Deep Purple gets snubbed by Rock And Roll Hall of Fame, despite more fan votes

its getting to be politics now with who gets in......the big mistake they made was having a fan poll and then ignoring those same people who are the paying customers to the dam place.....Deep Purple and Yes got way more votes than Stevens who came in last in the voting.....the place is a joke....

the R 'n R Hall of Fame has shown its head-up-the-ass irrelevance over and over again over the years...

two of the most egregious exclusions that immediately come to mind:

Lowell George & Little Feat:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FekVR_SC5M]Little Feat Dixie Chicken - YouTube[/ame]

and an even more outrageous exclusion... Stevie Ray Vaughn:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWaZVchd6k]STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - Look At Little Sister 1989 (a string breaks) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Yes the Rock and Roll Hall a Fame is a sham. In their minds Disco and Rap are considered Rock, just shows how out of touch they are.
In a related note, Zappa has been around for a long time
Frank Zappa on The Steve Allen Show March 4, 1963.mp4 - YouTube

ummm... Zappa is in... got inducted nearly 20 years ago...

but the R 'n R Hall of Fame can still go fuck themselves...

not to mention, Frank woulda prolly thought the whole idea of a R 'n R Hall of Fame is complete and absolute bullshit... :)

I agree with what everyone here has stated - Deep Purple, Yes, and in my opinion, the Moody Blues, all should be in there. Several bands who Purple influenced are already in, which just defies any logic at all.

I like rock, the harder the better generally. But over time, my view towards the Hall of Shame has lessened just 1/10 of an ounce. Why? Because "Rock and Roll" has been around longer than I have been alive (I am 48). Rock and Roll itself has evolved through many decades, and spawned so many offshoots of Rock and Roll, it is almost crazy to keep track of them all. So to truly be the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they should span many genres of Rock and Roll other than what is popular to anyone today. To take Purple into account - who were their influences? Purple influenced countless bands, those who made it and those who did not, and those who played "pure hard rock" and those who did not. So to say Purple deserve it on any basis of influence, you'd have to give a nod to those who influenced them too. And yeah, some of those bands are already in the Hall of Shame, thankfully.

Hey, if it was up to me, Rap and Disco would not be in the Hall of Shame. It would only be "true rock and roll". I think the reasoning behind why bands are allowed to be in the Hall is sound, but the approach for qualifications "they" use reminds me of what Jesus in the Bible stated - "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".

Jethro Tull, George Thorogood

Yes the Rock and Roll Hall a Fame is a sham. In their minds Disco and Rap are considered Rock, just shows how out of touch they are.

not to mention, Frank woulda prolly thought the whole idea of a R 'n R Hall of Fame is complete and absolute bullshit... :)

can you blame him when you look at who has been getting in over the last 15 or so years?.....he would be in agreement with millions of others....

can you blame him when you look at who has been getting in over the last 15 or so years?.....he would be in agreement with millions of others....

we could always reply on Frank to call out and name cultural bullshit when he saw it...

usually not in interviews... most times in the tunes he put out...

eta:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7FZ6E8HOo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7FZ6E8HOo[/ame]

Last edited:
Rap and Disco shouldn't be in a "Rock and Roll" HOF. Entirely different genres. Deep Purple are more deserving to be there than any of the other nominees listed. Cat Stevens over Deep Purple? Come on man!

i agree.....after Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat.....i cant really see what Cat did.....i was there.....i dont remember hearing much from him after that...and i bought those twp LP's.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8YU-FcmGA0]Deep Purple- Burn-1974 - YouTube[/ame]

This year's inductees are Kiss, Nirvana, Hall and Oates, Gabriel, Linda Rondstadt, and Cat Stevens.

Deep Purple got more fan votes than all of these acts aside from Kiss and Nirvana. They got more than double the votes of Cat Stevens.

Unfortunately, of the 700 votes made by members of the Hall of Fame, fan votes only equal 1 vote.

That's right. Hundreds of thousands of Fan votes equal just 1 vote.

Deep Purple should have been one of the founding acts in the Hall of Fame. I can't believe they aren't in it already.

When will Judas Priest even be nominated?
Which version of Deep Purple would you put in?

1. The Rod Evans "Hush" version?
  2. The Ian Gillan "Smoke on the Water" version?
  3. The David Coverdale "Burn" version?

This year's inductees are Kiss, Nirvana, Hall and Oates, Gabriel, Linda Rondstadt, and Cat Stevens.

Deep Purple got more fan votes than all of these acts aside from Kiss and Nirvana. They got more than double the votes of Cat Stevens.

Unfortunately, of the 700 votes made by members of the Hall of Fame, fan votes only equal 1 vote.

That's right. Hundreds of thousands of Fan votes equal just 1 vote.

Deep Purple should have been one of the founding acts in the Hall of Fame. I can't believe they aren't in it already.

When will Judas Priest even be nominated?
Which version of Deep Purple would you put in?

1. The Rod Evans "Hush" version?
  2. The Ian Gillan "Smoke on the Water" version?
  3. The David Coverdale "Burn" version?

it would probably be no 2....Evans is a non-person to the rest of the band and Coverdale only had the one good LP....

I'm very happy for KISS, long overdue.

And it's a crime that Deep Purple isn't in yet either. Last year a long overdue Rush, this year a long overdue KISS, next year it has got to be Deep Purples turn.

I am actually amazed Deep Purple did not get in this year. With the passing of Jon Lord, I figured that is what it would have taken - someones death. How wrong I was.

Forum List

Back