DECLASSIFIED PHOTOS - B-29, the "Enola Gay"

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge

Forest Arden was the chief flight mechanic of a B-29 stationed at Tinian Island. His aircraft was parked nearby the Enola Gay, and he watched the loading procedure of the first atomic bomb
He said that security was strictly enforced, and no one was allowed to approach to within 100 yards!

Few had any inkling of what was about to occur. Everyone was astounded at the sudden end of World War II.

This is an unbelievable set of photos - the REAL thing - pix from Tinian Island as the B-29 "Enola Gay" was being loaded. Notice the "Top Secret" stamp on some of the photos. In the last few pix, notice the CRUDE sheet metal work on the casing and fins of "Little Boy" - the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima.

I wonder why these photos were classified for so long - the technology is several decades obsolete.
77-BT-116.jpg

Forest Arden was the chief flight mechanic of a B-29 stationed at Tinian Island. His aircraft was parked nearby the Enola Gay, and he watched the loading procedure of the first atomic bomb
He said that security was strictly enforced, and no one was allowed to approach to within 100 yards!

Few had any inkling of what was about to occur. Everyone was astounded at the sudden end of World War II.

This is an unbelievable set of photos - the REAL thing - pix from Tinian Island as the B-29 "Enola Gay" was being loaded. Notice the "Top Secret" stamp on some of the photos. In the last few pix, notice the CRUDE sheet metal work on the casing and fins of "Little Boy" - the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima.

Fascinating stuff. I just finished reading Jeff Shaara's fourth book in his series on WWII and Bill O'Reilly's Killing the Rising Sun. Both books cover the war in the Pacific and the dropping of the atomic bombs.

I wonder why these photos were classified for so long - the technology is several decades obsolete.
77-BT-116.jpg
I am not aware of when any particular photograph was declassified. I saw a few of the photos years ago. Those of the glassed-in loading pit are among them.

Last edited:
It might shed some psychological insight into the mind of Col. Tibbets (or not) that while most bombers had lurid depictions of Hollywood actresses and fantasy names, Tibbets named his plane after his mother.

It might shed some psychological insight into the mind of Col. Tibbets (or not) that while most bombers had lurid depictions of Hollywood actresses and fantasy names, Tibbets named his plane after his mother.
After asking my mother's permission, I named my registered Red Doberman after her nickname, "Skeeter". My shop crew had gifted her to me as a six week old puppy.

Forum List

Back