from the country.

Secretary Gates issued the latest verbal salvo in an increasingly fierce power struggle between America's executive and legislative branches of government over the future of U.S. military involvement in Iraq.

Speaking on a domestic radio program Thursday, Gates warned of "ethnic cleansing inside Baghdad or in Iraq more broadly," if U.S. troops curtail operations in the strife-ridden nation.

Speaking with reporters at the Pentagon hours later, the secretary used somewhat milder language, but his point was the same.

"I believe that if we were to precipitously withdraw from Baghdad at this point, there would be a dramatic increase in sectarian violence," he said.

Gates said, prematurely winding down U.S. military operations would allow bands of murderers to roam free in Iraq.

"Those who are being tortured and being killed are being killed by death squads," he said. "By hit squads. This is not a large number of people turning out onto the streets and killing each other."

"These are targeted killings by relatively small numbers of people, in an attempt to stoke the sectarian violence, and, frankly, to make the Baghdad security plan fail - by hampering the reconciliation process," he added.

The Pentagon says it needs a new infusion of funds within weeks to continue the war effort in Iraq and Afghanistan. Both houses of the Democratic Party-controlled Congress have passed emergency spending bills that provide the money, but also establish dates for withdrawing U.S. forces.

President Bush says he will veto any bill that sets a timetable for a troop pullout. Democratic leaders have responded by pressing for even-starker legislation that would cut off funding for most forms of military operations in Iraq.

Many Democrats say U.S. efforts in Iraq have failed. But President Bush maintains that his current plan, increasing the number of U.S. troops in Baghdad and one of Iraq's violence-plagued provinces, is beginning to show some positive signs.

Appearing next to Secretary Gates was the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace.

The general said the troop build-up is on schedule, and will be completed by June. Secretary Gates said he is hopeful that the security plan for Iraq will succeed, thereby bolstering Iraq's fledging government. But he added, "there is a great reluctance to engage in 'happy talk.'"

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-04-05-voa64.cfm

The bottom line is...

We went there for bullshit reasons...Who can deny the truth shoved down our throats..that was used to make us believe.

Both parties are guilty as sin...Both parties use this excuse now.

Bush was a moron soon as he got word of the attack...Wake up & smell the roses...at least the dam coffee.

The sad thing is...We created this mess...The world will judge us..It already has.

This was not a mishap on information...Some asshole drug us into this.

Do we keep feeding the fire?...Our young men..not to mention our tax dollars?

The American People are pissed off....

What have we accomplished...What will we accomplish?

The time is going to come..to make some serious decisions.

We kicked open an ant hill...a pretty big one at that.

I hate seeing a Dem having the answer to clean this up...I don't have an ounce a faith anything is gona get better there.

It's like Russia turning Mexico into a Civil War...I'd want them to police that place..till hell freezes over.

Maybe this is taking responsibilty for our own actions..It hurts.

It sure is nice..this war...and killing is far off.

I always believed our soldiers were to protect our interests...to protect us from wrong.

This is way wrong...and I bet it was just a handful of assholes who got us into this mess to begin with.

We have a responsibility....How could can one even explain this mess to a 6th grader?...What sense can anyone make of this.

Now it is a DEM & Con Game...while we the American people swallow this crap...and the Iraqi people take the brunt.

Pissed off.

Creek

:clap2:

The bottom line is...

We went there for bullshit reasons...Who can deny the truth shoved down our throats..that was used to make us believe.

Both parties are guilty as sin...Both parties use this excuse now.

Bush was a moron soon as he got word of the attack...Wake up & smell the roses...at least the dam coffee.

The sad thing is...We created this mess...The world will judge us..It already has.

This was not a mishap on information...Some asshole drug us into this.

Do we keep feeding the fire?...Our young men..not to mention our tax dollars?

The American People are pissed off....

What have we accomplished...What will we accomplish?

The time is going to come..to make some serious decisions.

We kicked open an ant hill...a pretty big one at that.

I hate seeing a Dem having the answer to clean this up...I don't have an ounce a faith anything is gona get better there.

It's like Russia turning Mexico into a Civil War...I'd want them to police that place..till hell freezes over.

Maybe this is taking responsibilty for our own actions..It hurts.

It sure is nice..this war...and killing is far off.

I always believed our soldiers were to protect our interests...to protect us from wrong.

This is way wrong...and I bet it was just a handful of assholes who got us into this mess to begin with.

We have a responsibility....How could can one even explain this mess to a 6th grader?...What sense can anyone make of this.

Now it is a DEM & Con Game...while we the American people swallow this crap...and the Iraqi people take the brunt.

Pissed off.

Creek

Forum List

Back