DEMs trying to sneak $15/hr minimum wage into the Covid relief bill.

Which is fine. Just don't call it sneaking.
It IS fine, and I support a $15/hour minimum wage, as being good for workers and businesses both, however for companies with large numbers of unskilled workers, there probably should be some kind of support from the government. (ex. supermarkets)

The $15/hr minimum wage effect varies immensely from one company to another, depending on how they pay their workers. EX. For car lots and companies whose workers are on straight commissions, the $15/hr minimum wage represents nothing but increase in profits. Same thing with small sole proprietors, who have no employees at all.

Last edited:
I downloaded the 591 page Covid Relief Package for some casual reading. Look what I found on page 45! The scumbag Democrats trying to sneak the $15 Minimum wage law through amongst all the other PORK that is typical of a Democrat Omnibus spending bill. I'm still reading but I haven't seen much yet for direct Covid relief. I've heard only 10% of the bill is actually for Covid relief.

Here is the copy of page 45 of the bill:

45 Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 247d) with respect 1to the COVID–19 pandemic.’’. 2Subtitle B—Labor Matters 3SEC. 2101. RAISING THE FEDERAL MINIMUM WAGE. 4(a) MINIMUMWAGEINCREASES.— 5(1) IN GENERAL.—Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair 6Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 206(a)(1)) 7is amended to read as follows: 8‘‘(1) except as otherwise provided in this sec-9tion, not less than— 10‘‘(A) $9.50 an hour, beginning on the ef-11fective date under section 2101(e) of the Amer-12ican Rescue Plan Act of 2021; 13‘‘(B) $11.00 an hour, beginning 1 year 14after such effective date; 15‘‘(C) $12.50 an hour, beginning 2 years 16after such effective date; 17‘‘(D) $14.00 an hour, beginning 3 years 18after such effective date; 19‘‘(E) $15.00 an hour, beginning 4 years 20after such effective date; and 21‘‘(F) beginning on the date that is 5 years 22after such effective date, and annually there-23after, the amount determined
It's been all I er the news for weeks. That's hardly sneaking.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on Friday announced Democrats' "Plan B" to raise the minimum wage after the Senate parliamentarian ruled that an earlier proposal from House Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage $15 an hour did not meet special budgetary rules.

Wyden is proposing a workaround solution that would impose a 5 percent tax penalty on large corporations if any of their workers earn less than a certain amount, with the penalty increasing over time.

The language would ensure that large companies would have a significant financial incentive to raise wages, even if they are not mandated by law to pay employees more than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

Wyden said his plan would include safeguards to prevent companies from evading the penalty by outsourcing jobs.

"For example, if a profitable mega corporation like Walmart fires a store's security guard and replaces him with a contractor who makes far less, my proposal would still require that Walmart pays a penalty," Wyden said.

Wyden wants to incentivize what he calls "the smallest of small businesses" to raise workers' wages by providing an income tax credit equal to 25 percent of wages - up to $10,000 per year per employer - to businesses that boost wages.

By structuring incentives on large corporations and small businesses to boost wages as tax penalties and tax benefits, Wyden feels confident the parliamentarian will agree those reforms meet the Byrd Rule and can avoid a Republican filibuster.

I wonder if this 'Plan B' is constitutional, are you allowed to specifically target certain businesses instead of all businesses?

So you want it all your way. Biden left wiggle room and it looks like that wiggle room means that by mid Mar it will get passed without the 15 buck piece. You have gotten so used to "If you don't get your way, just burn it to the Ground" type GOP. 4 years of this nonsense, you can't stand it that people are cooperating. Sorry, we don't allow you to burn it to the ground anymore.

Welcome to USMB Vrenn

No, 'we' don't want it all 'your' way.

WE want the bill to reflect exactly as it'd referred to .... 'COVID RELIEF'

End of of story, period!

Sneak, my ass.

OKAY ;) Now what? lol!

Let's take a look at history. Each time a Min Wage was done, the Cost of Living went up equal to or more than the raise. And the COL goes up each year. If you were to even out the Min Wage to make up the difference right afterwards, the COL will go up equal to or more than. This leaves the middle class screwed who are just over the min wage. I know of one President that tried to do something about that in 1973 but he had his lunch eaten. He tried to get the Min Wage increased AND freeze the COL at the same time. That sent the Uber Rich Donors to the Dem Side and brought us Carter who is a very nice man but a very lousy President. The Nixon program was never adopted because Congress was already in Corporate Business's deep pockets.

Until someone comes up with a way of dealing with what I have said raising the Min Wage will hurt the Middle Class and the Rich will just get Richer.

So you want it all your way. Biden left wiggle room and it looks like that wiggle room means that by mid Mar it will get passed without the 15 buck piece. You have gotten so used to "If you don't get your way, just burn it to the Ground" type GOP. 4 years of this nonsense, you can't stand it that people are cooperating. Sorry, we don't allow you to burn it to the ground anymore.

Welcome to USMB Vrenn

No, 'we' don't want it all 'your' way.

WE want the bill to reflect exactly as it'd referred to .... 'COVID RELIEF'

End of of story, period!

And like every other bill, wiggle room is left in by both sides. Give a little to get a little. That is what makes Congress and the President work. Anything else and you get two sides that refuse to pass anything because "It ain't Burger King".

Welp, $15 / hour minimum wage is STILL in the Covid relief bill as it heads to the Senate. And then guess what happens? It gets rejected, And the bill stalls. Isn't it great how Democrats are Sooooooo concerned about providing EMERGENCY RELIEF for Covid that they jam up the bill with their $15 / hr minimum wage demands? You people who vote Democrat are dumb as doorknobs.

Welp, $15 / hour minimum wage is STILL in the Covid relief bill as it heads to the Senate. And then guess what happens? It gets rejected, And the bill stalls. Isn't it great how Democrats are Sooooooo concerned about providing EMERGENCY RELIEF for Covid that they jam up the bill with their $15 / hr minimum wage demands? You people who vote Democrat are dumb as doorknobs.
Wait the house passed it with it in there?

The way it's supposed to work is, the House puts in what it wants, sends the bill to the Senate. The Senate changes it to what they want and then sends it back to the house. This happens a couple of times until both houses agree. I will agree that this seems foreign to what's been going on for about the last 10 years or more but that's the way it's supposed to work. As of Jan 4th, the bottom desk drawer in the Senate will get a lot fewer house bills permanently sent to it.

I imagine that there is enough support in the Senate to some of the questionable items that there will be some changes. And Biden has already said that removing the Min Wage from it would not be a deal breaker.

Wow, a Congress that actually works. Imagine that.

Forum List

Back