David Attenborough: A life lived on our planet.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Well done. Smart, non preachy and effective.
Instead of preaching about climate change, his approach is a smarter and more universally accepted one: We are out using our resources.
Planet Earth is finite, it has an edge. And beyond that edge is cold, dark empty space.
Our planet has limited resources as well. And we are using them faster than they can possibly be renewed.
Using good examples such as Bornea. Once 70% covered by rainforest, they have wiped out over half of it to plant oil palms. And the rainforest in the region now only covers 30%.
When David Attenborough was born in 1926 - The entire planet was 66% forest lands. Today - 30%. In less than 100 years mankind has wiped out over half of the planets forest. At the rate we are going by 2050 there will only be scant areas dotted across the planet.
Then there are the oceans. And that story is even worse.

Instead of preaching about climate change, his approach is a smarter and more universally accepted one: We are out using our resources.
Planet Earth is finite, it has an edge. And beyond that edge is cold, dark empty space.
Our planet has limited resources as well. And we are using them faster than they can possibly be renewed.
Using good examples such as Bornea. Once 70% covered by rainforest, they have wiped out over half of it to plant oil palms. And the rainforest in the region now only covers 30%.
When David Attenborough was born in 1926 - The entire planet was 66% forest lands. Today - 30%. In less than 100 years mankind has wiped out over half of the planets forest. At the rate we are going by 2050 there will only be scant areas dotted across the planet.

Thats bad policy instigated by the greens.......

I like Attenborogh, but even he uses plastic, paper, oil, electricity, cars, planes, trains...........
So what is his solution?

I like Attenborogh, but even he uses plastic, paper, oil, electricity, cars, planes, trains...........
So what is his solution?

Just sayin... paper is 100% renewable. And has been since the 1980s. Not only has the production of paper not reduced forest for decades now, it has actually increased the number of forest by replanting forest that it had once cut down for paper years prior.

And at the end of the documentary - he outlines how the process can be reversed, and gives examples of where it has been done.

Green salvation in fact is the opposite. Why does anyone listen to a word they say anymore
Uh... Attenborough has spoken against palm oil trees for years. And is why, no doubt, he chose to highlight their destructiveness not once, but twice in this documentary.

I live off-grid with solar energy. I wash my clothes by hand. I have no microwave, dishwasher, or any other "modern" appliance. My "slow cooker" is a cast iron dutch oven on the wood-burning stove. I have 200 acres of renewable resources, among other things. I'm more than happy to invite Sir Attenborough to my Alaskan homestead. I hope he has no problem stacking 10 cords of firewood.

Green salvation in fact is the opposite. Why does anyone listen to a word they say anymore
Uh... Attenborough has spoken against palm oil trees for years. And is why, no doubt, he chose to highlight their destructiveness not once, but twice in this documentary.
Doesnt minimize the fact its greenie policy that has led to this. And its happened with other green policies that once they get implemented they prove to be the opposite of what they were touted as.

Doesnt minimize the fact its greenie policy that has led to this. And its happened with other green policies that once they get implemented they prove to be the opposite of what they were touted as.
Semantics.
There is no argument we are using resources faster than they can renew.
Regardless of who is at fault.

Preachy is right. It's easy to accept the claims because that's all we ever hear. The fact is that forest growth in the U.S. has been increasing since the 40's. Anybody who has ever hunted in the deep forests of the Catskills in NY has found man made walls all over the place. The simple explanation is that the area was once farm land but has returned to forest at least in the last hundred years. Evidence of the deforestation that went on during the Mayan culture in South America is evident in the ruins found deep in the jungle which indicates that immense acreage in Mexico and Central and South American jungles were once clear cut by ancient cultures and have returned to jungles.

I agree with David that the human population should be brought under control. Bad element, humanity...

I agree with David that the human population should be brought under control. Bad element, humanity...
That problem will likely solve itself.
We haven't had a real pandemic yet. We are ripe for it.
And no, Covid is not the first one. The kill rate is much too low to be a real pandemic.
Now imagine a Covid with a double figure kill rate.

Forum List

Back