defrosting meat.

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Anybody have any hints on how to quickly defrost hamburger, or steaks? Most of the time, I decide what I want to eat right when I start cooking, so I don't have time to wait for the stuff to defrost (OK, I'm too impatient to wait). Anyone know any quick ways to defrost?

Only quickest way is to use your microwave, do you have one and does it have a defrost option on it??? If not, run under cold water, it losens them up - for burgers, just enough to seperate them and cook, I cook burgers frozen anyway!

Originally posted by Dan
Anybody have any hints on how to quickly defrost hamburger, or steaks? Most of the time, I decide what I want to eat right when I start cooking, so I don't have time to wait for the stuff to defrost (OK, I'm too impatient to wait). Anyone know any quick ways to defrost?

I don't have an answer to you query. I just thought of you as a person who would use McDonalds / Wendys or someplace like that.

Originally posted by Dan
Agree w/Janeen. If you are using chopped meat in a recipe where you don't care if it breaks up, say, for tacos or sloppy joes, just cook it frozen (add a little water if it gets to stuck). Just keep scraping the cooked off the frozen block with a spatula.

Hambergers- don't defrost...cook frozen.

Everything else, try microwaving. However, I will warn you that I've never succeeded in using one for that successfully.

May I suggest, and not sarcastically, that you cook a few items and then refreeze them for nights when you need quick meals? Pasta sauce w/meatballs defrosts almost instantly in the pot, mac&cheese freezes well (cook in throw away foil pans unless you want to microwave, then use glass/plastic), meatloaf made in muffin pans freezes as individual servings, etc.

You can also try running hot water over it. Thats works pretty well if you move the meat around.

Forum List

Back