Democrat defends criminals who carry illegal guns while pushing to punish legal gun owners.....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is the problem....the democrat party does not want to prosecute actual criminals who use guns, while at the same time increasing penalties on law abiding gun owners....

Case in point....

While Winfield has pushed gun control in the past, he’s also been cool to the idea of expanding the state’s current “assault weapons” ban to include those who lawfully purchased their firearms before the ban took effect.
----------
Winfield has also previously spoken in favor of things like community gun violence intervention programs and other non-law enforcement mechanisms to reduce violent crime by addressing root causes, and during Monday’s hearing
he was extremely critical of the bills backed by Connecticut’s mayors, which would create the new (and vaguely-worded) crime of “serious firearm offense” and allow for repeat offenders to be held on higher bond and immediate revocation of parole or probation if arrested for a gun-related offense. In fact, Winfield touched a third-rail for Democrats and the gun control lobby, noting that many of the guys illegally carrying guns in New Haven are doing so not because they’re violent criminals, but because they want to protect themselves.
---------
It would define a serious gun offense as “possession of a stolen firearm or a firearm that is altered in a manner that renders the firearm unlawful, criminal possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a felony or the act of brandishing or shooting a firearm while threatening another person.”

Winfield, whose home in New Haven once was struck by gunfire, told Elicker that illegally possessing a gun on the streets of New Haven or Hartford should not expose young men to higher bail or the loss of parole.

I'm confused here..........if you want to condemn the mayor OK BUT.........the laws backed earlier by Senator Winfield that the website condemn as "gun control" are not. He supported laws to keep your gun locked up when not in your control and the banning of people creating guns with no registration numbers. Hardly extreme positions.

These bills would require guns to be stored in locked containers in homes with minors, prohibit the manufacturing of firearms without serial numbers and “ghost guns,” and require pistols and firearms in unattended motor vehicles to be locked and secured.

Now he is against making it illegal to own guns that you purchased before a law went in place and he is going to get condemned for that?

he’s also been cool to the idea of expanding the state’s current “assault weapons” ban to include those who lawfully purchased their firearms before the ban took effect.

Really? That's a bad thing?

Now he is also against some "vaguely worded" law and that's bad?

I think we can see where the problem actually lies here if you actually click on the internal links.

he’s also been cool to the idea of expanding the state’s current “assault weapons” ban to include those who lawfully purchased their firearms before the ban took effect.
Well I guess if you want to turn law abiding folks into criminals.

Ain't nobodies busniess what I do in my home including how I keep my stuff put up or not.

If you wish to give kids access to your guns lying around, I don't think I would brag on that.

If you wish to give kids access to your guns lying around, I don't think I would brag on that.
I grew up around guns. Had my first rifle of my own at 6, granted it was just a 22 but had my first 20 gauge at 8 years old. My kids all grew up with guns in the house. Kids that have never been exposed to death early from a firearm (hunting) and or have experience with them will usually be curious and that is how they get into trouble.

I grew up around guns. Had my first rifle of my own at 6, granted it was just a 22 but had my first 20 gauge at 8 years old. My kids all grew up with guns in the house. Kids that have never been exposed to death early from a firearm (hunting) and or have experience with them will usually be curious and that is how they get into trouble.

Great but that's what every gun owner says until something bad happens. I fully support people's right to own guns but sheesh, I'm not going to argue to leave them laying around where kids can get hold of them.

I'm confused here..........if you want to condemn the mayor OK BUT.........the laws backed earlier by Senator Winfield that the website condemn as "gun control" are not. He supported laws to keep your gun locked up when not in your control and the banning of people creating guns with no registration numbers. Hardly extreme positions.

These bills would require guns to be stored in locked containers in homes with minors, prohibit the manufacturing of firearms without serial numbers and “ghost guns,” and require pistols and firearms in unattended motor vehicles to be locked and secured.

Now he is against making it illegal to own guns that you purchased before a law went in place and he is going to get condemned for that?

Really? That's a bad thing?

Now he is also against some "vaguely worded" law and that's bad?

I think we can see where the problem actually lies here if you actually click on the internal links.

The first, is already unConstitutional...as per Heller.....the second is just stupid and pointless....

At the same time he is trying to increase the legal peril of normal people who own guns.....he is trying to keep actual criminals...with criminal records, from being punished for being caught with illegal guns.....

Please...try to tell us that makes sense....

If you are a criminal...with a criminal record, you are not allowed to buy, own or carry a gun.....meanwhile, they want to ruin the lives of normal gun owners for red tape violations of the law..

The first, is already unConstitutional...as per Heller.....the second is just stupid and pointless....

At the same time he is trying to increase the legal peril of normal people who own guns.....he is trying to keep actual criminals...with criminal records, from being punished for being caught with illegal guns.....

Please...try to tell us that makes sense....

If you are a criminal...with a criminal record, you are not allowed to buy, own or carry a gun.....meanwhile, they want to ruin the lives of normal gun owners for red tape violations of the law..

How is he wanting to ruin the lives of normal gun owners?

How is he wanting to ruin the lives of normal gun owners?

Increasing the Red Tape, and increasing legal peril for normal gun owners who don't actually use their guns for crime........merely not locking up a gun, and having the police find it, creates legal peril........

If they spent their time locking up actual criminals, they wouldn't have time to worry about normal gun owners.

Increasing the Red Tape, and increasing legal peril for normal gun owners who don't actually use their guns for crime........merely not locking up a gun, and having the police find it, creates legal peril........

If they spent their time locking up actual criminals, they wouldn't have time to worry about normal gun owners.

So again, you have no problem with people with kids in the house leaving guns laying around?

So again, you have no problem with people with kids in the house leaving guns laying around?

I have a problem with it, but if you let them make it a law, then next comes home inspections...that's what they have in Britain......if they want to promote safe gun storage, put out ads.......making it a law is simply a way to entrap normal gun owners...

More kids die from accidental poisoning....do you support a law mandating that all prescription drugs and cleaning products be locked up? On pain of fines and imprisonment?

Everyone should lock up their guns when not in use.
A legal requirement that they do so vilates the constitution.

A argument to the contrary can be made. Just like how we can restrict speech with kids.

More kids die from accidental poisoning....do you support a law mandating that all prescription drugs and cleaning products be locked up? On pain of fines and imprisonment?

Good question. I'm not going to argue against it. But still, you started a rant over someone that argued against making gun laws retroactive. Why?

Forum List

Back