Democrat Rep on CNN: We don't want Small Businesses

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) told CNN in an interview on Sunday that he and presumably other Democrats “don’t want low-wage” small businesses as he advocated for increasing the minimum wage. “We don’t want low-wage businesses,” he said when asked if mom and pop shops should be forced to pay employees more. “I think most successful small businesses can pay a fair wage.”

No beating around the bush there. The Rich and big-time Corporations only. F these local businesses who don't succeed by economies of scale. No open market of ideas. If you can't pay what I think you should, you should be erased.

The latest daily example of Leftist totalitarianism.
What is wrong with not wanting businesses that pay low wages? The state has one of the highest cost factors to exist there. The state is number one in the nation with GDP.
and people are leaving in droves
About time!

Hell no, and neither does the GOP of the last 40 years,

But recently Dems were whining that the Republicans wanted to shrink government and push Grandma off the cliff. Were the Dems lying, as usual?

all the GOP cares about is cutting taxes on the rich

So fascists are all about cutting taxes?
dude about 89 percent of the mega rich are hard core democrats
More like 50% and they want to raise taxes on themselves unlike the greedy idiot Republican mega rich brainwashers.
No one is stopping them from paying all they taxes they want. The problem comes when they want to force other people to pay their nefarious taxes.

But recently Dems were whining that the Republicans wanted to shrink government and push Grandma off the cliff. Were the Dems lying, as usual?

More like 50% and they want to raise taxes on themselves unlike the greedy idiot Republican mega rich brainwashers.
Elites often talk about wanting to raise taxes on themselves, and yet, they never actually pay more when given the chance. Most of the reason for why the elite pay less in taxes is due to deductions. If you're a billionaire with a lot of investments, you have access to various deductions most people don't have. For the deductions that don't have a cap, you can also deduct huge amounts.

So, if said billionaires really desired to pay more, all they would have to do is utilize fewer deductions. They don't, and so their rhetoric is obviously false.

What more often happens is that the nominal top tax rate is raised, but no changes are made to the AMT. The AMT is usually the only rate that billionaires have to contend with on the federal level, since it can't be deducted below. However, they can still get around this through manipulation of funds into companies and overseas accounts.

When the top nominal tax rate is raised, it typically only affects the bottom end of the top bracket -- typically small business owners. This is why small business owners are much more likely to be conservative on fiscal policy. They tend to pay the highest percentage of their income in taxes under any system of progressive tax rates. It's why they often push for a flat tax rate or against income taxes overall.

The billionaires don't really care, because they have so many ways to avoid income tax.

No one is stopping them from paying all they taxes they want. The problem comes when they want to force other people to pay their nefarious taxes.
Spoken like the perfect dupe of the greedy idiot GOP....

Elites often talk about wanting to raise taxes on themselves, and yet, they never actually pay more when given the chance. Most of the reason for why the elite pay less in taxes is due to deductions. If you're a billionaire with a lot of investments, you have access to various deductions most people don't have. For the deductions that don't have a cap, you can also deduct huge amounts.

So, if said billionaires really desired to pay more, all they would have to do is utilize fewer deductions. They don't, and so their rhetoric is obviously false.

What more often happens is that the nominal top tax rate is raised, but no changes are made to the AMT. The AMT is usually the only rate that billionaires have to contend with on the federal level, since it can't be deducted below. However, they can still get around this through manipulation of funds into companies and overseas accounts.

When the top nominal tax rate is raised, it typically only affects the bottom end of the top bracket -- typically small business owners. This is why small business owners are much more likely to be conservative on fiscal policy. They tend to pay the highest percentage of their income in taxes under any system of progressive tax rates. It's why they often push for a flat tax rate or against income taxes overall.

The billionaires don't really care, because they have so many ways to avoid income tax.
The rich have had 40 years of giants killing people tax cuts under Republicans, to the point where we have a flat tax system if you count all taxes. But thanks for the b******* double talk.

The rich have had 40 years of giants killing people tax cuts under Republicans, to the point where we have a flat tax system if you count all taxes. But thanks for the b******* double talk.

What part of my post was double talk? I mentioned a lot of specifics. Are you not familiar with the AMT or how deductions work?

What part of my post was double talk? I mentioned a lot of specifics. Are you not familiar with the AMT or how deductions work?
If you count all taxes, we have a flat tax system, a huge giveaway to the rich and a screw job for everyone else. That's at least 30 years now of GOP tax rates. The rest pay too much if anything.

If you count all taxes, we have a flat tax system, a huge giveaway to the rich and a screw job for everyone else. That's at least 30 years now of GOP tax rates. The rest pay too much if anything.
You're not very good at math or history, but I can see that your partisanship overrules your logic. The biggest tax cuts since the 80s have been bipartisan. I don't expect you to have a logical or accurate response to this post in the same way you failed to do so in the last 2. For this reason, I'll let you continue your dogma with someone else.

You're not very good at math or history, but I can see that your partisanship overrules your logic. The biggest tax cuts since the 80s have been bipartisan. I don't expect you to have a logical or accurate response to this post in the same way you failed to do so in the last 2. For this reason, I'll let you continue your dogma with someone else.
They are Republican bills that give tax cuts to the rich. You can always find a few Democrats to vote for anything. Republicans only need 51 votes to cut taxes for the rich and programs for regular people- that's all they want. Reform takes 60 votes. Quite the scam. I admire and respect your opinion lol.

They are Republican bills that give tax cuts to the rich. You can always find a few Democrats to vote for anything. Republicans only need 51 votes to cut taxes for the rich and programs for regular people- that's all they want. Reform takes 60 votes. Quite the scam. I admire and respect your opinion lol.

They are Republican bills that give tax cuts to the rich. You can always find a few Democrats to vote for anything.

It got 89 votes in the Senate, with only 53 Republicans in the Senate.
It got 238 votes in the House, with only 191 Republicans in the House.

Reform takes 60 votes.

Bullshit.

My favorite example of this, was Warren Buffet with this pledge to give away his stock.

While Buffet claims that the super wealthy should pay more in taxes, Buffet himself has carefully crafted his wealth give away plan, to avoid paying almost any taxes.

First Buffet makes the choice to donate the stock itself, rather the selling his assets, and donating the resulting fortune to charity.

Because if Buffet sold the stock, he would have to pay taxes on that income. Instead he donates the stock itself to the charities, and of course the charity itself, avoids paying taxes by holding the stock in trust.

Additionally, not only does Buffet avoid paying tax on the donated shares of Berkshire Hathaway, but Buffet carefully limits the amount of stock he donates to charity, to be within the maximum cap on charitable deductions, so that he can minimize the amount of taxes he pays on the income that he keeps.

He never donates more shares of Berkshire Hathaway, than he can claim a tax deduction on.

And of course, what nearly everyone seems to not know.......... The entire pledge to give away his wealth, is actually a sham.

Warren Buffet has a massive personal fortune, that exists outside his public life, that is estimated at tens of billions. We know about the wealth he has from Berkshire Hathaway, because it's a public company. But his personal private fortune, is rather unknown. People have only guessed at how much in assets he owns that are not public.

Of course he has made no effort that we know of to donate any of that fortune.

So the whole thing is a self righteous left-wing PR scam, and it works because people have no idea how much he has in hidden wealth.

But regardless, the point you were making is dead on right. The rich and wealthy, while talking big about how the wealthy should pay more tax, do everything in their power to avoid taxes themselves.

My favorite example of this, was Warren Buffet with this pledge to give away his stock.

While Buffet claims that the super wealthy should pay more in taxes, Buffet himself has carefully crafted his wealth give away plan, to avoid paying almost any taxes.

First Buffet makes the choice to donate the stock itself, rather the selling his assets, and donating the resulting fortune to charity.

Because if Buffet sold the stock, he would have to pay taxes on that income. Instead he donates the stock itself to the charities, and of course the charity itself, avoids paying taxes by holding the stock in trust.

Additionally, not only does Buffet avoid paying tax on the donated shares of Berkshire Hathaway, but Buffet carefully limits the amount of stock he donates to charity, to be within the maximum cap on charitable deductions, so that he can minimize the amount of taxes he pays on the income that he keeps.

He never donates more shares of Berkshire Hathaway, than he can claim a tax deduction on.

And of course, what nearly everyone seems to not know.......... The entire pledge to give away his wealth, is actually a sham.

Warren Buffet has a massive personal fortune, that exists outside his public life, that is estimated at tens of billions. We know about the wealth he has from Berkshire Hathaway, because it's a public company. But his personal private fortune, is rather unknown. People have only guessed at how much in assets he owns that are not public.

So the whole thing is a self righteous left-wing PR scam, and it works because people have no idea how much he has in hidden wealth.

But regardless, the point you were making is dead on right. The rich and wealthy, while talking big about how the wealthy should pay more tax, do everything in their power to avoid taxes themselves.

That's not true. His cash income has never been very high.
He's donated way more shares than he's ever earned in his lifetime.

His 2019 donations totaled $3.6 billion and his total donations since 2006 are $34 billion, representing 45% of what he pledged at the time.

What's the largest charitable donation Warren Buffett ever made? (investopedia.com)

That's not true. His cash income has never been very high.
He's donated way more shares than he's ever earned in his lifetime.

His 2019 donations totaled $3.6 billion and his total donations since 2006 are $34 billion, representing 45% of what he pledged at the time.

What's the largest charitable donation Warren Buffett ever made? (investopedia.com)

I'll see if I can find that article again.

What is wrong with not wanting businesses that pay low wages? The state has one of the highest cost factors to exist there. The state is number one in the nation with GDP.
We all want high wages for AMERICAN workers

even libs

but the left also wants to flood America with illiterates from latin America and and scab workers from India who undercut wages for American citizens

and they cant have it both ways

The great resignation has helped things. It has been the free market at its best. Competition for employees is what makes the economy healthy.

Forum List

Back