Deep fired turkey

Redhots

Apr 9, 2006
I had this for the first time the other day.

IMO it borders on amazing. So much flavor! I will never have "regular" turkey again during the holidays. :D

I had this for the first time the other day.

IMO it borders on amazing. So much flavor! I will never have "regular" turkey again during the holidays. :D

Deep fired turkey? Given your avatar, I'm not sure many of us could get our turkeys as deep into the FIRE as you did! :D

But, my husband went through a turkey-frying phase, and they ARE delicious!

I tried deep-fried turkey once. Not bad, but my dad wins at smoking and my mom wins at everything else, so I'll take the old-fashioned roasted or the hickory smoked variety any day.

Deep fired turkey? Given your avatar, I'm not sure many of us could get our turkeys as deep into the FIRE as you did! :D

But, my husband went through a turkey-frying phase, and they ARE delicious!

:p:

Deep fried is great, so is a smoked turkey..

Not meaning to hijack your thread, redhot....

Butt...
Anybody here, ever had beer butt chicken??
You shove a can of beer up it's butt and cook it standing up in the oven or on a grill.....

Really good and moist, and easy...:thup:

Deep fried is great, so is a smoked turkey..

Not meaning to hijack your thread, redhot....

Butt...
Anybody here, ever had beer butt chicken??
You shove a can of beer up it's butt and cook it standing up in the oven or on a grill.....

Really good and moist, and easy...:thup:

My friend does that on the bbq. Sadly, I don't recall ever trying it.

My father made it last Thanksgiving, it was the first deep-fried turkey I've had.

Deep-Fried Turkey Brined in Cayenne and Brown Sugar

ACTIVE TIME: 1 HR
TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus 36 hr brining

Deep-frying a turkey isn't as hard as it sounds (though it does require caution). And there's a great payoff: an exquisitely moist, crispy bird. You can use different kinds of equipment: a stockpot, an electric fryer, a pot-and-propane setup (you can buy these at hardware stores or online at sites like cajun-outdoor-cooking.com). The best deep fryers come with a thermostat and a metal basket for lowering the turkey into the hot oil and removing it once it's done. Whatever equipment you use, the procedure is the same: Heat the oil—it can take up to an hour— then slowly lower the turkey into it. A 12-pound turkey cooks in just 36 minutes following the pitch-perfect timing of 3 minutes per pound.

ingredients:

* 3 cups packed light brown sugar (about 1 1/4 pounds)
* 1 1/2 cups Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons salt
* 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
* 2 gallons cold water
* 1 bunch of thyme
* 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and crushed
* One 12-pound turkey
* 2 1/2 gallons vegetable oil

directions

1. In a large stockpot, whisk the brown sugar with the mustard, salt and cayenne. Gradually whisk in the water, then add the thyme and garlic. Add the turkey, cover and brine in the refrigerator for 35 hours.
2. In a turkey fryer or an 18-quart or larger stockpot, bring the oil to 400°; this can take up to an hour. Remove the turkey from the brine and pat it dry inside and out with paper towels. Transfer the turkey to a frying basket, breast side up.
3. Lower the turkey into the hot oil and fry for 3 minutes per pound, 36 minutes. Lift the basket out of the fryer and drain the turkey on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet for 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

This is an "old" thread - but it is getting close to time to start thinkin bout it again. :)

Anyone had it? Like it?

IMO is is yucky and a disgrace to our "almost" National Bird! :eusa_eh:

Ben Franklin, the Eagle and "The Bird"
Ben Franklin Compares the Turkey and Eagle as American Symbols

No! I did not cook this one. :eusa_eh: :lol:

TurkeyCutting.jpg

But it almost tasted like this one looks! :eusa_shifty:

deep frying turkey can be very dangerous...see alton browns show for the correct and safe way to do it...it will totally make you realize that to do it safely is a major hassele and why go out and buy a turkey fryer? why mess with tradition....hell i am southern and deep frying turkey is off my radar

Anyone here ever eat wild turkey?

They're overrunning my neighbood and looking mighty tasty, too.

In the off chance one accidently falls into my oven, I'd appreciate any recipes ya'll might have.

Anyone here ever eat wild turkey?

They're overrunning my neighbood and looking mighty tasty, too.

In the off chance one accidently falls into my oven, I'd appreciate any recipes ya'll might have.

hmmmn ... Wild Turkey, huh? I remember in my younger days ... Wild Turkey. A lil shot'll do ya! :lol:

wild-turkey-distiller.jpg

Good luck with those Wild Turkey's you got, editec :D

well i finally had fried turkey...it was dry...still seems like a lot of trouble..when roast turkey is killer...juicey..and all...the fried was dry. it is always a fine line between the oil temps that will sear in the juice or suck the juice out.

If you've had fried turkey that was done correctly, there is nothing like it. But it's very time consuming, and detail oriented, right from the amount of time it takes to soak it in brine, to the amount of time to fry, and the temperature of the oil...

Oh, and you use peanut oil; not vegetable oil.

I've had deep fried turkey twice. The first time, it was done right, and it was FRIGGIN' INCREDIBLE! The 2nd time, my father-in-law overcooked it and it was dry and icky.

I brine my Thanksgiving turkeys and they turn out moist and delicious every time.

I tried deep-fried turkey once. Not bad, but my dad wins at smoking and my mom wins at everything else, so I'll take the old-fashioned roasted or the hickory smoked variety any day.

I'll take any type of turkey. Yummm. Especially if I don't have to cook it.

I'll take any type of turkey. Yummm. Especially if I don't have to cook it.

Eh, that's one of the few foods that pretty much cooks itself, so long as you treat it right beforehand.

But I'll take ham over turkey any day of the week.

Triptowhateverthefuckisinthere and I don't get along well...

LOL...I think my family might actually kill me if I gave them tofurkey for Thanksgiving.

LOL...I think my family might actually kill me if I gave them tofurkey for Thanksgiving.

LOL

My brother and his wife have about 40 people every year to their house for Thanksgiving. He deep fries a turkey, bakes 2 more, then cooks a ham and a roast...plus everyone brings a few side dishes.

People always say to me,,"What do you eat at Thanksgiving?"

There is always TOO MUCH food that doesn't have meat in it, my daughter and I are always stuffed! (she's a vegetarian too by choice) And I LOVE Pumpkin Pie!

(and I've never tried tofu turkey, I think I'm scared to try it lol)

Forum List

Back