Death Penalty Sins Spelled Out In The Bible

Laws of the Old Testament which demand the death penalty
The Old Testament, includes a surprising number of crimes which merit the death penalty as punishment. These laws were believed to form an integral part of the overall "Covenant" between those who worship Yahweh.
No they do not. God is not a short-sighted bureaucrat. The core of the covenant is to follow the principles taught in the Torah. The only eternal laws are the Ten Commandments. All the other laws are simply an application of the Torah principles for that time and place. All of the laws are worth studying to help understand the principles behind them, and then to apply those principles to modern circumstances.

All ancient "god worship" is bull shit.....I rest my case!

Do you need a new aluminum liner for your hat?

I think fschmidt is right. The Torah gives you two choices: life or death. The things that have the potential to cause death are frowned upon. The things that have the potential to cause life are celebrated. Eating shrimp, lobster, catfish and other bottom feeders is one good example. Even in modern times we know that the bycatch when catching bottom feeders is 5 pounds per 1 pound of the intended catch. Other types of fish can be caught with little to no bycatch. Eating shrimp shows that you choose life over death. Another example is that you cannot have sex with a woman on her period. A woman's period is literally the death of an egg that had the potential for life. That was a time for the woman to mourn the loss of life not to celebrate in joyous sex. Semen shooting into any place other than a female vagina is also considered the loss of human life. That is why male homosexuality was viewed as anti-life thus death. Female homosexuality isn't mentioned at all in the Old Testament. Adultery, stealing, murder, bearing false witness are all actions that can lead to your own death. Those practices were to be avoided as well. The Book of Leviticus is an exaggerated and impractical guide for showing the ultimate respect for life in every aspect of your day to day activities.

The Levitical law isn't all that ridiculous if you understand the high standard that is being presented. When you say, "Don't eat shrimp because it's bad." it has little effect. When you say, "Eating shrimp is an abomination." it has a more dramatic impact to inspire an aversion. When you say, "Don't join another religion or you shall surely be put to death." it has an even greater emotional appeal to avoid that behavior. The Hebrew culture respects life. If you know any Jewish people personally then you probably notice they treat people differently than the average person. There were even rituals for killing the animals that they ate for meat because this was a sad occasion as well. The animal had to die so that we may live.

Leviticus is my favorite book of the Bible. I just wish people understood that it is written as a standard not an absolute.

It sounds to me personally like you have your head up your ass. Other than a few statistical, historical facts the bible is a bunch of old men's dreams.......and that's all it is.
You have a few things wrong. "Cut off from their people" does not mean the death penalty.

The death penalty made sense back then, but I don't think it does today when a life sentence is practical. In any case, I love the Old Testament and it certainly reflects my values much better than modern culture does.

Thank you, the OP is the usual misrepresentation of the Hebrew religion.

Don't look at me.....I didn't say it:

Matthew 5:18

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."
You have a few things wrong. "Cut off from their people" does not mean the death penalty.

The death penalty made sense back then, but I don't think it does today when a life sentence is practical. In any case, I love the Old Testament and it certainly reflects my values much better than modern culture does.

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Everything has been accomplished.

So heaven and earth has disappeared??

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished"

No they do not. God is not a short-sighted bureaucrat. The core of the covenant is to follow the principles taught in the Torah. The only eternal laws are the Ten Commandments. All the other laws are simply an application of the Torah principles for that time and place. All of the laws are worth studying to help understand the principles behind them, and then to apply those principles to modern circumstances.

All ancient "god worship" is bull shit.....I rest my case!

Do you need a new aluminum liner for your hat?

I think fschmidt is right. The Torah gives you two choices: life or death. The things that have the potential to cause death are frowned upon. The things that have the potential to cause life are celebrated. Eating shrimp, lobster, catfish and other bottom feeders is one good example. Even in modern times we know that the bycatch when catching bottom feeders is 5 pounds per 1 pound of the intended catch. Other types of fish can be caught with little to no bycatch. Eating shrimp shows that you choose life over death. Another example is that you cannot have sex with a woman on her period. A woman's period is literally the death of an egg that had the potential for life. That was a time for the woman to mourn the loss of life not to celebrate in joyous sex. Semen shooting into any place other than a female vagina is also considered the loss of human life. That is why male homosexuality was viewed as anti-life thus death. Female homosexuality isn't mentioned at all in the Old Testament. Adultery, stealing, murder, bearing false witness are all actions that can lead to your own death. Those practices were to be avoided as well. The Book of Leviticus is an exaggerated and impractical guide for showing the ultimate respect for life in every aspect of your day to day activities.

The Levitical law isn't all that ridiculous if you understand the high standard that is being presented. When you say, "Don't eat shrimp because it's bad." it has little effect. When you say, "Eating shrimp is an abomination." it has a more dramatic impact to inspire an aversion. When you say, "Don't join another religion or you shall surely be put to death." it has an even greater emotional appeal to avoid that behavior. The Hebrew culture respects life. If you know any Jewish people personally then you probably notice they treat people differently than the average person. There were even rituals for killing the animals that they ate for meat because this was a sad occasion as well. The animal had to die so that we may live.

Leviticus is my favorite book of the Bible. I just wish people understood that it is written as a standard not an absolute.

It sounds to me personally like you have your head up your ass. Other than a few statistical, historical facts the bible is a bunch of old men's dreams.......and that's all it is.

Everything has been accomplished.

So heaven and earth has disappeared??

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished"

Depends on what happens this November

do you not wear clothing of mixed fibers? yo know, since all sins are equal, right?

and should someone be stoned to death for adultery?

Yes I wear mixed fibers.
No, not all sins are equal.
I don't know if they should be but people are killed daily in relation to adultery either by a jealous spouse or a crazy girlfriend that wants the married man for himself. Adultery puts you and your spouse in danger of death. You could be killed by your spouse or your crazy mistress. Discouraging adultery is a good practice in my opinion. Using language like, "You shall surely be put to death." works as a good deterrent even if the person is just joking. The Israelites just wanted an orderly society. It isn't that bad of a goal to have.

do you not wear clothing of mixed fibers? yo know, since all sins are equal, right?

and should someone be stoned to death for adultery?

Yes I wear mixed fibers.
No, not all sins are equal.
I don't know if they should be but people are killed daily in relation to adultery either by a jealous spouse or a crazy girlfriend that wants the married man for himself. Adultery puts you and your spouse in danger of death. You could be killed by your spouse or your crazy mistress. Discouraging adultery is a good practice in my opinion. Using language like, "You shall surely be put to death." works as a good deterrent even if the person is just joking. The Israelites just wanted an orderly society. It isn't that bad of a goal to have.

hmmmm.... people getting killed in jealous rages is not equal to a religious mandate for a particular punishment.

that should be obvious. and I know what the old testament requires. that wasn't my point as the thread is about death penalty mandated in the bible. jealous rage is not mandated. and we become more civilized over time....not less.

hmmmm.... people getting killed in jealous rages is not equal to a religious mandate for a particular punishment.

that should be obvious. and I know what the old testament requires. that wasn't my point as the thread is about death penalty mandated in the bible. jealous rage is not mandated. and we become more civilized over time....not less.

No nation in the world (including Israel) uses the Bible to make a religious mandate for a particular punishment. I'm not even convinced that Ancient Israel was strict about these matters.

The things you see in the book of Leviticus that are punishable by death are still bad ideas in 2016. The things you see in the book of Leviticus that lead to life are still good ideas. Stealing something from somebody can really piss people off. Having sex with someone's wife can really piss a man off. The language in the Old Testament that says, "abomination" "you shall be worthy of death" or "shall be stoned without mercy" are just exercises in language to instill certain behaviors in children at an early age. The Book of Leviticus is still the first book of the Torah that is taught to young Jewish children today.

Last edited:

No nation in the world (including Israel) uses the Bible to make a religious mandate for a particular punishment. I'm not even convinced that Ancient Israel was strict about this matters.

The things you see in the book of Leviticus that are punishable by death are still bad ideas in 2016. The things you see in the book of Leviticus that lead to life are still good ideas. Stealing something from somebody can really piss people off. Having sex with someone's wife can really piss a man off. The language in the Old Testament that says, "abomination" "you shall be worthy of death" or "shall be stoned without mercy" are just exercises in language to instill certain behaviors in children at an early age. The Book of Leviticus is still the first book of the Torah that is taught to young Jewish children today.

what do you think trying to out law reproductive choice is?
or trying to interfere with marriage equality?

what do you think trying to out law reproductive choice is?or trying to interfere with marriage equality?

Those are based on American values and American traditions. "All men are created equal" "right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are words listed in the Declaration of Independence. Some of the American values just happen to intersect with Levitical Law but we don't use the Bible as the final authority for our legal system. As a matter of fact using the Bible in judicial matters would be illegal and against American tradition.

There are a lot more things in the Bible than "Thou Shalt not kill". Abortion is tricky because it kills a baby but violates the freedom of the mother. Nobody really knows how to deal with the abortion thing from a moral perspective. From a legal perspective it is only practical to allow abortion for the purpose of resolving the ambiguity of the matter. Nobody can wrap their brain around it.

Gay marriage isn't even mentioned in the Bible. Male homosexuals are supposed to be executed according to the Bible. How can you use the Bible to justify a ban on gay marriage when half of the homosexual are supposed to be executed? That's extremely silly if you think about it. Gay marriage is a modern moral dilemma. Nations who execute homosexuals don't have to trouble themselves over the matter of gay marriage.

The problems you listed are modern problems.

What do you think making murder illegal is?
or Trying to limit the number of shrimp trawlers operating within a coastal state?

Banning murder in the United States has nothing to do with the Bible.
Limiting the environmental impact of shrimp trawling in 2016 has nothing to do with the Bible calling shrimp an abomination.

Reproductive choice is a modern problem. When women had no rights then of course they had to have the baby. There was no debate. The problems you listed are modern problems.

Marriage equality is a modern problem. If all homosexuals were executed then they wouldn't have to worry over getting married. There was no debate. The problems you listed are modern problems.

The Bible is a good place for wisdom on establishing government institutions and administering government. The problems of today are much different than the problems of Ancient Israel. You can utilize the wisdom but you still have to apply the modern circumstances to the problem(s) that arise.

Last edited:

The Bible would demand that the mother have the baby in all cases. This is not the law in the United States.

The Bible would demand the execution of all male homosexuals. This is not the law in the United States.

Your questions are extremely silly. Were you trying to play a joke on all of us?

I still think cheating on your wife frequently, stealing things frequently, murdering people frequently and bearing false witness in court frequently can put you in a dangerous position.

I still think eating shrimp, eating pork, practicing a non-mainstream religion, eating the fat of animals and having anal sex can cause medium term or long term damage to your body.

You may think you can't accept things just because they are in the Bible. It works the other way too. You can't just dismiss things because they are in the Bible. The Bible is a useful book or it would have disappeared like the other billions of books that we never knew existed because they proved themselves to be irrelevant. A book that has passed the test of time (400 years) should never be dismissed as rubbish. A 400+ year old book has relevance to all of humanity or it would have disappeared with the rest of the unknown books.

If a book can last 400 years then it will still be around in 1000 years. To criticize a book of this caliber proves the anti-intellectual properties of the fool administering the criticism.

Note: Sexual deviants are the only people that have a problem with the concept of God. Even skeptics are rather indifferent to the subject.

Last edited:
To be continued…….
I can hardly wait. If I masturbate during the interlude will I be awarded the death penalty?

Onan was put to death by God in a miraculous way. Onan wasn't executed. The Old Testament makes no mention of masturbation neither good or bad. There was certainly no death penalty in the Torah for masturbation.

What do the Pastafarians say about it? :D

A lot actually.

http://www.klps.pl/pliki/gospel_fsm_eng.pdf

To be continued…….

I can hardly wait. If I masturbate during the interlude will I be awarded the death penalty?

Onan was put to death by God in a miraculous way. Onan wasn't executed. The Old Testament makes no mention of masturbation neither good or bad. There was certainly no death penalty in the Torah for masturbation.

There is a prohibition against spilling seed.
Life is important.

There is a prohibition against spilling seed.
Life is important.

You would think so but it isn't specifically mentioned in Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers or Deuteronomy other than the story of Onan. That's just a story of what happened to Onan. It isn't a specific do or don't.

The Talmud could mention it as a prohibition but nobody even agrees on what the Talmud is. I think there is a lot of made up s**** when people start talking about the Talmud.

Why shouldn't they make up stuff about the Talmud? The Talmud is written in Aramaic and is 6 times bigger than Atlas Shrugged. Nobody has ever read it.

Forum List

Back