Deer Container

Terry

Shut the $%$ Up!
Jan 15, 2009
My neighbor is building a large walk in cooler to store his deer that he kills. I personally don't like to eat Deer Meat but it seems my neighbor is doing some serious planning for food storage. He told me next he is building a large green house for veggies. Man I love my neighbor!

Can someone explain how the process of storing this deer? When I asked, all he said is, I kill the deer, hang it up. My mind only saw blood and I said, those wild dogs next door are going to be all over that building. He laughed and told me it will be fully refrigerated so they won't smell it. Where does all the blood go? I don't get it.

the deer is dressed out already...most likely he is not hanging the deer in cold storage but simply storing meat he has packed ...from his deer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RK5Kp-Q2NA&feature=related]YouTube - How to Hunt Deer : How to Field Dress a Deer: Part 1[/ame]

OH I see, I don't want to watch any field dressing of any kind. I have mental hangups as it is about food. I was just wondering if he hangs the deer, where does the blood go, and wouldn't it be nasty inside. But if it is just a refrigerator to store the meat, shouldn't it be a freezer and not a refrigerator?

OH I see, I don't want to watch any field dressing of any kind. I have mental hangups as it is about food. I was just wondering if he hangs the deer, where does the blood go, and wouldn't it be nasty inside. But if it is just a refrigerator to store the meat, shouldn't it be a freezer and not a refrigerator?

How Your Walk In Cooler Works

To me 40 degree's isn't cold enough to store food for long periods of time. Oh well.

What do you think of those MSNBot Spider picking up your post?

he is probally hanging his deer to tenderise the meat then after a few days he will process the meat then freeze it for long time storage. once a deer is feild dressed there is not to much blood. you hang deer to help get the meat to cool down as quickly as possible. if done properly you will end up with some of the tastiest venison. alot depends on where the deer live and the food it eats this gives the meat a good flavor, if the deer eats the right things. I hunt in wisconsin and the deer graze on farmers crops and apples and such. these deer don't have to go far for the good stuff to eat, they are fat and healthy and very tasty not gamey flavored at all..Been hitting my freezer pretty good this winter and looking foward to next deer season. got to get up a nice stand and put in my food plot for the does to graze on when rasing their babies. Feed them good then you get a good healthy herd, nothing worse than seeing starving animals during our rough winters. Didn't have much global warming this year lots of snow which meant very hard for the herd to find food! You should ask your neighbor for some venison, try it you might like it. much better than store bought meat. no chemicals or steroids ect....VERY LEAN

he is probally hanging his deer to tenderise the meat then after a few days he will process the meat then freeze it for long time storage. once a deer is feild dressed there is not to much blood. you hang deer to help get the meat to cool down as quickly as possible. if done properly you will end up with some of the tastiest venison. alot depends on where the deer live and the food it eats this gives the meat a good flavor, if the deer eats the right things. I hunt in wisconsin and the deer graze on farmers crops and apples and such. these deer don't have to go far for the good stuff to eat, they are fat and healthy and very tasty not gamey flavored at all..Been hitting my freezer pretty good this winter and looking foward to next deer season. got to get up a nice stand and put in my food plot for the does to graze on when rasing their babies. Feed them good then you get a good healthy herd, nothing worse than seeing starving animals during our rough winters. Didn't have much global warming this year lots of snow which meant very hard for the herd to find food! You should ask your neighbor for some venison, try it you might like it. much better than store bought meat. no chemicals or steroids ect....VERY LEAN
Oh I see, thanks for that information. He is almost done building it, and I haven't gone to look. Deer are all over the place where we live. We actually live in a hunting area during season I've been known to hit the floor thinking the buckshot's are too close for comfort. Coming home late in the mornings I have seen some pretty big deer right in my yard. I cannot eat it unless i'm starving. I've tried jerky before and it was good but I couldn't get past the mental aspect of eating Bambi.

Oh I see, thanks for that information. He is almost done building it, and I haven't gone to look. Deer are all over the place where we live. We actually live in a hunting area during season I've been known to hit the floor thinking the buckshot's are too close for comfort. Coming home late in the mornings I have seen some pretty big deer right in my yard. I cannot eat it unless i'm starving. I've tried jerky before and it was good but I couldn't get past the mental aspect of eating Bambi.

Ummm ... eating Bambi is good ....:eusa_whistle:

What the differance than eat poor Ellsee the cow or Arnold the pig? Try some grilled deer loins with some morels cooked with a little onions and garlic. Pure heaven!!!! Makes you want to get back into the wood in the spring and fall to get these wonders!!!!

If you do a heart shot with a high powered rifle, the deer is pretty well bled out. If you do a head shot, you need to cut the throat.

I have hunted deer in Eastern Oregon and Western Washington. Mule deer in Oregon and blacktail in Washington. Unless it is a swell necked buck, the primary factor controling the flavor, and how gamey it is, is how it is prepared, starting when dressing it in the field.

I had never eaten gamey venison until I ate at a friend's house. My father and mother were very good at preparing venison, and I ate more venison than beef until I was fourteen years old. I prefer good venison to any other meat that I have eaten.

My neighbor is building a large walk in cooler to store his deer that he kills. I personally don't like to eat Deer Meat but it seems my neighbor is doing some serious planning for food storage. He told me next he is building a large green house for veggies. Man I love my neighbor!

Can someone explain how the process of storing this deer? When I asked, all he said is, I kill the deer, hang it up. My mind only saw blood and I said, those wild dogs next door are going to be all over that building. He laughed and told me it will be fully refrigerated so they won't smell it. Where does all the blood go? I don't get it.

that will be some expensive deer meat.
Many hinters crack me up on how much they will save on meat.
You get maybe a couple hundred pounds of meat and after considering all the expenses it must cost $25/lb or more.

And like you I do not care much for it.
Elk now is pretty good.
But hard to beat a good dead cow or pig.

if its not a kill shot and you have to run the deer the meat seems to stay 'gamey'

my dog steals work gloves...i always have few odd gloves laying about in the yard....my neighbor and i have a delicate relationship...he doesnt say mal about the glove stealing ..but come deer season he makes sure to give my dog the skins.....have you ever smelled a skin ..have you ever smelled a dog who has rolled in a skin and dragged it around for days...by the time i can get it and burn it....i have a rather smelly dog...

and he is short...so when he strings a deer its not that high off the ground....so far...i have been lucky....i keep a deer in the freezer....just in case...

You get maybe a couple hundred pounds of meat and after considering all the expenses it must cost $25/lb or more.

Elk now is pretty good.

that is so true...da man's boss is a big hunter...but cant eat all the meat he gets...i always joke i always have vension from one hunter or another...i am always amused when they bring me a cooler of wrapped vension....i know how much the trips cost..and the crossbows etc...then the slaughter house here...charges 65 bucks to cut and wrap the deer.

i would love to learn to clean and perserve a deer skin..i understand it is a lot of work

That all depends on who is with you on the bear-skin rug.

Last edited:
Ok, Terry, here's how you handle deer...

The deer is field dressed, or gutted and decapitated (and sometimes quartered) where it's shot or somewhere very close. Generally this is when the majority of blood drains.

When it gets to camp (or home) it is hung up and skinned.

Then it is aged in a cool place, doesn't have to be freezing or even too close to it, for as long as possible. A deer bag is put over it, if necessary (lots of people do this in their garages, their backyards, or at camp) to keep flies off it.

If you don't do this, and cut it up too soon, you run the risk of having sour meat.

We liked to hang our deer about 3 days at least, unless it was just too warm.

There isn't a lot of blood...the blood generally exits the body when the deer is gutted. You'll have a little under the hanging deer, but not much.

Beef and other meat is handled in much the same manner, by the way.

Why don't you like venison? Is it just a psychological thing about it being an animal and not wanting to eat it? Or did you get some bad venison and just not like the taste of it?

Elk now is pretty good.

that is so true...da man's boss is a big hunter...but cant eat all the meat he gets...i always joke i always have vension from one hunter or another...i am always amused when they bring me a cooler of wrapped vension....i know how much the trips cost..and the crossbows etc...then the slaughter house here...charges 65 bucks to cut and wrap the deer.

i would love to learn to clean and perserve a deer skin..i understand it is a lot of work

The last time I hunted deer was nearly 40 years ago. I, and most in my family, hunted as a way of getting inexpensive and high quality meat. So when I move into the city, hunting no longer made economic sense.

The last time I hunted, from the time I left the house, until I was putting the deer into the back of the pickup, was about 30 minutes. I rented on a cousin's ranch, and had been watching the deer all summer. Just went up, got one out of bed, and murdered it.

When I retire, I will be hunting again. Both deer and elk, turkey, too.

Yes, preparing your own meat is a lot of work, and well worth it.

My cows are much less work to harvest and to me taste better than deer. And a neighbor raises hogs so we swap meat.

I just wish hunters would do a better job though, too many here do not get any deer and they are thick as heck. and need thinning out. I have to put a 6 ft high predator grade fence atround my veggie garden.
Yeah I know they can jump it but so far none have. Only problem was a skunk got in it last year and I had to abandon the garden for a week.

Forum List

Back