Daughter Sues Parents for Slipping on Driveway

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
MADISON, Wis. -- An Illinois woman is suing her Wisconsin parents for maintaining an icy driveway that she blames for a fall that broke her ankle two winters ago.

This week, a federal judge refused to toss out the lawsuit, setting up a trial for November.

Carriel Louah, 25, visited Darlington, Wis., to surprise her mother on her birthday in January 2005. But the next morning, she was injured when she slipped and fell on her parents' driveway. She filed suit against her parents earlier this year.

The daughter said that a letter from her mom apologizing months after the fall proves that her parents knew they had a defective gutter for years and did nothing about it.

She's seeking more than $75,000 in damages for medical bills and lost wages.

Her parents said that she can't prove the driveway was icy at the time or that their drainage system was faulty.

U.S. District Judge John Shabaz said that a jury should decide the matter.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/newsarchive/9511641/detail.html

The woman suing her parent in this case should be tossed in jail herself for filing a frivolous lawsuit. Now if I could just get that stupid judge to agree with me.

Some people in this country will do anything to try to make a buck.

-Cp said:
MADISON, Wis. -- An Illinois woman is suing her Wisconsin parents for maintaining an icy driveway that she blames for a fall that broke her ankle two winters ago.

This week, a federal judge refused to toss out the lawsuit, setting up a trial for November.

Carriel Louah, 25, visited Darlington, Wis., to surprise her mother on her birthday in January 2005. But the next morning, she was injured when she slipped and fell on her parents' driveway. She filed suit against her parents earlier this year.

The daughter said that a letter from her mom apologizing months after the fall proves that her parents knew they had a defective gutter for years and did nothing about it.

Her parents said that she can't prove the driveway was icy at the time or that their drainage system was faulty.

Sounds like an obvious insurance scam to me. Parents are in on it too IMO. Do they know their rate may increase or they may just be cancelled? MORONS!!

-Cp said:

Sounds like there are a lot of details missing from this story, if it's even legit in the first place...

The ClayTaurus said:
Sounds like there are a lot of details missing from this story, if it's even legit in the first place...

It's really simple. The kid got injured on the ice b/c her parents messed up. There is homeowner's insurance on the property. She is entitled to an independent cause of action. Most likely, her folks, or a family friend, thought it might be a good way to put some money in the daughter's bank account.

Oh...and the jury HAS to decide the matter because there are issues of fact, such as what was the condition of the property, which keep the judge from deciding it on legal grounds.

No one is alleging fraud, and even if they were, still has to be determined by the trier of fact...the jury.

red states rule said:
Jilly, will you take the case and keep 50% of the settlement for your trouble?

I don't do PI work. And lawyers get a third as a fee, not for their "trouble", but in lieu of salary. You know how it is, people work...they get paid. You're a capitalist; that shouldn't trouble you.

jillian said:
I don't do PI work. And lawyers get a third as a fee, not for their "trouble", but in lieu of salary. You know how it is, people work...they get paid. You're a capitalist; that shouldn't trouble you.

NO, trial lawyers rip off their clients and insurance companies, and we all pay in the end

jillian said:
oh well...there was almost a discussion there. I guess you tried your best. lol... :flameth:

You must be part of the John Murtha Cut and Run Tour. You do it so often Jilly

As Rush would say, you are a member of the Drive By legal profession

red states rule said:
You must be part of the John Murtha Cut and Run Tour. You do it so often Jilly

As Rush would say, you are a member of the Drive By legal profession

You flatter yourself, little one. I just think you're not up to the task. I keep telling you that. lol... :dance:

jillian said:
It's really simple. The kid got injured on the ice b/c her parents messed up. There is homeowner's insurance on the property. She is entitled to an independent cause of action. Most likely, her folks, or a family friend, thought it might be a good way to put some money in the daughter's bank account.

Oh...and the jury HAS to decide the matter because there are issues of fact, such as what was the condition of the property, which keep the judge from deciding it on legal grounds.

No one is alleging fraud, and even if they were, still has to be determined by the trier of fact...the jury.
You know whats simple, Jillian? It'll most likely be settled out of court, I think you know that. Makes all the rest moot, doesn't it? :)

Mr. P said:
You know whats simple, Jillian? It'll most likely be settled out of court, I think you know that. Makes all the rest moot, doesn't it? :)

And you know what is so surprising here? The fact that some folks in here have missed the fact that it's COMPLETE BS that she'd sue HER OWN PARENTS! And not accept personal responsibility...

-Cp said:
And you know what is so surprising here? The fact that some folks in here have missed the fact that it's COMPLETE BS that she'd sue HER OWN PARENTS! And not accept personal responsibility...

I don't think anyone missed that. The issue was what the Court could do with the case. And it couldn't do anything but let the case go to trial.

-Cp said:
Yeah, I think COMPLETE BS and not accepting personal responsibility are against the law, in some minds anyway.

But like jillian said,
The issue was what the Court could do with the case. And it couldn't do anything but let the case go to trial.
this is about what the court MUST do, not what some would like them to do.

I think it's a scam like I said....but that doesn't matter.

New Topics

Forum List

Back