Decommissioning the Enterprise

Sad that they have to scrap it. The Enterprise is an historic ship. But they have no choice

There are a million technical reasons for taking an obsolete Aircraft Carrier out of commission. Funny how people become sentimental about a hunk of steel they never even saw.

I'd be more sentimental about the WW II ship. That one took a licking and kept on ticking. This ones main claim to fame is that it was the first nuclear carrier.

she did a tour in Nam when I was over there

091914825.jpg

14 January 1969, in Hawaiian waters a massive fire started when a Zuni rocket accidentally exploded under the wing of an F-4. Some of the subsequent 18 explosions were 500-lb. bombs cooking of in multiples, leaving 20-foot holes in the armored flight deck. Losses totalled 28 dead, 343 wounded, and 15 aircraft destroyed. the zuni rocket is also what blew up the Forrestal

026510.jpg

026510n.jpg

she deserves better than the scrap heap

I hope the new one has this
-Rail guns
-Lasers
-Can be ran by half the crew the last one did
-Better defensive anti-air missiles, guns, etc.
-Capable of carrying bomber drones like the x-53, x-47 and better
-Maybe slightly bigger as this is the enterprise!

Soon.

Last edited:
-Rail guns
-Lasers

Soon.

Don't forget Warp Drive....and doors that go "shoosh........shoosh".

-Rail guns
-Lasers

Soon.

And a holodeck!

-Rail guns
-Lasers

Soon.

And a holodeck!

F**k yeah, I want one of those!

I spent about 30 days aboard the USS Boxer which was commissioned late in WW2 and was LPH-4 at the time in the early 60's and it was a hunk of junk back then.

The Big "E" came thru Hawaii in 1976 when I was stationed there. Back then the superstructure was like a big thimble. Later they changed it to the more traditional boxy shape you see today.

It was a big ship. Bigger than anything else on the water. Its small compared to the newer Aircraft Carriers, but back then it was an imposing vessel.

Have no fear there WILL be another ENTERPRIZE in the fleet sooner or later.

United States Navy

Six ships of the United States Navy have been named Enterprise:
  • USS Enterprise (1799) 12-gun schooner / 14-gun brig (17 December 1799 – 9 July 1823), the third ship to bear this name, was built as schooner, and later rerigged as a brig. She fired the first shots in the First Barbary War against the Tripolitanian ship Tripoli
  • USS Enterprise (1831) 10-gun schooner (15 December 1831 – 24 June 1844), the fourth ship to bear this name
  • USS Enterprise (1874) barque-rigged screw sloop (16 March 1877 – 1 October 1909), the fifth ship to bear this name
  • USS Enterprise (SP-790) motor yacht (1917–1919), the sixth ship to bear this name, was non-commissioned, serving in the Second Naval District during World War I
  • USS Enterprise (CV-6) Yorktown-class aircraft carrier (12 May 1938 – 17 February 1947), the seventh ship to bear this name, served with unparalleled distinction in World War II, becoming the most-decorated vessel in the history of the U.S. Navy.
  • USS Enterprise (CVN-65) Enterprise-class aircraft carrier (25 November 1961 – Present), the eighth ship to bear this name, is a unique design, and the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier. It is scheduled to be decommissioned in 2013.
  • As of June 6, 2011, there was a petition circulating online to eventually name CVN-80 as "USS Enterprise".[1]
U.S. Navy building
  • USS Enterprise (BLDG 7115), commissioned building (27 May 2005 – June 2011), this building was the orientation "ship" for students in Great Lakes but is currently scheduled for demolition.

source

Have no fear there WILL be another ENTERPRIZE in the fleet sooner or later.

United States Navy

Six ships of the United States Navy have been named Enterprise:
  • USS Enterprise (1799) 12-gun schooner / 14-gun brig (17 December 1799 – 9 July 1823), the third ship to bear this name, was built as schooner, and later rerigged as a brig. She fired the first shots in the First Barbary War against the Tripolitanian ship Tripoli
  • USS Enterprise (1831) 10-gun schooner (15 December 1831 – 24 June 1844), the fourth ship to bear this name
  • USS Enterprise (1874) barque-rigged screw sloop (16 March 1877 – 1 October 1909), the fifth ship to bear this name
  • USS Enterprise (SP-790) motor yacht (1917–1919), the sixth ship to bear this name, was non-commissioned, serving in the Second Naval District during World War I
  • USS Enterprise (CV-6) Yorktown-class aircraft carrier (12 May 1938 – 17 February 1947), the seventh ship to bear this name, served with unparalleled distinction in World War II, becoming the most-decorated vessel in the history of the U.S. Navy.
  • USS Enterprise (CVN-65) Enterprise-class aircraft carrier (25 November 1961 – Present), the eighth ship to bear this name, is a unique design, and the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier. It is scheduled to be decommissioned in 2013.
  • As of June 6, 2011, there was a petition circulating online to eventually name CVN-80 as "USS Enterprise".[1]
U.S. Navy building
  • USS Enterprise (BLDG 7115), commissioned building (27 May 2005 – June 2011), this building was the orientation "ship" for students in Great Lakes but is currently scheduled for demolition.

source
I'm guessing the name "Enterprise" will be denied despite its proud legacy. Get ready for the USS Redistribution!

ban_enterpriseLogo.jpg

enterprise car leasing was started in 1957 by Jack Crawford Taylor. Taylor named the business after USS Enterprise (CV6) he served on in WW2. I heard he was a fighter pilot

Last edited:

Forum List

Back