Decent All Around Desktop

One that works............

I could recommend a hundred different desktops that are "decent". Maybe a little more info would help narrow it down some. What price range? How fast do you want it to be? You want an "all in one" or a more traditional desktop? What will it's primary purpose be? Windows? Mac? Linux? Touch screen or no touch screen? Etc, etc, etc.......

One that works............

I could recommend a hundred different desktops that are "decent". Maybe a little more info would help narrow it down some. What price range? How fast do you want it to be? You want an "all in one" or a more traditional desktop? What will it's primary purpose be? Windows? Mac? Linux? Touch screen or no touch screen? Etc, etc, etc.......
I now have a Dell that is 3 years old & on it's last legs so I'm looking for something basically just to troll the net. No gaming, don't use it for work, etc. Running Windows & all I need is the tower. Wife does some FB gaming & that's about it.

I now have a Dell that is 3 years old & on it's last legs so I'm looking for something basically just to troll the net. No gaming, don't use it for work, etc. Running Windows & all I need is the tower. Wife does some FB gaming & that's about it.
Okay, what price range? Full tower? Short tower?

Probably $400-500. Short tower
Right now the top rated (by numerous reviews) budget desktop under $500 would be the Acer Aspire TC-895 with the i3 Intel chip.
The thing that sets this one apart from most of the others is it utilizes a NVMe M.2 SSD (solid state storage) which is quite a bit faster than the old HHD hard drives. A 500 GB NVMe drive typically runs around $100 for a good one which makes this a great deal at $500.
This has everything you need and probably a little more.

Here's the Amazon link:
Amazon product

Now to go a little cheaper a top rated budget desktop is the Dell Inspiron 3891at around $460. Pretty much has everything the Acer has at a $40 savings but honestly the Acer is a better machine overall.

Amazon product

Right now the top rated (by numerous reviews) budget desktop under $500 would be the Acer Aspire TC-895 with the i3 Intel chip.
The thing that sets this one apart from most of the others is it utilizes a NVMe M.2 SSD (solid state storage) which is quite a bit faster than the old HHD hard drives. A 500 GB NVMe drive typically runs around $100 for a good one which makes this a great deal at $500.

Here's the Amazon link:
Amazon product

Now to go a little cheaper a top rated budget desktop is the Dell Inspiron 3891at around $460. Pretty much has everything the Acer has at a $40 savings but honestly the Acer is a better machine overall.

Amazon product

Interesting, I don't see the links.........

There was an old "Cathy" cartoon from the '90s where the eponymous heroine claimed she was finally going to get computer. Nothing was going to stop her.

She marched into a computer store and declared, "I'm going to buy a computer!"

The salesman asked her, "What would you like to use it for?"

The last frame showed her explaining to a friend that she didn't buy the computer because the salesman, "Got too technical".

Here's the Amazon link:
Amazon product

Amazon product

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. Much appreciated.

To add... you will be SOOO much happier with an SSD than the older hard drives.
Basically... instead of 30 - 45 seconds to boot up - we're talking 2 or 3 seconds.

Basically... instead of 30 - 45 seconds to boot up - we're talking 2 or 3 seconds.
My Dell takes a couple minutes to boot up.

Here's the Amazon link:
Amazon product

Amazon product

Hah! Another computer nerd like myself. Good suggestion on the ACER though.
Not only is NVME quite a bit faster than old HDs, it's faster than most SATA SSDs.

Let's talk him into building one - maybe with an 8 core Intel i9 and an Nvidia 3080 - yeah, and a 32 inch 4K 144Hz monitor.

Cheers

Is that why you think your 3 year old Dell is on it's last legs?
No, it's been acting up for awhile. Freezing up, scrolling on a website it lags, etc. etc. I suspected a virus, ran a full system scan which found nothing. It does this when usng both Chrome & Edge browsers.

No, it's been acting up for awhile. Freezing up, scrolling on a website it lags, etc. etc. I suspected a virus, ran a full system scan which found nothing. It does this when usng both Chrome & Edge browsers.
It's possible there's a virus. Is it Win 7, 8 or 10? If it's Win 10 you could always do a reinstall, it wipes out all your data (do a backup) then does a fresh install giving you a "new" installed operating system. If that doesn't fix it then there's some hardware going bad.
Note that this for some is an extreme approach, I do it about once a year just because.

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

It's possible there's a virus. Is it Win 7, 8 or 10? If it's Win 10 you could always do a reinstall, it wipes out all your data (do a backup) then does a fresh install giving you a "new" installed operating system. If that doesn't fix it then there's some hardware going bad.
Note that this for some is an extreme approach, I do it about once a year just because.

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10
Using Windows 10. I had Avast, ran a complete scan, found nothing. Installed Norton, same deal.

The loss of hard drive space is a hassle, for now. That was the trade off to keep SSD reasonable. The speed upgrade is pretty awesome though.

Forum List

Back