Death Of A City: The Portland Story?

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This is what will eventually happen to all blue cities.

How long does it take for a city to die? Downtowns across the country have emptied due to the pandemic, causing many stores and restaurants to close. Suburbs are doing much better, in many cases hardly touched by the recession. But in Portland, Oregon, continued violence and vandalism have combined with high housing costs, homelessness and poor community leadership to raise the question: how long before this city dies?
Portland has been doing well for years, and current problems are not certain to end the city’s life.

Sure. Thats why they are the leading contender for MLB expansion. Because baseball wants to expand to dying cities.

But wait...why are they leaving Oakland?

Sure. Thats why they are the leading contender for MLB expansion. Because baseball wants to expand to dying cities.

They're on the list...not leading
Leading. Then Charlotte and Nashville. Then Vancouver and Montreal. Then Las Vegas, although that's not ideal for mlb, for a variety of reasons.

You can have a baseball team in a metro where the primary city wreaks.

The Pacific Northwest is a very desirable place to live for many. And so Portland suburbs will flourish.

And hopefully, Portland will too.

But it is, for sure, a city that has big issues. I have a friend who lives in Oregon City. They just opened up rail out to where he lives (close by anyway). He and his wife (great art lovers) have no interest in downtown Portland. They prefer not to step on someone or their feces.

That is a shame. I lived in the NW for seven years and two or three times a year we would drive to Portland. We would take the Columbia River Gorge route and it was beautiful. I remember it being a beautiful city that had a lot of really neat unique restaurants.

Liberals fuck up everything they touch.

Oakland is a massive Prog city. But it is the Anti Frisco in wealth compared to S.F.. They have lost the Basketball team and the Football team because of no new stadiums. And the Athletics play in the worst stadium or next to worst in Baseball. I give Oakland credit for one thing. Not being held hostage by the Major sports leagues. If a team moves to Portland, they better map out where the rioting was and is. Locate the stadium well away from this.

I admire Oakland for not building stadiums for multi-billionaires. I always loved the huge foul area behind home plate, but that stadium is in awful shape. Sometimes you can smell sewage in the lower locker room areas. But no city should spend tax dollars for stadiums.

Port of Portland ...decent harbors with easy rail-links to The East are few and far between along The West Coast ... look at the price of lumber lately and you'll see timber is a strong market ... and it's cheaper to buy our food from California than grow our own, all this acreage for cash crops ...

A lot of wealth in Portland ... folks don't normally walk away from money ... no sales tax ... how much you paying? ... ha ha ha ha ...

ETA: The main down side in Portland is chronic and severe labor shortages ... my local Lowe's has a 12 foot by 16 foot "help wanted" sign in front ... Safeway, Walmart, Taco Bell pretty much have permanent signs on their doors ... because of a shortage of housing, and that's by design ... we don't want you moving here, so we've made house-building incredibly difficult ... "Come and visit Oregon often, just leave the U-Hauls at home" -- Gov. Tom McCall

Last edited:

Leading. Then Charlotte and Nashville. Then Vancouver and Montreal. Then Las Vegas, although that's not ideal for mlb, for a variety of reasons.

~~~~~~
**********​

not leading.......Vegas is leading
I think we are talking past each other. Las Vegas is probably the first choice for relocation of the existing Oakland Athletics. Portland is the first choice for expansion of the leagues.

Yeah, right!

Ben Verlander's top five candidates for Major League Baseball expansion
  1. Nashville, Tennessee. Finally, it’s time we get an MLB team in Nashville. ...
  2. Montreal, Canada. Montreal deserves its team back! ...
  3. Las Vegas, Nevada. In 2019, the Las Vegas Aviators, the Triple-A affiliate of the Athletics, led all of Minor League Baseball in attendance.
  4. Charlotte, North Carolina. I would love to see an MLB team in Charlotte. ...
  5. Portland, Oregon. ...

Forum List

Back