Delaney Brown died on Christmas

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
The eight year-old girl who wanted to hear carolers.

Sick girl, who heard Christmas carols as her last wish, dies - latimes.com

I know there was a thread, but couldn't turn it up no matter how I searched or where I looked.

An 8-year-old Pennsylvania girl, whose battle against a rare form of leukemia became a social media sensation that inspired thousands of people to gather and sing her Christmas carols, has succumbed to her disease, her family announced on Wednesday.

Delaney Brown of West Reading “passed away quietly with her loving family by her side,” family spokesman Christopher Winters said in a statement posted Wednesday on Facebook.

Known by her nickname, Laney, the child was a second-grader at Wyomissing Hills Elementary School. She was diagnosed in May with a rare form of leukemia and received five rounds of radiation therapy, then a stem cell transplant in September.
Her condition took a turn for the worse last week, and doctors told her parents, Jennifer and Jeremiah Brown, that the girl had just days or weeks to live.

Laney’s plight went viral, mainly because of a Facebook page known as Team Laney, which has drawn more than 120,000 likes.

On Saturday night, as many as 10,000 people gathered outside her home in eastern Pennsylvania to fulfill her wish for a huge holiday singalong. The crowd sang such favorites as “Frosty the Snowman,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Jingle Bells,” ending with a chorus of "Happy Birthday" to the girl, who had turned 8 the day before, according to the Reading Eagle.

My heart goes out to her loved ones.

God bless the people that took part in the caroling. In a time so often filled with hate, it is uplifting to see a loving response from so many people.

• Banned
I just found her picture - she looks much like my daughter at that age.

Attachments

• $delaneybrown.jpg
    $delaneybrown.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 55

I know there was a thread, but couldn't turn it up no matter how I searched or where I looked.

An 8-year-old Pennsylvania girl, whose battle against a rare form of leukemia became a social media sensation that inspired thousands of people to gather and sing her Christmas carols, has succumbed to her disease, her family announced on Wednesday.

Delaney Brown of West Reading “passed away quietly with her loving family by her side,” family spokesman Christopher Winters said in a statement posted Wednesday on Facebook.

Known by her nickname, Laney, the child was a second-grader at Wyomissing Hills Elementary School. She was diagnosed in May with a rare form of leukemia and received five rounds of radiation therapy, then a stem cell transplant in September.
Her condition took a turn for the worse last week, and doctors told her parents, Jennifer and Jeremiah Brown, that the girl had just days or weeks to live.

Laney’s plight went viral, mainly because of a Facebook page known as Team Laney, which has drawn more than 120,000 likes.

On Saturday night, as many as 10,000 people gathered outside her home in eastern Pennsylvania to fulfill her wish for a huge holiday singalong. The crowd sang such favorites as “Frosty the Snowman,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Jingle Bells,” ending with a chorus of "Happy Birthday" to the girl, who had turned 8 the day before, according to the Reading Eagle.

The choir was waiting. Don't you worry. Angels en masse. Not a worry. I'm so glad people did this for her, but when she kicked open that gate, well hells bells heaven was rocking for her.

Last edited:
She will sing carols with the angels choir from now on.

Being close to Vanderbilt at one time of my life I knew so many babies with leukimia. They were so good and happy and chubby and then they'd get more pale. And more thin.

I've asked a million times why? Just why?

I think the 'sad' part is, as always, for her loved ones who just had their hearts shattered.

I live steel magnolias because I really do believe we should die first. I guess that's sort of perverse. But I think its wrong that our babies die before us. I just don't get it. I'm still on this planet.

I think the 'sad' part is, as always, for her loved ones who just had their hearts shattered.

I live steel magnolias because I really do believe we should die first. I guess that's sort of perverse. But I think its wrong that our babies die before us. I just don't get it. I'm still on this planet.

Did you ever see the 300? A man sees his son slain in battle before his eyes, and promptly comes completely unhinged. I cried So Hard - and that was just a movie.

One of the better remarks on the unfortunate loss of a child's life I've read:

""How do we know, Master," Tanis asked hesitantly, "whether the life of any creature has fulfilled its destiny? I have known the very old to die in bitterness and despair. I have seen young children die before their time but leave behind such a legacy of love and joy that grief for their passing was tempered by the knowledge that their brief lives had given much to others."

"You have answered your own question, Tanis Half-Elven, far better than I could," the Forestmaster said gravely. "Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving.""

- "Dragonlance: Dragons of Autuum Twilight" by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

In her short time with us, this child gave so much enabling those who would answer her wish for carollers that those who may live much longer may not give even a fraction of what she did.

Forum List

Back