Democrats donate to legal defense fund for Capitol rioter

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
These donations are legal, so I support their right to make these donations.

At the same time, I disagree with these donations.

North Dakota Republicans blast Democrats for donating to man accused of vandalizing GOP senator's office

North Dakota Republicans blast Democrats for donating to man accused of vandalizing GOP senator's office

January 20, 2021

North Dakota Republicans have an ax to grind with their Democratic counterparts after local officials supported a man accused of vandalizing a U.S. senator's office.

A GoFundMe page, reported by the local Jamestown Sun, shows North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party Chairwoman Kylie Oversen, party official Ellie Shockley, and 2012 lieutenant gubernatorial contender Ellen Chaffee contributed donations to Thomas Alexander Starks, for whom a legal defense fund was opened after he was charged for allegedly using an ax to destroy the windows and intercom systems of Sen. John Hoeven's office on Dec. 21. The 30-year-old faces up to five years in prison if convicted of the Class C felony charge of criminal mischief.

A statement issued by the North Dakota Republican Party this month named Oversen, claiming that such donations were tantamount to endorsing politically charged crime.

“It is inexcusable that Chairwoman Overson [sic] would be personally involved in supporting a far-left extremist whose violent actions constitute an assault on our democracy," Chairman Rick Berg said on Jan. 6. "Video evidence leaves little in doubt about this attack, so it is unfathomable why ND Dem-NPL officials would lend their name and financial support to a man they refer to as ‘innocent.'" Oversen released a statement defending her $100 contribution to the cause, arguing that Starks is entitled to a robust legal defense.

“I firmly believe that everyone, no matter their socioeconomic status, deserves a full and rigorous defense when accused of a crime," she said. "I plainly and resolutely condemn violence, including against elected officials and public property. My donation does not reflect my views on the incident.”

Shockley and Chaffee also contributed small amounts, donating $500 and $100, respectively.

Starks's preliminary hearing is set for Thursday. Representatives for the North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party and Hoeven did not immediately reply to a request for comment. The North Dakota Democratic-Nonpartisan League Party is the North Dakota affiliate of the national Democratic Party, the result of a merger between the Nonpartisan League and the Democratic Party in North Dakota.

These donations are legal, so I support their right to make these donations.

At the same time, I disagree with these donations.

January 20, 2021

North Dakota Republicans have an ax to grind with their Democratic counterparts after local officials supported a man accused of vandalizing a U.S. senator's office.

A GoFundMe page, reported by the local Jamestown Sun, shows North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party Chairwoman Kylie Oversen, party official Ellie Shockley, and 2012 lieutenant gubernatorial contender Ellen Chaffee contributed donations to Thomas Alexander Starks, for whom a legal defense fund was opened after he was charged for allegedly using an ax to destroy the windows and intercom systems of Sen. John Hoeven's office on Dec. 21. The 30-year-old faces up to five years in prison if convicted of the Class C felony charge of criminal mischief.

A statement issued by the North Dakota Republican Party this month named Oversen, claiming that such donations were tantamount to endorsing politically charged crime.

“It is inexcusable that Chairwoman Overson [sic] would be personally involved in supporting a far-left extremist whose violent actions constitute an assault on our democracy," Chairman Rick Berg said on Jan. 6. "Video evidence leaves little in doubt about this attack, so it is unfathomable why ND Dem-NPL officials would lend their name and financial support to a man they refer to as ‘innocent.'" Oversen released a statement defending her $100 contribution to the cause, arguing that Starks is entitled to a robust legal defense.

“I firmly believe that everyone, no matter their socioeconomic status, deserves a full and rigorous defense when accused of a crime," she said. "I plainly and resolutely condemn violence, including against elected officials and public property. My donation does not reflect my views on the incident.”

Shockley and Chaffee also contributed small amounts, donating $500 and $100, respectively.

Starks's preliminary hearing is set for Thursday. Representatives for the North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party and Hoeven did not immediately reply to a request for comment. The North Dakota Democratic-Nonpartisan League Party is the North Dakota affiliate of the national Democratic Party, the result of a merger between the Nonpartisan League and the Democratic Party in North Dakota.
Lol this country is insane

Forum List

Back