Defrauding Medicare through Clueless Seniors

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The last couple days I have gotten several phone calls from men with strong Indian accents, trying to sell me on a FREE medical test that can predict whether I am likely to have a heart attack of stroke within the near future.

I'm told that I will soon be receiving a new Medicare card (?), and I will get a call from the representative of a reputable local health organization (true, based on caller ID), arranging to send me a test kit. But they won't send it out, they say, without the explicit approval of my "doctor," whose name they got from me. The test kit will include a swab to take a sample of my saliva, then send it back. They will do the test and send me the results within 24 hours.

They had most of my personal information, and were able to instantly look up the contact information of my doctor(s). I am currently being treated by two cardiologists, who have given me just about every test available.

Coincidentally, I got my monthly AARP magazine today, and it describes Medicare scams that defraud MEDICARE, billing them for worthless tests that are represented to diagnose all sorts of illnesses, including heart disease. So it doesn't cost me anything, but I am the device they use to defraud Medicare. Whether I would actually get one of these test kits I can't say. I may get a call from my cardiologist if they actually contacted him.

I was about to go along with this, since it all seemed harmless to me and potentially beneficial. But after reading the AARP article I shut it down.

This is unbelievable.

The last couple days I have gotten several phone calls from men with strong Indian accents, trying to sell me on a FREE medical test that can predict whether I am likely to have a heart attack of stroke within the near future.

I'm told that I will soon be receiving a new Medicare card (?), and I will get a call from the representative of a reputable local health organization (true, based on caller ID), arranging to send me a test kit. But they won't send it out, they say, without the explicit approval of my "doctor," whose name they got from me. The test kit will include a swab to take a sample of my saliva, then send it back. They will do the test and send me the results within 24 hours.

They had most of my personal information, and were able to instantly look up the contact information of my doctor(s). I am currently being treated by two cardiologists, who have given me just about every test available.

Coincidentally, I got my monthly AARP magazine today, and it describes Medicare scams that defraud MEDICARE, billing them for worthless tests that are represented to diagnose all sorts of illnesses, including heart disease. So it doesn't cost me anything, but I am the device they use to defraud Medicare. Whether I would actually get one of these test kits I can't say. I may get a call from my cardiologist if they actually contacted him.

I was about to go along with this, since it all seemed harmless to me and potentially beneficial. But after reading the AARP article I shut it down.

This is unbelievable.
Thievery that takes from seniors should be a capital crime.

Speaking of overseas call centers.....A pizza chain takes orders like that.....I called in a order the other day and I kept hearing this rooster crowing in the background.

Come to find out my local order was taken by a guy in the Philippines.....The guy was well spoken, my order was OK, and I did enjoy the rooster crowing, so it was all good. ;)

Want to know WHY you get these calls?

The last 15 or so years, I've worked in corporate level billing offices for healthcare companies.
Our private medical and personal information is NOT private!! It is sent over to India. And those people SELL our information to scammers over there and in other countries.

A lot of these scammers have moles working in the billing centers over there in India, so they get their information hot off the company's computer files!! They have access to EVERYTHING!! This is how they pull you into to their lies. Whatever you've told your doctor, whatever procedure you've had, whatever you've put on your paperwork.......THEY HAVE IT!!

Don't worry......it gets worse!!! More and more and more healthcare companies and insurance companies are sending their billing work over to India every year.

Healthcare and healthcare insurance companies will LIE directly to your face and tell you EVERYTHING they do is "in house". Which is what they say to make you believe your information is SAFE INSIDE THE USA boundaries!!! IT IS NOT!

ALL of our private and personal information is sent over to India from ALL healthcare and healthcare insurance companies in the USA now. In fact, that is why there are less administrative office jobs in the US for healthcare and healthcare insurance........because this work is being sent over to India!!!

HELPFUL HINTS:

1. Look up their phone number on your computer if you are going to answer it. If you can't find any information on it, hang up. BLOCK THAT NUMBER!

2. If there is no company name in the caller ID, hang up. BLOCK THE NUMBER!

3. If they are NOT speaking with any American dialect, hang up. BLOCK THE NUMBER!

4. If you DO answer, you need to get verifiable answers from these questions you ask them:
a. What is your name? (ask them to spell it if you have to)
b. What is the name, phone number, and address of the company?
c. Who gave you my information/Where did you get my information?
More often than not, they will change the subject or get angry and start yelling at you.
HANG UP AND BLOCK THAT NUMBER!!
If for some reason they DO give you all that information, tell them you have somebody at the door and will call the number they gave you later. Research that phone number. Call your Dr to see if they ever heard of such a company. Or if they are telling you that they ARE calling from your healthcare company or health insurance company, CALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE number on the back of your insurance card or health card. Ask them if they have the person you talked to as an employee, with the location that person gave you.
If they don't, then tell them you were being scammed, and give them all the information. The healthcare company or insurance company will see it gets to the right legal entities.

If you want free tests regarding certain medical procedures or for your own personal inquiries........ASK YOUR DOCTOR. Or you can call your medical insurance provider and ask them. You can also contact the AARP if you are registered with them, or even you local city offices.

Most Unemployment offices have listings for free services you can get free access to.

I guess the big question is why did you stay on the call long enough for all of this to take place?

I don't answer their calls...

Yep. If there isn't a company ID on the caller ID, or I don't recognize the phone number, I don't answer.

My phone is kinda neat though.......it will tell me "phone number possible scam" if it's unrecognizable by the phone system.

99% of the time, I just don't answer. If it's important, they can leave a message and I will call them back. And 99% of these calls never leave a message.

But note that they were not scamming ME, they were intending to use me to scam MEDICARE.

But note that they were not scamming ME, they were intending to use me to scam MEDICARE.
Had you gone along, perhaps you'd be in jail and they'd still be in Africa. Now tell me again how they weren't scamming you. I'm glad you didn't fall for it but very many do.

Forum List

Back