Democracy vs a Republic Perfectly Explained For Dummies

Wrong. It makes me accurate and you an ignorant dilettante. Again, Ben Franklin knew exactly what he was talking about. You simply don’t.
When Benjamin Franklin was asked after a session of the Constitutional Convention, ""What kind of a government have you given us?"" he replied, ""A democracy, if you can keep it."" Our republic is founded on the principle that it will continue only as long as the people keep democracy alive.

apparently he did.

We have a borderline plutocracy. The wealthy get to run for office. They have nothing in common with REAL americans.

When Benjamin Franklin was asked after a session of the Constitutional Convention, ""What kind of a government have you given us?"" he replied, ""A democracy, if you can keep it."" Our republic is founded on the principle that it will continue only as long as the people keep democracy alive.

apparently he did.
On the last day of the Constitutional Convention, Franklin was asked by a woman if we had a republic or a monarchy. He replied, "A republic, if you can keep it."

apparently he did.
Misquote. Or you are just lying. It is a very well known quote. And what he DID say was a “REPUBLIC” if can keep it.

Lying is bad. Stop being a liar.

I’ve been told my whole life that America is a Democracy

The reason for the recent push to claim that it’s not… it’s a Republic is to justify minority rule
it’s been a republic you’re entire life

Guys. This is my field; I'll be happy to clear this up.

The United States is both a democracy and a republic, because a republic is a form of democracy.

A republic is a form of government in which power is split among many representatives of the people, because the government is public—literally, res publica means "public thing." We are a republic because legislative power is split among 535 elected members of Congress, because every branch has checks and balances against each other or even within themselves (such as with the 25th Amendment), and because all of our officials are either elected or appointed by those who were. Other nations, by contrast, may be absolute monarchies, where the government is a private thing held by the monarch, and they have final word over everything.

A democracy is a form of government in which the people (demo-) have the power to make change. We are a democracy because we have elections, which give us the power to put the people we want in office. Other nations, by contrast, may be autocracies, where one person (auto-) has the power to make change, or theocracies where the church (theo-) has the power to make change. Because a republic relies on elected officials, it is by definition a type of democracy.

There is another type of democracy, though, called the "absolute" or "direct" or "Athenian" democracy. In that non-representative system, every citizen votes on every proposal, every time. A lot of people confuse the term "democracy" to mean this subtype, and as you can imagine, it would be entire unfeasible for a massive nation of 330 million people. We are definitely not an absolute democracy, but we still are a democracy nonetheless.

I hope that helps.

The main reason the recent push to call America a "Democracy" is to open the path by progressives to hand over ultimate power to them to decide what rights you have....We are NOT a Democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic.

We are a Constitutional Republic and a democracy. We vote directly for our representatives. Originally state legislatures appointed senators, but the Constitution was amended to allow direct election of senators.

e1VqStNgq-4EM03uG9qKYHsgvhB6vEZme-cqy_UMmK0.jpg
That’s your problem…you listen to idiots.

We are a Constitutional Republic and a democracy. We vote directly for our representatives. Originally state legislatures appointed senators, but the Constitution was amended to allow direct election of senators.
And that was a mistake.

The main reason the recent push to call America a "Democracy" is to open the path by progressives to hand over ultimate power to them to decide what rights you have....We are NOT a Democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic.
When was the last time you heard and politician call America anything but a democracy. Again it's stupid people allowing this abuse. Most of America couldn't tell the difference between the Constitution and the Communist Manifesto. They have no clue who their Representatives or Senators are and don't care to find out. The reason biden is in the White House and he is getting away with treason. A pathetic bunch who deserve what is coming.

You people really are a pack of howling Dummies, all right.

Here's a book you Dummies would be incapable of comprehending.

democracy-in-america-book.jpg

When was the last time you heard and politician call America anything but a democracy. Again it's stupid people allowing this abuse. Most of America couldn't tell the difference between the Constitution and the Communist Manifesto. They have no clue who their Representatives or Senators are and don't care to find out. The reason biden is in the White House and he is getting away with treason. A pathetic bunch who deserve what is coming.
I don't totally disagree, but if we allow the terms in which our Republic is defined, we give up what America was founded as...I'm not willing to do that.

You people really are a pack of howling Dummies, all right.

Here's a book you Dummies would be incapable of comprehending.

democracy-in-america-book.jpg
Oh, and since we are "howling dummies" in your words I suppose we should differ to you to tell us what to think right? Um........no.

Republicans like the the notion of republic from the beginning. It was old school way of thinking that the people do not need a royal family. Also it is part of the name that they go by. Live off the land and be free. The original hippies. They wanted to limited greed and corruption. Trump seems to have killed that dream. Also all that talk of personal freedom was all talk when most people had slaves. Yet they did free the slaves.

Democrats like the new notion of democracy which guarantees people rights and freedom but with a strong government and national bank. Also its in their name that they call themselves. They were once one party but have split. The issues of economics. The divide grows deeper and along comes Trumps who was a democrat (original DINO) and pushes the button causing a nuclear blast to widen that divide. Still the democrats made the slaves citizens with rights.

Forum List

Back