Death Penalty Duplicity

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The death penalty is Constitutional under the U.S. Constitution and under almost all of our state constitutions.

Prosecutors continue to give great consideration, and seek death sentences against only the most heinous murderers. Prosecutors tailor their cases to get those convictions and must prove again and again, not only the guilt of the defendant but the defendants deserving of the DP. Juries fret and strain over the decision of whether to impose the DP, some of them losing sleep for years over that momentous decision.

State legislature set up various roadblocks, rights of appeals, and so on, to ensure that no one is wrongly executed, and it is usually many years after the crime, let alone the conviction before it is even possible to execute someone because of all of the mandatory and discretionary appeals have run their course.

And yet governors and Presidents take great pride in telling their constituents basically, "Well, I'm just not comfortable with it, so 'we' won't execute anyone while I'm Governor/President."

Is this not bullshit? Starting with the survivors of the victims of those crimes, and going through an army of people who have done their level best to see that the defendant is guilty and completely deserving of execution...not to mention the general public, which is ENTITLED by law to see that justice is done in these horrific cases, aren't these executives betraying ALL OF US?

A lot of people oppose the death penalty, but so what? The way to eliminate the death penalty is to change the constitutions, or AS A MINIMUM pass a law to that effect in order to (a) give the peoples' representatives a say in the matter, and (b) allow the death penalty infrastructure to STOP WASTING TIME prosecuting these cases.

Yes, this is bullshit.

Yet one more small example of the difference between real Americans and Democrats. There is no doubt in my mind that President Biden-Harris will declare a moratorium on the Death Penalty - except for people perceived as "right wingers."

What Constitution?

The death penalty is Constitutional under the U.S. Constitution and under almost all of our state constitutions.

Prosecutors continue to give great consideration, and seek death sentences against only the most heinous murderers. Prosecutors tailor their cases to get those convictions and must prove again and again, not only the guilt of the defendant but the defendants deserving of the DP. Juries fret and strain over the decision of whether to impose the DP, some of them losing sleep for years over that momentous decision.

Here's the main problem with the Death Penalty.

Since it was re-instated in 1973, 170 people sent to death row were exonerated of the crimes they had been convicted of.

18 people who had been executed, there were serious doubts about the crimes they committed.

the risk of executing an innocent person far outweighs any benefits of Capital Punishment.

The US is one of the few industrialized nations that still use the death penalty. China, Muslim countries and India still embrace it.

In the US, most states no longer use it except for Bible Belt states who execute in the name of Jesus.

At the Federal Level, Trump rushed to execute 13 prisoners. More than had been executed in decades

Capital Punishment is the steep price paid for living in a civilization? and demanding someone else, with no skin in the game pretend he, or she, is better equipped to dole out punishment-

Since it was re-instated in 1973, 170 people sent to death row were exonerated of the crimes they had been convicted of.

18 people who had been executed, there were serious doubts about the crimes they committed.
the risk of executing an innocent person far outweighs any benefits of Capital Punishment.

So whst? I have no issue with executing 1000 potentially not guilty folks to get the guilty ones dead. Then again I’m of the belief that ALL FELONIES should get the death penalty... no exceptions.

1610895062666.jpeg

State legislature set up various roadblocks, rights of appeals, and so on, to ensure that no one is wrongly executed, and it is usually many years after the crime, let alone the conviction before it is even possible to execute someone because of all of the mandatory and discretionary appeals have run their course.

And yet governors and Presidents take great pride in telling their constituents basically, "Well, I'm just not comfortable with it, so 'we' won't execute anyone while I'm Governor/President."

Is this not bullshit? Starting with the survivors of the victims of those crimes, and going through an army of people who have done their level best to see that the defendant is guilty and completely deserving of execution...not to mention the general public, which is ENTITLED by law to see that justice is done in these horrific cases, aren't these executives betraying ALL OF US?

A lot of people oppose the death penalty, but so what? The way to eliminate the death penalty is to change the constitutions, or AS A MINIMUM pass a law to that effect in order to (a) give the peoples' representatives a say in the matter, and (b) allow the death penalty infrastructure to STOP WASTING TIME prosecuting these cases.

Yes, this is bullshit.

Yet one more small example of the difference between real Americans and Democrats. There is no doubt in my mind that President Biden-Harris will declare a moratorium on the Death Penalty - except for people perceived as "right wingers."

What Constitution?
Considering Kamala Harris' suppression of evidence in a DP case this will be rather interesting.

I think people get confused with the appeals and assume the case is being retried. It's about procedural errors only. So, you can have someone that has been wrongly convicted that winds up on death row.

But, I do think that there needs to be a change and either do it or don't.

Yes, this is bullshit.

What Constitution?
Considering Kamala Harris' suppression of evidence in a DP case this will be rather interesting.

I think people get confused with the appeals and assume the case is being retried. It's about procedural errors only. So, you can have someone that has been wrongly convicted that winds up on death row.

California has executed 13 people in the last 50 years
Trump executed 13 in the last year

Yes, this is bullshit.

What Constitution?

California has executed 13 people in the last 50 years
Trump executed 13 in the last year
I'm aware. I've created threads on it.

So whst? I have no issue with executing 1000 potentially not guilty folks to get the guilty ones dead. Then again I’m of the belief that ALL FELONIES should get the death penalty... no exceptions.
But you're nuttier than a sack of cashews.

Yes, this is bullshit.

What Constitution?

Here in California, bad people laugh at the threat of the death penalty.

There are more than 700 people on Death Row, but none of them will ever be executed, even the ones who are clearly guilty.

Our governor has said that he will not allow any executions (although the last time there was a vote on the matter, the people said they wanted capital punishment).

To be fair, the death penalty is pretty much abolished officially or unofficially in most "advanced" countries. Liberals have done an excellent job in convincing people that the death penalty is cruel and barbaric.

I hope that I am allowed to cite this case. A few days ago in Philadelphia, a young man was walking his dog at night. (At night? In Philadelphia?) A robber came up to him and shot him dead. The victim's family is in shock, as is the young man's fiancee. Of course the perp will not be executed. It's too cruel, you know.

If President Trump accomplished nothing else, at least his administration executed about half a dozen very bad people. He gave some closure to the grieving families of victims. Thank you, Mr. President.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back