Democrats hold struggling moms hostage in day care dilemma

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Democrats in the Illinois General Assembly intentionally underfunded a program to help poor families pay for daycare so that it would run out of money in January and help them make the case for higher taxes. They don't care about poor people. They are merely pawns used to get them more power.

According to a memo from the current governor's office, the Quinn administration instructed the agency to operate as though it was fully funded, "despite knowing full well that doing so would create a funding shortfall in the second half of the fiscal year." The speculation is that Quinn expected to win re-election and pass a tax increase.

Democrats hold struggling moms hostage in day care dilemma - Chicago Tribune

No, but Democrats claim to be but use their social programs as leverage to force us to fund more social programs and thus more Democrat votes.

I wouldn't expect you to understand the hypocrisy here since you think that your ends justify any means.

Democrats in the Illinois General Assembly intentionally underfunded a program to help poor families pay for daycare so that it would run out of money in January and help them make the case for higher taxes. They don't care about poor people. They are merely pawns used to get them more power.

According to a memo from the current governor's office, the Quinn administration instructed the agency to operate as though it was fully funded, "despite knowing full well that doing so would create a funding shortfall in the second half of the fiscal year." The speculation is that Quinn expected to win re-election and pass a tax increase.

Could you find a non-subscription link?

Poor people can't get health coverage in general, and I have heard of a lot of stories of students that can't get anything - because they haven't contributed enough to social security. So it doesn't surprise me that poor people can't get access to daycare funding easily either. The funding rules for all these programs are so ridiculous already, and cut out large chunks of the US population solely on the basis of them earning too little or too much.

Let me get this straight.... You want me to pay for your health care, your food, your housing, your utilities and now your health care? Am I your daddy?

But that's not what the thread is about. It's about a Democrat Governor who underfunded a give-away so he could intentionally run it out of funding in order to justify a tax increase.
Anywhere but government, that would be a crime, but it's OK with the Libs 'cause it's for the "chilluns".

Let me get this straight.... You want me to pay for your health care, your food, your housing, your utilities and now your health care? Am I your daddy?

But that's not what the thread is about. It's about a Democrat Governor who underfunded a give-away so he could intentionally run it out of funding in order to justify a tax increase.
Anywhere but government, that would be a crime, but it's OK with the Libs 'cause it's for the "chilluns".
It is a standard government tactic. You have to always wonder why it is those programs that are the ones that need to be cut down to size as well.

When the state faces a shortfall NONE of the pork projects are even given a thought. It is the police, fire, parks and other visible and JUSTIFIED governmental programs that are under the chopping block. Not the waste.

It's about getting people hooked on a program, then threatening to take it away. No government program is ever temporary and the politicians keep sweetening the pot. The people who want to be supported by tax payers will then vote for the person vowing to keep it going. The ones who vote for nanny government know they won't be the ones footing the bill and are just voting to get themselves freebies. This is just one of the things that our forefathers warned would bring the country down. The ride is already getting bumpy.

Too many people now look to government for everything, which is exactly what the liberals want. And they claim that people just aren't capable of improving their own lives.

Lets do a trade, I will pay for your healthcare, food, housing, cat, and even the baby next door - as long as you stop making me pay for perpetual wars, and never ending bailouts, that plunge America into trillions of debt. I don't think the 'left' is asking for much here.

I have read the essay regarding the $300 million budget shortfall that is hurting the Illinois Child Care Assistance Program. The article’s author, Diana Sroka Rickert, accuses the Democratic members of the Illinois Senate of holding struggling mothers hostage regarding this dilemma.

Although I trust no politician of any political party blindly, I question the sincerity expressed in her (and, presumably, the Illinois Policy Institute’s) conclusion to this essay: “It is disgraceful how the politicians who claim to care about these women — who are trotting them out in public hearings to share their plight with all the world — are the ones who put them in this position in the first place. These mothers deserve better than to be pawns on their political chessboard.”

If one does any amount of research regarding the Illinois Policy Institute, it becomes apparent that it is a right-wing think tank that promotes: free-market principles of allowing corporations to operate with as few regulations as possible, otherwise known as laissez-faire capitalism; decreases in income taxes, particularly on the super rich; the vilification of labor unions so as to successfully advocate for the starving-the-beast tactic most commonly referred to as “right to work”; and charter schools.

It appears her essay does more to lay blame than to suggest solutions. If Ms. Rickert, the Illinois Policy Institute and/or other right-wing leaning organizations truly cared about the sufferings of working class and working poor mothers in this state, they would advocate for social and economic policies that due more to help than hurt us.

For instance, she would advocate for the generation of more revenue into the state’s coffers via the reinstatement of the 5% individual income tax rate, as well as the voter-approved ballot measure advising the Illinois legislature to raise taxes on incomes greater than $1 million to provide additional revenue to schools. Instead, her essay mentions in passing that “many are pointing to this situation as evidence that Illinois should have higher taxes.” She also appears to ridicule taxation by stating that Illinois taxpayers “give our elected officials approximately $36 billion…” and “Illinois politicians refuse to live within their means.” Perhaps, she and the Illinois Policy Institute disagree with the famous quote from U.S. Supreme Court Justice Wendell Holmes, Jr.: “Taxes are what we pay for civilized society.” We pay taxes to the state of Illinois so that our state can continue to function for all of its residents. This is our investment in the infrastructure of our state. Our elected officials are tasked with properly managing these funds on the taxpayers’ behalf. Taxes are our monies meant to equally benefit the human residents of this state. That’s why we become upset when it’s been found that these funds have been mismanaged, abused or evaded.

If she, Governor Bruce Rauner, the Illinois legislators and others truly care about the struggles of Illinois mothers, they would cause the immediate cessation by businesses in this state of the outsourcing of American jobs to foreign nations whose human laborers are not nearly as well protected as our own. Instead, they promote the apparently anti-middle-class policies of a governor who earned some of his millions of dollars in the job outsourcing industry.

If Ms. Rickert’s expressed sympathies are sincere, she should support our fight to raise the minimum wage to a level that enables all working mothers to afford to live above the line of poverty on only one job. That way working mothers, both married and single, could spend more time with their children than with employers who exploit the economic disparities created by austerity-prone trickle-down economics and feckless free-trade agreements. Additionally, this would help to reduce the number of families dependent upon the Child Care Assistance Program and other forms of government assistance in the first place. In other words, raising the minimum wage to at least $15 per hour would reduce spending, a concern alluded to in Ms. Rickert’s essay.

Will Ms. Rickert call for the introduction of legislation that would ensure that women are paid equally when working in the same or similar occupations that are filled by men? What’s her opinion about passing legislation that forces employers to give maternity/paternity leave that is separate from earned vacation days?

Does she include the “struggling mothers” amongst state employees whose collective bargaining rights are under attack by a governor who reportedly made more than $25,000.00 per hour last year, but thinks it should take seven years to raise the state’s minimum hourly wage from $8.25 to $10?

Where do she and the Illinois Policy Institute stand on the fight to make college education affordable for us Illinois women as mothers of college-bound children and as students ourselves? Does she support the call for two years of free community college education? Is she aware that annual tuition at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign used to be as low as $170 (1966-1967) for state residents? As someone who appears to advocate spending within one’s means, perhaps Ms. Rickert would agree that eliminating the need for student loans would definitely help Illinois moms.

Whatever the true nature of her stance regarding “struggling mothers”, I know that I, for one, would greatly appreciate it if she and the Illinois Policy Institute would stop their own efforts of treating these women and the rest of us Illinois residents as “pawns on their political chessboard.”

You can tell a lot about lying liberals by how they treat the poor and middle class. Oregon for example slams the poor with high income taxes WHAM 9% on anything over $8,250 a year. If they earn less than $6,500 WHAM 7% income tax.

Lets do a trade, I will pay for your healthcare, food, housing, cat, and even the baby next door - as long as you stop making me pay for perpetual wars, and never ending bailouts, that plunge America into trillions of debt. I don't think the 'left' is asking for much here.
Wars are necessary. Defence is the responsibility of government. Your food, housing and cat are YOUR responsibility. I don't know about the baby next door, but a DNA test would tell you for sure.
LINK
Since 1964 when the so called "Great Society" started, we have spent 22 trillion dollars on our failed "War on Poverty". That's $22,000,000,000,000 or 3 times as much as we've spent on all wars from the Revolution to present.
We've got a deficit approaching 17 trillion and we've spent a total of 7 trillion on wars and 22 trillion on social programs.

Your argument defies logic.

Wars are necessary. Defence is the responsibility of government. Your food, housing and cat are YOUR responsibility. I don't know about the baby next door, but a DNA test would tell you for sure.
LINK
Since 1964 when the so called "Great Society" started, we have spent 22 trillion dollars on our failed "War on Poverty". That's $22,000,000,000,000 or 3 times as much as we've spent on all wars from the Revolution to present.
We've got a deficit approaching 17 trillion and we've spent a total of 7 trillion on wars and 22 trillion on social programs.

Funny how the debt and the cost of the War on Poverty are essentially the same amount.

Idiots in this country think bread and circuses for the masses will ensure domestic tranquillity.

And it will, as long as you can print or borrow the money, which is NOT forever.

LINK

You have forgotten to include the more than 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities social programs have caused. That alone dwarfs all of our military spending, but the left will never admit it.

No they are just perpetrating a fraud.

two generations ago, you would have kissed the ground our troops walked on...and you most certainly would not have been willing to trade dollars for war for ANYTHING.
You guys just don't get it. All you have are talking points.

Forum List

Back