Dems in 2016

The Democrats will do what they always do. Find a relatively unknown Democrat with charisma and a message and run him for President. It worked with JFK, Carter, Clinton and Obama. Didn't work so well with Dukakis

The Republicans will do what they always do. Elevate the next in line to run for President. Worked with Nixon, Reagan, Bush. Didn't work so well with Dole, McCain and Romney

I think 2016 is open to Republicans for the taking. Voters tend to switch parties every eight years and give the other party a shot. Republicans also have some strong potential candidates. It really comes down to can Republicans tone down the stupid?

I actually agree with you here. What they have to do is evaluate who they are and what they want to be. Do they want to try and tight rope walk the bible belt while preaching progressive ideals to the Northeast and out west? You can't have it both ways. Either go all in with the moral high ground or just get away from it altogether. Focus on the neutral issues like the economy and defense.

Social issues will always be around but rarely get resolved. The only thing that will get done soon is gay marriage. So the sooner republicans get out of it's way, the sooner they can drop it from the headlines. Abortion is never going to be illegal. What they need is a strong leader to get up there and say, "Abortion is not in my personal belief structure but I recognize the significance of Roe v Wade and what it has established. I don't agree with it but that's up to God to decide since our society allows it. We can't change that." Simple as that. The bible thumpers will have a fit but they ain't gonna vote Democrat and you can eliminate another social issue that is the key play card for the Dems.

With that they can focus on the economy stupid. Never has a president been re-elected with such a weak economy and high unemployment right... until this election. That just goes to show you how well the Democrats painted Republicans into a corner on social issues while allowing everyone to gloss over the last 4 years economically with a simple "It was Bush's fault."

The Republican message is weak and so are their top candidates. They need to decide what their message is going to be and then choose candidates that embody that message instead of picking guys that are least likely to lose.

Fiscal issues handled by the Federal Government.

Everything else handled by the states amd local governments.

I do realize however that it's easier said than done.

We'll most likely be facing a 20+ trillion dollar debt in 2016 .... As long as republicans get their head out of their ass and solve their messaging issues, I don't even think having Jesus on the ticket could save dems.

Keeping in mind of course, THIS line of thinking is what led the GOP to believe they could run anybody in 2012 using a platform of "Anybody but Obama" and be successful...

We'll most likely be facing a 20+ trillion dollar debt in 2016 .... As long as republicans get their head out of their ass and solve their messaging issues, I don't even think having Jesus on the ticket could save dems.

I would suggest that it goes deeper than a "messaging" problem.
It's the ideology.
Did nominating Palin solve the woman problem with women voters?
Did nominating Ryan solve the Wisconsin problem?

So will nominating Rubio solve the Latino problem?
If your answer to that last one is yes, then you're still stuck trying to put lipstick on a pig imho.

Keeping in mind of course, THIS line of thinking is what led the GOP to believe they could run anybody in 2012 using a platform of "Anybody but Obama" and be successful...

Similar to 2004. Romney and Kerry are pretty much the same person.

It's the ideology.

If your answer to that last one is yes, then you're still stuck trying to put lipstick on a pig imho.

Indirectly offering free stuff and legalizing people in order to get votes certainly does work. Right you are... Maybe the next GOP nominee should campaign in Mexico. Sort of like running food stamp commericals there.

Last edited:

It's the ideology.

Indirectly offering free stuff and legalizing people in order to get votes certainly does work. Right you are... Maybe the nect GOP nominee should campaign in Mexico. Sort of like running food stamp commericals there.

Republicans don't offer free stuff?

Then why do so many billionaires support them?

Not totally, they nominated Romney, because it was his "turn". The GOP needs to stop nominating the guy who lost to the last loser.

Not totally, they nominated Romney, because it was his "turn". The GOP needs to stop nominating the guy who lost to the last loser.

Do you truly believe the GOP voters, who selected Romney, felt it was "his turn", or did they simply think he was the most palatable of the bunch in the primaries?

It's the ideology.

Indirectly offering free stuff and legalizing people in order to get votes certainly does work. Right you are... Maybe the nect GOP nominee should campaign in Mexico. Sort of like running food stamp commericals there.

Here's your big moment. Tell me what they offer for free. Oh and save the tax cuts for the rich bullshit as a response.

Do you truly believe the GOP voters, who selected Romney, felt it was "his turn", or did they simply think he was the most palatable of the bunch in the primaries?

His turn just like it was McCain's turn. The powers to be are idiots. Hence the POS we are now stuck with.

It's the ideology.

Messaging doesn't equal a token minority. Simply having a black man or a woman or a Latino on stage doesn't help.

Right now, it feels like a fight is brewing in the GOP party, those who feel they'd rather let the party die then compromise the message, and those that feel they need to change the conversation with minorities/women/the young and actively persue that vote.

It'll be an interesting 4 year, I think. :)

His turn just like it was McCain's turn. The powers to be are idiots. Hence the POS we are now stuck with.

I disagree. Romney was chosen because he was the least likely to lose of the bunch.

In this case, Romney was the only credible candidate in the primaries

Makes you wonder why super rich, PAC donors strung out the hopeless campaigns of Gingrich and Santorum for so long and damaged the Romney brand

Before a vote was cast, or a single primary debate, everyone knew who the nominee was. That whole dog and pony show was to vet Romney, he was the star.

Here's your big moment. Tell me what they offer for free. Oh and save the tax cuts for the rich bullshit as a response.

When was the last Republican who attacked farm subsidies in Red States? Is protecting oil companies from competition free stuff? Is offering to slash taxes free stuff? Is slashing environmental and worker protections free stuff?

When was the last Republican who attacked farm subsidies in Red States? Is protecting oil companies from competition free stuff? Is offering to slash taxes free stuff? Is slashing environmental and worker protections free stuff?

Aside from the farming subsidies, I'd say that's all just bad policy instead of free stuff.

Slashing taxes though would help not hurt everyone involved as long as they were across the board.

Aside from the farming subsidies, I'd say that's all just bad policy instead of free stuff.

Slashing taxes though would help not hurt everyone involved as long as they were across the board.

You saved me the trouble, thanks.

I'd like to hear more about how the oil companies are protected from competition.

I'd like to hear more about how the oil companies are protected from competition.

Why do we subsidize oil compaies making billion dollar profits?
Why do we allow them to drill on public land?
Why do we relax environmental policies to support oil profits?
Why do we fight new energy research?
Why fight cars that use energy sources other than oil?
Why protest making BP pay for its oil spill?

All Republican Free Stuff for oil companies

Rick Santorum is next in line to be nominated by the GOP.

:lol:

You're probaly right. I read somewhere yesterday that some thought he should have been the nominee.

A good man but electable? Not so likely in todays' America. :cool:

Neither was Romney...didn't stop you guys. He said 47% wouldn't vote for him It turns out just over 47% voted for him...so by his own math he actually got only a smidgen of the independent vote.

Forum List

Back