Democrats court packing rhetoric is a mistake...

...unless they believe the confirmation of Amy Barrett has totally demoralized their base...Schumer and the Democrats proclamations of retaliation and court-packing will only hurt them with independents and undecideds.

That's my opinion...what is yours?

--------
Democrats say Republicans will regret Barrett confirmation, slam 'manipulation' of Supreme Court

The Dems want the Supreme ct to have a Liberal majority, but increasing the number of justices by itself will not be enough. To get control, they need to make sure the additional judges are liberal Democrats and that means they have to control which judges sit on the SC. The only way to do that is to get a majority of Democrats in the Senate so they can confirm only the Liberal ones. That's why they talk about statehood for DC and Puerto Rico.
They have alot to do to achieve their aims and much of it will be difficult. The last court packing plan failed in 1937 because Congress refused to cooperate.

Lets be clear the present Senate in the last 3 elections have Democrats 55% and GOP 44%, yet GOP have the majority... That is grossly antidemocratic...

Appointing justices should not be a winner take all and McConnell betrayed that...

I agree

I think appointing judges should be done by a nonpartisan group and terms should be limited to 18 years

Agreed... basically a new judge appointed every two years... I think because of the demands on the court it needs to be increased as well... It also means that a 8 year president can't have such a huge sway (i.e. 4 out of 5 justices, 4 out of 11 OR 4 out of 13)... Justices don't need to be on every decision except important ones (much like the appeals court), say a conservative and liberal sit the odd one out...

Also I think presidents might no be able to appoint justices immediately... may be a cool off period of a year or two... So Presidents can't appoint a justice to save his own neck or get super favourable decisions immediately...

...unless they believe the confirmation of Amy Barrett has totally demoralized their base...Schumer and the Democrats proclamations of retaliation and court-packing will only hurt them with independents and undecideds.

--------
Democrats say Republicans will regret Barrett confirmation, slam 'manipulation' of Supreme Court

Talking about packing the court has no downside

What are republicans going to do?

Pack the court even harder? lol

Openly talking about getting rid of the filibuster....Maybe a more questionable choice. But Republcians don't really want to do anything so it's not that big of a deal again hahaha

--------

The Dems want the Supreme ct to have a Liberal majority, but increasing the number of justices by itself will not be enough. To get control, they need to make sure the additional judges are liberal Democrats and that means they have to control which judges sit on the SC. The only way to do that is to get a majority of Democrats in the Senate so they can confirm only the Liberal ones. That's why they talk about statehood for DC and Puerto Rico.
They have alot to do to achieve their aims and much of it will be difficult. The last court packing plan failed in 1937 because Congress refused to cooperate.

Lets be clear the present Senate in the last 3 elections have Democrats 55% and GOP 44%, yet GOP have the majority... That is grossly antidemocratic...

Lets be clear the present Senate in the last 3 elections have Democrats 55% and GOP 44%, yet GOP have the majority...
which 3 elections?

in 2016, Republicans held the Senate, and still hold it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back