Democratize the U.N.

Gurdari

Egaliterra
Feb 2, 2007
the West
It's time. Disband the U.N., and reform it as a democratic institution.
Then nobody can blame the U.S. for standing in the way of peace, human rights, etc. anymore. No veto, no problem.

It's time. Disband the U.N., and reform it as a democratic institution.
Then nobody can blame the U.S. for standing in the way of peace, human rights, etc. anymore. No veto, no problem.

Agreed. Leave the US out of the UN, permanently.

Sadly, the U.N. has morphed into the Society for the Mutual Aid and Protection of Despots and Totalitarians, with a token representation of free societies.

I do think there is some merit in having a forum for international discussion and debate on global issues. It would be better, however, to relocate the U.N. to a third world country which is more representative of the general membership. Let the diplomats live in the conditions they largely promote.

Sadly, the U.N. has morphed into the Society for the Mutual Aid and Protection of Despots and Totalitarians, with a token representation of free societies.

I do think there is some merit in having a forum for international discussion and debate on global issues. It would be better, however, to relocate the U.N. to a third world country which is more representative of the general membership. Let the diplomats live in the conditions they largely promote.

I'd say that the time for the US to belong to anything resembling the UN is over. We need to deal with countries individually or in blocks, depending on the circumstances. There are organizations we can belong to, but not being hamstrung, villified, and paying for it like the UN.

The only thing I don't understand, why democracy is so important to America, but it doesn't want the UN to become one...?

There is something inherently unfair when the EU, gets all countries votes; where OPEC and ARAB League countries all get all countries votes; but US, gets 1, even though a handful of our states contain more people and space than any bloc. Canada too, one vote, though in essence 2 countries. Not even going into the states deal.

There is nothing 'fair' in UN and the advantage is not to the US or West as a whole.

There is something inherently unfair when the EU, gets all countries votes; where OPEC and ARAB League countries all get all countries votes; but US, gets 1, even though a handful of our states contain more people and space than any bloc. Canada too, one vote, though in essence 2 countries. Not even going into the states deal.

There is nothing 'fair' in UN and the advantage is not to the US or West as a whole.

Do you think a system of votes proportional to population would work?
At some point this planet will need some sort of legal understanding, or agreement.

Do you think a system of votes proportional to population would work?
At some point this planet will need some sort of legal understanding, or agreement.

Actually at this point, I say we run our country our way, let other countries run theirs the way they choose. As for 'foreign relations' let everyone make those they wish, to the best of their power.

Actually at this point, I say we run our country our way, let other countries run theirs the way they choose. As for 'foreign relations' let everyone make those they wish, to the best of their power.

So you would leave Iran alone, Israel alone, Iraq alone?

I'm pleasantly surprised.

So as long as another country keeps it's army away from your borders... its missiles out of your airspace, etc. no war. No invasions?

Everyone will work from their own interests, by their own abilities.

Everyone will work from their own interests, by their own abilities.

So that's what happens now... and in the past... why change a course of action for no new results? You can still offer your own personal opinion on my question.

So that's what happens now... and in the past... why change a course of action for no new results? You can still offer your own personal opinion on my question.

I already have. If my opinions were law, we'd already be out of the UN.

I already have. If my opinions were law, we'd already be out of the UN.

Great, so if your opinions were law...
would you pull your army back to your borders and not invade anyone (part of leaving governments to govern themselves)?

Great, so if your opinions were law...
would you pull your army back to your borders and not invade anyone (part of leaving governments to govern themselves)?

Not necessarily. We should do whatever is in our best interests. If diplomacy works when necessary, :cool: When not, whatever it takes.

Not necessarily. We should do whatever is in our best interests. If diplomacy works when necessary, :cool: When not, whatever it takes.

glad to hear ethnic cleansing is not off the table. Neither is nuclear anihilation of another country. We'll probably never agree on the rule of law and whether it should apply evenly.

New Topics

Forum List

Back