Death toll rises to 54 due to liquor adulterated with methanol

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The poisonings stem the consumption of a sugarcane distillate called guaro that has illegally been adulterated with methanol. Police and health authorities have mobilized in San José and nearby cities in the Greater Metropolitan Area where the cases have been detected.

The Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) inspected 706 commercial establishments and seized more than 16,000 products on suspicion of being used in methanol poisoning, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

Authorities advise against consuming the following liquor brands: Guaro Chonete, Guaro Cuerazo, Guaro Sacheto, Guaro Gran Apache, Aguardiente Estrella Roja, Guaro Montano, Aguardiente Barón Rojo, Aguardiente Timbuka, Aguardiente Molotov or Guaro Fiesta Blanca.

But nobody from the US has been sick. So, US peeps are at the tourist bars?

Do you know if " the following liquor brands: Guaro Chonete, Guaro Cuerazo, Guaro Sacheto, Guaro Gran Apache, Aguardiente Estrella Roja, Guaro Montano, Aguardiente Barón Rojo, Aguardiente Timbuka, Aguardiente Molotov or Guaro Fiesta Blanca. " are exported to the US?

Do you know if " the following liquor brands: Guaro Chonete, Guaro Cuerazo, Guaro Sacheto, Guaro Gran Apache, Aguardiente Estrella Roja, Guaro Montano, Aguardiente Barón Rojo, Aguardiente Timbuka, Aguardiente Molotov or Guaro Fiesta Blanca. " are exported to the US?
I just ran a search on 3 of them and they didn't show up.

The poisonings stem the consumption of a sugarcane distillate called guaro that has illegally been adulterated with methanol. Police and health authorities have mobilized in San José and nearby cities in the Greater Metropolitan Area where the cases have been detected.

The Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) inspected 706 commercial establishments and seized more than 16,000 products on suspicion of being used in methanol poisoning, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

Authorities advise against consuming the following liquor brands: Guaro Chonete, Guaro Cuerazo, Guaro Sacheto, Guaro Gran Apache, Aguardiente Estrella Roja, Guaro Montano, Aguardiente Barón Rojo, Aguardiente Timbuka, Aguardiente Molotov or Guaro Fiesta Blanca.

Geez, straight grain alcohol is deadly enough to consume but spiked with methanol??? I mix xylene with pump gas to raise the octane level but only my engines consume that mix. I'll stick with diet Mt. Dew thank you!

Geez, straight grain alcohol is deadly enough to consume but spiked with methanol??? I mix xylene with pump gas to raise the octane level but only my engines consume that mix. I'll stick with diet Mt. Dew thank you!
Watch out for those "diet" drinks. Almost all fake sugar products seem to get proved to kill people sooner or later. It's not nice for fool with Mother Nature.

The brands you listed all 'sound' made/spiked south of the border to me. If you take a nip now & then play it safe White 6 & buy north of the border brand names. The last thing we need among all this bizarre C-19 virus pandemic/politick'n are our fellow Americans going blind or dying from having a sip of hooch in an effort to try & wind down for the evening.

The brands you listed all 'sound' made/spiked south of the border to me. If you take a nip now & then play it safe White 6 & buy north of the border brand names. The last thing we need among all this bizarre C-19 virus pandemic/politick'n are our fellow Americans going blind or dying from having a sip of hooch in an effort to try & wind down for the evening.
They are not brands I remember ever buying, just listed in the article. I do sometime sample imported brands. When I do, which in truth is not often, I never consider I might be drinking something that might poison me. Guarantee I will not be trying those brands. Shouldn't mess with a man's liquor, as he will be impaired enough even on the good stuff.

Watch out for those "diet" drinks. Almost all fake sugar products seem to get proved to kill people sooner or later. It's not nice for fool with Mother Nature.

D-2 on this end. I drink distilled water & even use it in my decaf coffee(also reported bad berries!). For us D-2 diagnosed poor bass-turds good tasting foods/drinks turn into a minefield for us. Thanks for the warning White 6 I DO appreciate!

Wasn't me. I don't even know the way to San Jose. Do you?
I do. It's 1/2 mile inside the gates of Hell. Like all capitals it's a shithole. I'm about 4-5 hours from it. I'm so far north I can see lake Nicaragua from my springs FUCK San Jose. Fly into LIR.

D-2 on this end. I drink distilled water & even use it in my decaf coffee(also reported bad berries!). For us D-2 diagnosed poor bass-turds good tasting foods/drinks turn into a minefield for us. Thanks for the warning White 6 I DO appreciate!
I do no dietary sugar substitutes. PJ only does stivia substitutes under the theory it is made from sugar. I grew up in the 60 when people used Saccharine. After that was found to be cancerous, there have been a continuing array of fake sweeteners and is seems to take 5 to 10 years before finding out they screw you up bad, in one way or another. I am no expert, I just don't like the history of track records of the various attempt to substitute. Sorry about the D-2. That said, you probably should take dietary recommendations from a Business Major with a grain of salt, unless your MD has you on a low salt diet. ;) I do real sugar, the original white death. :p

Forum List

Back