Deaf woman says she was refused service at Dunkin' for asking employees to lower masks

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Meanwhile celebrities hug and scream in each others faces, drunk and having fun, maskless. Mayor dance to the music and "catch the spirit" of the free maskless life.

No matter how this pandemic unfolds there are certain people and characters I refuse to become.

A deaf woman in California said she was denied service at a local Dunkin’ location after she asked employees to remove their masks so she could read their lips.

"I couldn’t hear anything. I wear a cochlear implant, but I didn’t have it on at that time. I’ve never been refused service and it hurts," Shannon Heroux said in a viral TikTok video she posted Sept. 13.

The incident occurred in the Encino area earlier this month when Heroux, who is an Uber driver, was at the cash register of the Dunkin’ and asked the cashier and manager to lower their masks so she could read their lips or to write down what they were saying.

"He didn’t believe me. You could see it in his body language," Heroux said of the manager. "I kept saying, ‘Write it down,’ once or twice, and then he just kept talking with his mask on. And then before I know it, I said, ‘Are you going to take my order?’ and he said no, or he shook his head no."

Meanwhile celebrities hug and scream in each others faces, drunk and having fun, maskless. Mayor dance to the music and "catch the spirit" of the free maskless life.

No matter how this pandemic unfolds there are certain people and characters I refuse to become.

A deaf woman in California said she was denied service at a local Dunkin’ location after she asked employees to remove their masks so she could read their lips.

"I couldn’t hear anything. I wear a cochlear implant, but I didn’t have it on at that time. I’ve never been refused service and it hurts," Shannon Heroux said in a viral TikTok video she posted Sept. 13.

The incident occurred in the Encino area earlier this month when Heroux, who is an Uber driver, was at the cash register of the Dunkin’ and asked the cashier and manager to lower their masks so she could read their lips or to write down what they were saying.

"He didn’t believe me. You could see it in his body language," Heroux said of the manager. "I kept saying, ‘Write it down,’ once or twice, and then he just kept talking with his mask on. And then before I know it, I said, ‘Are you going to take my order?’ and he said no, or he shook his head no."
Sounds like Dunkin might have an ADA based lawsuit coming their way and they should be sued out of existence.

To get her message across textually also maybe the counter person is mute?

1632253069152.png

I suppose the next thing you're going to say is the counter person didn't have lips either.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Doesn't she know how to write?

She asked the server to do so, they told her no.

They were probably afraid of the Wuhan Virus being spread via the paper. Maybe they could have written and shown it from afar, or, made a paper airplane and sent it with a happy face. Maybe a drone if it was available.

People are afraid of their own shadows and often it's people in positions of authority who are encouraging them to be mindless creampuffs

The employee may have been under strict orders that he/she would be fired for taking the mask off BUT, this is clearly a case a good attorney could use to sue under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Except we know that our current government is lawless in any area that would put restrictions on THEIR power.

Forum List

Back