Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Wondering how much death penalty opinions align with general party affiliation.

My first poll. Hope this works.

Good poll. I am tied ( and one-half opposite ) with "right-leaning anti-capital punishment." Whoops, just checked again and am in the lead...

• Banned
I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

dont change the punishment change the system.

The poll choices are inadequate as there are many people who do not define themselves according to the standard Left/Right choices.

In my case: Independent and perfectly copacetic with the Death Penalty for certain crimes.

Nothin' like a good hangin'.

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.

I'm for the death penalty in the case of heinous crimes.

But the bar should be raised from reasonable doubt to beyond all doubt in the sentencing stage.

There is no such thing as All Doubt.

Reasonable doubt is perfectly reasonable.

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.

And this is the reason I have gone from being pro-death penalty to very tentative as to whether or not it should be used. I would be for it in cases like Charles Manson or OBL but it has to be the most heinous of crimes.

Immie

I wasn't reared to believe anything in that regard. I don't think it should be up to the taxpayers to support certain criminals the rest of their lives, with increasing plush amenities. No system will be perfect. Stay clean. Stay home....:lol:

I respect anyone's feelings on this issue. I am just reporting mine and will not further try to justify them.

I am for the Death Penalty, However with the rise of the Number of People on death row who have been found to be innocent, I am inclined to only support the Death Penalty in cases where there is real Hard Evidence, Preferably DNA evidence. No Death penalty Sentences for someone Convicted on Mostly circumstantial Evidence.

And of course the Crime has to be particularly bad as well.

Last edited:

Good poll. I am tied ( and one-half opposite ) with "right-leaning anti-capital punishment." Whoops, just checked again and am in the lead...
I'm ambivalent and right-leaning. The reason is because too many people are railroaded in by two collaborating witnesses and their supporters who may have committed the crime themselves. In Illinois, there is a "Project Innocence" that found that 11 prisoners on death row in Illinois did not commit the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. It caused a governor to suspend the death penalty in his state until he fulfilled his term.

When I first learned of the Innocence Project, I became anti-death penalty, but as time wore on, I saw that there are some who should never, never be allowed to see daylight again. This would happen in the event of a natural catastrophe such as a flood or earthquake on prison grounds. The evacuation could result in the escape of a serial killer who would just continue his crime. Maybe the public would be served if this type of criminal was disabled from hurting others for good.

The Innocence Project

Last edited:

I'm ambivalent and right-leaning. The reason is because too many people are railroaded in by two collaborating witnesses and their supporters who may have committed the crime themselves. In Illinois, there is a "Project Innocence" that found that 11 prisoners on death row in Illinois did not commit the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. It caused a governor to suspend the death penalty in his state until he fulfilled his term.

When I first learned of the Innocence Project, I became anti-death penalty, but as time wore on, I saw that there are some who should never, never be allowed to see daylight again. This would happen in the event of a natural catastrophe such as a flood or earthquake on prison grounds. The evacuation could result in the escape of a serial killer who would just continue his crime. Maybe the public would be served if this type of criminal was disabled from hurting others for good.

The Innocence Project

The problem with your hypothetical is that it hasn't happened - whereas hundreds of innocent people have been executed unjustly.

The odds of someone escaping a SuperMax facility are lower than the odds of a lethal injection not working.

As a conservative, my only choice is against the death penalty. The exception being for those in uniform who violate the uscmj resulting in a death penalty.

data to support please
To be taken seriously when a poster makes a statement like that as FACT data /stats are required

Last edited:

For those reasons and NO ONE who calls himself or herself a fiscal conservative could possibly support capital punishment. It costs 8 to 10 times more than life without parole.

data to support please
To be taken seriously when a poster makes a statement like that as FACT data /stats are required
Here's a bunch.
Executed But Possibly Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center

Forum List

Back