Death of the Dividend

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Pretty much all the corps are cancelling these at the moment. I understand it but its tough on pensioners who rely on the payments to get by.
I don't really have a problem with it if the cash keeps the company going and people in work. I would not be happy if it were used for other purposes.
I get maybe £1k a year from dividends so I am not being noble here. Its not going to affect me much. But a lot of people have invested in shares and funds because interest rates have been crap for years.
Tough times.

Pretty much all the corps are cancelling these at the moment. I understand it but its tough on pensioners who rely on the payments to get by.
I don't really have a problem with it if the cash keeps the company going and people in work. I would not be happy if it were used for other purposes.
I get maybe £1k a year from dividends so I am not being noble here. Its not going to affect me much. But a lot of people have invested in shares and funds because interest rates have been crap for years.
Tough times.

Oh they are gonna get you too dufis they just haven't made to your group of asses yet. YOU WILL PAY FOR THEIR LOSS SHIT DIP SHIT IN TAXES you get to pay bahahhah.

Dividends are only affected if the company accepts a loan as part of the stimulus package. At least that is what I understand from the sketchy information out so far.
Not sure what the situation is on the aid package over here. But companies who can afford to pay a dividend should not be getting handouts. Thats just common sense really.

Tough times.

Oh they are gonna get you too dufis they just haven't made to your group of asses yet.
This is one of the more mature forums on here. Dont drag it down.

Tough times.

Oh they are gonna get you too dufis they just haven't made to your group of asses yet.
This is one of the more mature forums on here. Dont drag it down.

Oh you mean that engineered bs of lies --------

Drag it down --- u facts hurt we know you try to hide that from yourself and you following idiots but hey sucks to be dumbass.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

It is very unclear which corporations are subject to the share buyback and dividend restrictions. Most companies pride themselves on their dividends being maintained through thick and thin. Hopefully, none accept any government loans if these new rules are in place. The dividend restriction is going to fuck the stock price of any stock with dividends, so buying back shares would be the normal response from corporate headquarters since a reduction in shares would increase the stock price. In this bailout scenario some other entity is going to buy up the depressed shares with the intention of possibly taking over the company at a later date, sell off divisions, lay off employees, etc. and then sell the company to a Chinese company or whatever. Either way, this government meddling in corporate structure and decision making is likely going to hurt dividend stocks, money market funds, and stock prices in general.

keep-calm-and-stay-on-the-dole.png

Tough times.

Today's (March 26) online Barron's has an article about companies that are trying to save their dividends.

Tough times.

Today's (March 26) online Barron's has an article about companies that are trying to save their dividends.

AMC paid out today, albeit a reduced amount. How can they justify that when they are virtually closed ?

Tough times.
Actually there are plenty of stocks that are going to pay their dividend. Check this out:

A Dividend Aristocrat is a company in the S&P 500 that has paid and increased its base dividend every year for at least 25 consecutive years. S&P Dow Jones Indices, which owns the S&P 500 index, reviews the list of qualifying companies every year and updates the list of companies that carry Dividend Aristocrat status. Their impressive track records of dividend growth make Dividend Aristocrats some of the most attractive dividend stocks to own.

The dividend aristocrats pay their dividend even in recessions.

Last edited:
Tough times.

AMC paid out today, albeit a reduced amount. How can they justify that when they are virtually closed ?

AMC paid out today, albeit a reduced amount.

They cut it 85% at the end of February, times were tough last year.

How can they justify that when they are virtually closed ?

Don't you worry, I'm sure it will be zero after this.

Dividends are only affected if the company accepts a loan as part of the stimulus package. At least that is what I understand from the sketchy information out so far.
When there is a recession and companies don't make money a lot of times they suspend or cut their dividend.

Tough times.
I've gotten all my march and first of April divys, but 1 which cancelled it this quarter, but half my shares missed the x-divy date anyway and I've made more on trading the news on it then any divy could give. In fact 2 increased the divy.

Tough times.
It's another bear market around the corner for the big dogs to
secure an even bigger chunk of the pie, it looks like, unless a lot of billionaires suddenly decide to start being generous.
giphy (3).gif

You won't believe what I received today from a flailing oil resource company, a 100% capital return and yet the price never droped the amount taken out anytime that I remember. So wasn't expecting a divy, especially from an oil company, usually they give a share of a penny stock they hold, one you couldn't cash out when there were trading commissions. My note paid today, from a company that held off their stock divy and preferred divy. So far only one slight reduced divy, 1 increased divy and one surprise capital return.
So far no issues with fixed income except that 1 preferred which I day traded extra shares sucessfully with, it's gotten me back to prelevels and we aren't even back to work yet. So called pros said it would take years to get your portfolio back, if your broker is one of them, then fire them, they are limiting your knowledge and access to the many tricks used to counter crashing and uncertain markets.

Forum List

Back