Zone1 DC Mayor Muriel Bowser declares emergency over migrant buses from Texas, Arizona

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
Bowser argues the migrant crisis is 'certainly not of our making'

Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a public emergency over buses of migrants that continue to arrive in the city from Texas and Arizona on Thursday.

Bowser's emergency declaration will set aside funding to accommodate migrants as well as create the Office of Migrant Services. The OMS will be tasked with providing temporary accommodations, urgent medical needs, transportation" and other services for migrants….

"Regardless of the federal response — which I think has been lacking in some respects — that the District of Columbia would continue to work with partners to advance what we need and ensure our systems in D.C. are not broken by a crisis that is certainly not of our making," Bowser added.

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser declares emergency over migrant buses from Texas, Arizona

Well, I sort of laughed when I heard that Texas & Arizona were sending undocumented immigrants (awaiting refugee status rulings or other investigations) to NYC and the D.C. area. Talk about an “Office of Migrant Services”!

I laughed, but it’s a tremendously serious issue, and not just for Texas and border states either. The failures here go back a long way and should not be blamed on just one party, or on just a few industries that desperately seek cheap labor. As a political issue the Trump Republicans have taken this issue over and used it extremely effectively. V.P. Harris and her whole party in my opinion have shown utter incompetence in addressing this problem politically.

It is a tragedy and absolutely unacceptable — on many levels — that our country has well over 10 million almost permanent illegal residents. I think the Democrats have been badly mistaken in not getting ahead of this issue. They should be pushing loudly for a comprehensive solution to the illegal immigration issue, even if It goes nowhere at this point.

The original compromise “Gang of Eight” proposals advocated by 4 prominent Dems and 4 prominent Repubs (passed in the House in 2013) can still serve as a foundation for emigration reform if both parties return to their senses, but they will have to be updated:

Gang of Eight (immigration) - Wikipedia

I believe that a road to “conditional permanent residency” and even eventual citizenship for “dreamers” and millions of others who can show they have lived here for years as honest workers … remains viable and should be pursued.

Such reform will have to be combined with gradual extension of the still limited “E-Verify” program to ever smaller businesses, as well as with the “border security upgrades” usually promised, and other new immigration programs, and probably with changes in handling refugee claims too.

There was actually a “Dignity” immigration reform bill put forward by seven Republicans last year that was based on the lines above. Here is a Liberal Democratic critique of that proposal and a MAGA Republican critique as well. What do you think?

The Dignity Act Could Signal Increasing Support for Immigration Reform on Capitol Hill

Handful of House Republicans Unveil a New Amnesty Bill | Federation for American Immigration Reform

Last edited:
Pipe dream.....Congress likes the way it is now.....Why do you think they ceded their power to the executive branch?

I hope to see it all implode before I take my dirt nap as there is no hope on the horizon at all. The current generation will pass on their lack of moral fiber to the next one and Idiocracy will become a documentary.

Why do people act like they want to solve the illegal problem and then support policies that will incite more to hop the border?
"we need to fix the problem. Thats why i support giving them free shit"
DERP

The chickens have come home to ...
Well this is nothing new at all. Most immigrants who arrive in small border towns for decades have been quick to travel to farms in California or Florida or head north to urban cities and suburbs where they can find work. The question is how to handle or slow this wave of undocumented immigrants and deal with those millions already here.

In my part of Florida they are a big part of the low wage economy — harvesting crops. cutting grass, cleaning homes and acting as aids for old people.

If we cut off incentive, they would leave on their own.
We need to revisit that bullshit ruling that said they are entitled to free public school and free healthcare, work with states to mandate everify for employers, enforce laws against hiring illegals and make the penalties stiffer, make it a federal crime to house them.
They will leave when they are all starving, sick and dumb living under bridges.
And for gawd sakes, quit giving them free citizenship! Worst idea EVER.
You cant run a successful anything with emotion.

A piece of shit mayor whines about the piece of shit policies she supports when the chickens come home to roost.

I say we escalate Muriel's problem. Instead of just busing these goons to her city, I think we should be dropping them all off right in front of her house. Let her get a taste of what Texans and Arizonans are going through thanks to that inglorious asshole Joe Bedpan.

Bowser when Texas/Arizona towns don't want to be bombarded: "WHAT A BUNCH OF RACIST REPUBLICANS!!!"
Bowswer when the bombarding comes to DC: "Guys, this is serious"

If we cut off incentive, they would leave on their own.
We need to revisit that bullshit ruling that said they are entitled to free public school and free healthcare, work with states to mandate everify for employers, enforce laws against hiring illegals and make the penalties stiffer, make it a federal crime to house them.
They will leave when they are all starving, sick and dumb living under bridges.
And for gawd sakes, quit giving them free citizenship! Worst idea EVER.
You cant run a successful anything with emotion.
Cut off incentives? One way to do that is to let the U.S. economy collapse. Surely that is not any solution, but it may occur. Our economy attracts those willing to work the hardest, and our social structure ensures “wetbacks” work for the least money. Business loves that. The capitalist economy itself loves that.

We already have plenty of people living under bridges, plenty of strung-out “All American” addicts, white collar criminals and utterly non-productive coupon clippers living off our crazy system of finance capitalism.

I fear that in the U.S. only a major extended crash of the stock market, depression, and cutbacks to all safety net programs could significantly make more of our sadly obese and spoiled U.S. citizens to get up off their sofas and try to join the ranks of the already hard-working working class … but would they really be able to replace these immigrant workers? … and who needs all that anyway?

Those immigrants lacking papers are among the hardest workers in the country, doing tough jobs. They can’t and haven’t been becoming citizens since Reagan’s 1986 Amnesty Reform Act ended. Our economy needs these workers and their “Dreamer” kids too. Our population is actually declining without them.

That said, you are absolutely right. We could try to use expanded programs like EVerify and draconian police raids to discourage illegals from coming here, and try to drive all the hard-working families out too.

But taking jobs away can backfire too. Without work or a potential road forward for 10+ million people you can create a disaster for many industries, see entrepreneual small businesses disappear in towns all across the country, drive millions into crime and drugs too, while turning the country into a police state. It can be done. It has been done elsewhere in the past. But why do it that way here?

We need a comprehensive solution, not just police measures and economic coercion, which in any case will probably never equal what many immigrants face in the countries they fled and we are trying to force them to return to. A reasonably fair, rational, well thought-out comprehensive solution is what is necessary. One part of that would be to expand E-Verify gradually as an incentive to illegal immigrants to “legalize” themselves and as a disincentive for new immigrants to arrive illegally.

That is what my OP was all about, what it discussed, what it urges.

Last edited:
Well, I sort of laughed when I heard that Texas & Arizona were sending undocumented immigrants (awaiting refugee status rulings or other investigations) to NYC and the D.C. area. Talk about an “Office of Migrant Services”!

I laughed, but it’s a tremendously serious issue, and not just for Texas and border states either. The failures here go back a long way and should not be blamed on just one party, or on just a few industries that desperately seek cheap labor. As a political issue the Trump Republicans have taken this issue over and used it extremely effectively. V.P. Harris and her whole party in my opinion have shown utter incompetence in addressing this problem politically.

It is a tragedy and absolutely unacceptable — on many levels — that our country has well over 10 million almost permanent illegal residents. I think the Democrats have been badly mistaken in not getting ahead of this issue. They should be pushing loudly for a comprehensive solution to the illegal immigration issue, even if It goes nowhere at this point.

The original compromise “Gang of Eight” proposals advocated by 4 prominent Dems and 4 prominent Repubs (passed in the House in 2013) can still serve as a foundation for emigration reform if both parties return to their senses, but they will have to be updated:

I believe that a road to “conditional permanent residency” and even eventual citizenship for “dreamers” and millions of others who can show they have lived here for years as honest workers … remains viable and should be pursued.

Such reform will have to be combined with gradual extension of the still limited “E-Verify” program to ever smaller businesses, as well as with the “border security upgrades” usually promised, and other new immigration programs, and probably with changes in handling refugee claims too.

There was actually a “Dignity” immigration reform bill put forward by seven Republicans last year that was based on the lines above. Here is a Liberal Democratic critique of that proposal and a MAGA Republican critique as well. What do you think?

The Dignity Act Could Signal Increasing Support for Immigration Reform on Capitol Hill

Handful of House Republicans Unveil a New Amnesty Bill | Federation for American Immigration Reform
Don't they know Summer is over? Why do you think Joes also sent buses of illegal immigrants? Those leaves are already falling and they will need all the leave blowers they can get their hands on. Stupid democRats.

Yes the border has always had problems, but the problems were manageable. Border towns were not being overwhelmed by numbers of immigrants greater than their populations. What is particularly fascinating is the complete reversal that the Democratic Party has made on illegal immigration. Google any immigration video on Obama, Schumer, Biden, Hillary,Pelosi etc. from the 2000s and you would swear they were quoting Donald Trump. It is truly astounding how quickly the entire Party flip flopped on this critical issue. Now why do you suppose they did? :confused-84:

About 12 years I helped build an industrial building for a drywall company called Beans drywall. When the building was ready to be drywalled in came his crew. Not one spoke English and I don't think any were legal. Never had I seen a group of a holes tear up other trades work as these yahoos. Every place that had an access panel was covered. To prevent it happening Metal plates were screwed on to prevent it from causing us more work. So they took off the plates and covered them a second time. When you do a shitty job it doesn't take long before you are out of business as was the way of Beans Drywall. The owner was never fined for hiring these hacks. A few years latter he was back under a different name with a different crew and we were building him another building. Still no one spoke English and their workmanship just as bad as the last. This business went the way of the first with still no fines to the owner. Paying rock bottom wages he made a bunch of cash screwing other builders as he played them twice. Chas Roberts was a large heating and air company. One of the largest in Arizona. Roberts fired all his experienced workers hiring illegals to take their place. He hired a few that would follow these illegals and fix their sorry work but you can only get away with cutting so many trusses and beams in half and this company is no longer in business. I had a lot of friends that worked for Chas Roberts and none knew it was coming. These are the type that have made profit off illegals and are worst than the illegals they use and they still do it today.

Why don't you start by finding some of those honest workers you talk about as all I see here in Arizona are hacks that could screw up a wet dream. They have a custom in Mexico to drive drunk but since they don't have a drivers license why should they have insurance since Phoenix cops give them get out of jail free cards and if they total another car they give them another card. THE SECOND TRUCK THEY TOTALED IN MY FAMILY THEY WERE FOLLOWED. PHOENIX PIGS WERE LEAD TO HIS HOUSE HE SHARED WITH 35 OTHERS AND FOUND HIS CAR IN THE BACKYARD UNDER A TARP. TOOK HIM TO A SUB STATION AND HELD HIM 5 MINUTES THEN RELEASED HIM WITHOUT A SLAP ON THE WREST. NOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO US FOR A DRUNKEN HIT AND RUN IN PHOENIX? IT HAPPENES ALL THE TIME HERE IN PHOENIX. ALSO HOME INVASION IS ANOTHER POPULAR CRIME FROM SOUTH OF THE BORDER MY NEIGHBOR WAS STABBED. HIS DAUGHTER MADE IT TO A CLOSET AND CALLED PHOENIX PD ONE INVADER WAS KILL;ED AND THE OTHER 3 MADE A CLEAN GET A WAY. THE STUPID COPS SPENT THE REST OF THE NIGHT KNOCKING ON DOORS WAKING UP EVERYONE WITH IN A HALF MILE. HOW DO 3 GET AWAY WHEN YOU HAVE THEM SURROUNDED? ASK PHOENIX. yep, no longer do I keep a hand gun ready, it's an AR-10 and an AK when Phoenix cops show up they won't have to worry of some getting away SEND ALL THOSE CRIMINALS RIGHT UP JOE'S ASS SIDEWAYS. INCLUDING THE DEAD ONES. IT WILL MAKE HIM SMELL BETTER ASK THE POPE.

I make it a rule not to read rants ALL IN CAPS, but I made an exception in your case.

I’m really sorry you seem to live in a very tough neighborhood and have had or know people who have had bad crime experiences. I lived a similar life in NYC back in the 1970s during the huge crack epidemic there. Phoenix crime has increased rapidly I know, and the Phoenix PD admit they are understaffed by some 400 officers. You guys seem to be on one of the main routes for drug and human smuggling operations by Mexican gangs. But I also know there are many safe areas in Phoenix as well, nice suburban and retirement communities, etc.

Arizona has one of the most liberal gun laws in the nation, so that doesn’t seem to be helping in reducing crime much. I think it’s fine if you carry. I do every time I’m out in a dangerous neighborhood, or even just out shopping at Walmart. I note you now have a Republican Governor and a Democratic Mayor, who followed a Republican mayor … but that in itself means nothing to me.

There are plenty of hard-working illegal immigrants where I live. That is pretty much all I see in my mostly safe Florida community. Their being “illegal” is the main problem I was addressing, but of course there is plenty of crime and gang activity near our land borders that needs addressing as well. I certainly have no objection to there being much more resources made available near the borders, or more concentration on illegal immigrant violent criminals from ICE, local and state police, the Federal government, etc.

My own experience has been far from land borders with Mexico and is very different from yours. The criminal activity I have experienced is mostly from “All-American” addicts or professional criminals or just dumb out-of-control youth, often but absolutely not exclusively young African-American males. Of course “white collar crime,” corruption, and the “unfairness” built into big finance capitalism is not nearly so obvious as crime on our streets.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back