Daryl Davis: How many people have YOU convinced to leave the Klan?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
This Man Spent Decades Befriending KKK Members. Hundreds Have Left the Group Because of Him

This Black blues musician has been criticized for befriending members of the KKK and going to lunch or dinner with them to get to know each other.
When asked if he get criticism from other African Americans for his approach, he answered:

“Of course,” Davis replied. “Absolutely. Not black people who are friends of mine, who know me and understand where I'm coming from. Some black people who have not heard me interviewed or read my book jump to conclusions and prejudge me ... I've been called Uncle Tom. I've been called an Oreo.” It doesn't sway him:

I had one guy from an NAACP branch chew me up one side and down the other, saying, “you know, we've worked hard to get ten steps forward. Here you are sitting down with the enemy having dinner, you're putting us twenty steps back.”

I pull out my robes and hoods and say, “look, this is what I've done to put a dent in racism. I've got robes and hoods hanging in my closet by people who've given up that belief because of my conversations sitting down to dinner. They gave it up. How many robes and hoods have you collected?” And then they shut up.
==============================================
-- NOTE: Daryl Davis will be speaking live on Liberty Eagle Monday 9-10 AM CST if you want to call in with questions or comments.

Last edited:
Proving once again that it's all based upon ignorance.

Not just ignorance but when FEAR is attached, Fenton Lum

When ignorance is innocent, it is like how children are innocent, we understand that is natural as part of learning, and there is no problem with that.
We understand when people don't know and work to correct that.

But when we blame people for willful ignorance and start attaching
fear blame and shame, that's when fear of the unknown becomes
distrust and division.

How can we go back to having the innocence of children,
and curiosity without blame shame and fear of judgment and punishment attached?

Quote of the Week: Martin Luther King Jr.

"Men often hate each other because they fear each other;
they fear each other because they don't know each other;
they don't know each other because they can not communicate;
they can not communicate because they are separated."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story, 1958

This Man Spent Decades Befriending KKK Members. Hundreds Have Left the Group Because of Him

This Black jazz musician has been criticized for befriending members of the KKK and going to lunch or dinner with them to get to know each other.
When asked if he get criticism from other African Americans for his approach, he answered:

“Of course,” Davis replied. “Absolutely. Not black people who are friends of mine, who know me and understand where I'm coming from. Some black people who have not heard me interviewed or read my book jump to conclusions and prejudge me ... I've been called Uncle Tom. I've been called an Oreo.” It doesn't sway him:

I had one guy from an NAACP branch chew me up one side and down the other, saying, “you know, we've worked hard to get ten steps forward. Here you are sitting down with the enemy having dinner, you're putting us twenty steps back.”

I pull out my robes and hoods and say, “look, this is what I've done to put a dent in racism. I've got robes and hoods hanging in my closet by people who've given up that belief because of my conversations sitting down to dinner. They gave it up. How many robes and hoods have you collected?” And then they shut up.
-- NOTE: Daryl Davis will be speaking live on Liberty Eagle Monday 9-10 AM CST if you want to call in with questions or comments.

Great story Emily. :clap2:

I know of at least two people in history who convinced a lot of people to leave the Klan. One was D.C. Stephenson, who had the entire political system of Indiana in his pocket, and whose brutal rape and cannibalization of Marge Oberholtzer brought so much bad press (and brought down a lot of Indiana politicians) that the Klan's peak of influence in the 1920's took a nosedive.

The other is Stetson Kennedy, who infiltrated the Klan, took notes and wrote a tell-all book about it, and also worked with the writers of the most popular broadcast of the time, the radio show "Superman", to mock and disparage the Klan in no uncertain times, shaming scores more into giving it up.

This Black blues musician has been criticized for befriending members of the KKK and going to lunch or dinner with them to get to know each other.

The sentiment also recalls Ben Carson's statement I posted earlier today...

>> Regarding all of the racial and political strife emanating from the events in Charlottesville last weekend, let me relate a story. Several years ago we bought a farm in rural Maryland. One of the neighbors immediately put up a Confederate flag. A friend of ours who is an African-American three-star general was coming to visit and immediately turned around concluding that he was in the wrong place. Interestingly, all the other neighbors immediately put up American flags shaming the other neighbor who took down the Confederate flag. More recently our home in Virginia along with that of a neighbor was vandalized by people who also wrote hateful rhetoric about President Trump. We were out of town, but other kind, embarrassed neighbors cleaned up most of the mess before we returned.

In both instances, less than kind behavior was met by people taking the high road. We could all learn from these examples. Hatred and bigotry unfortunately still exists in our country and we must all continue to fight it, but let's use the right tools. By the way, that neighbor who put up the Confederate flag subsequently became friendly. That is the likely outcome if we just learn to be neighborly and to get to know each other. <<​

The sentiment also recalls Ben Carson's statement I posted earlier today...

>> Regarding all of the racial and political strife emanating from the events in Charlottesville last weekend, let me relate a story. Several years ago we bought a farm in rural Maryland. One of the neighbors immediately put up a Confederate flag. A friend of ours who is an African-American three-star general was coming to visit and immediately turned around concluding that he was in the wrong place. Interestingly, all the other neighbors immediately put up American flags shaming the other neighbor who took down the Confederate flag. More recently our home in Virginia along with that of a neighbor was vandalized by people who also wrote hateful rhetoric about President Trump. We were out of town, but other kind, embarrassed neighbors cleaned up most of the mess before we returned.

In both instances, less than kind behavior was met by people taking the high road. We could all learn from these examples. Hatred and bigotry unfortunately still exists in our country and we must all continue to fight it, but let's use the right tools. By the way, that neighbor who put up the Confederate flag subsequently became friendly. That is the likely outcome if we just learn to be neighborly and to get to know each other. <<​
Thanks Pogo
As pointed out before, both Ben Carson and Obama believe in MICROLENDING and education
as the key to breaking the cycle of poverty and dependence on welfare handouts.

What is keeping these and other black leaders from uniting on common solutions?
Fear, Bigotry and political bullying between PARTIES lobbying for power.

Conditioning and egging on Men and male ego to fight for turf and dominance.
What would happen if Carson, Obama and supporters on all sides
united in assessing restitution for political violence and abuses,
and invested our resources into rebuilding communities using business plans
instead of handouts from govt?

Instead we divide these leaders and refuse to work together.
Pitting the "party of the rich" against the "party of the poor" is more of the
"field slave/house slave" division to keep people victimized in fear "the other
side" is gaining more power; thus corporate interests playing both sides
are the ones who stay in power using this divisive paradigm exploiting taxpayers.

We campaign to enforce images of male leaders "beating down" their opponents.
(Even Trump had to throw Cruz under the bus, and the sexist issue of image of our leaders also split Democrats over Clinton and Sanders and patriarchal politics of undercutting the competition in order to win.)

If Obama or Trump back down and try to be diplomatic to calm down the riots,
they are denounced for "enabling" oppressors or "blaming" victims.
We only want to hear them back OUR side and BASH the other:
Then we wonder why we are at war in the media with these strategies.

We shoot ourselves in the foot by shooting down our neighbors.
Thank God we have the internet so most of this goes on online,
with words, where we can still fix the messes we cause.
But some has spilled out into physical violence, shootings, and riots that
have caused deaths as we saw in Charlottesville. That's what it means
for all sides to bear responsibility for the violence that led up to Heyer's death.

The fear that cost Justine Damond her life by a cop reacting in fear
was also in the context of nationwide fear of "ambush attacks on police"
blamed on protests of BLM, and anti-cop campaigns and chants,
while supporters defending police are blamed for "going too far"
and in blaming BLM for ambush shootings of officers,
instead of working together to end criminal abuse and violence.

Fear cannot be the driving force deciding public policies.
We need to get past fears, and get back to an open free and safe
environment where we can share and understand, and unite
based on what we all agree is right, not divide over what is wrong.

Here is a list someone posted online of ANTIFA members. Full list of antifa members.
[I'm reaching out to the names in BOLD, trying to form a unifying coalition.
If anyone else wants to reach out, please copy and paste the messages
and links I am sending out to find interested allies for positive media campaigns,
to unite people in raising funds to rebuild and restore, not destroy the country.]

Can we replicate Daryl Davis outreach, and befriend people across political lines:

Fannie Madden-Grider: Former professor at Morehead State University

Xenia Madison: -kikebook / xeniamadison Resist cover photo

Neal Madnick: Sanford H Calhoun High School teacher

Alexis Maestre-Saborit: Massage Therapist Fort Myers, Florida

Jane Maestro: Fundraising Manager at New Hope Charities (((education: Tel Chai, Israel))

F. Rachel Magdalene
: Progressive activist, Hillary lover, fascism & Trumpenfuehrer/GOP resister, Bible scholar, legal historian, attorney, pastor, mom. -her twitter

Rudresh Mahanthappa: New York-based jazz alto saxophonist. Apparently he's "world renowned".

Scott Mahler: Director, Digital Immerison at Arizona State University

Ava Mailloux: Greater NYC area, self proclaimed writer. "How to talk to your Girlfriend after She Get Groped in a Bar" - Shark Reef Magazine

Donna Malamud: Volunteer Coordinator at Kids in the Spotlight, Inc. Greater LA area. Video entitled "Until We All Have Healthcare" vimeo / 7095708

Jerry Malamud: Political Activist & Occupyer in San Diego & Coachella Valley. Also on kikebook and twitter

Dominique Malaquais: Ph.D. Columbia University, New York City. Movie entitled "Men From Nowhere" where she played herself. A story about a French holocaust survivor with PTSD.

Frankie D. Mallis: Professor, English. Arcadia University. Children's Fantasy Writer

Christine Mallory: Ms. Christine Mallory serves as Vice President of Finance at AllClear, was also former CFO at BlueSpace Software Corp. Lives in Texas.

Aaron Managhan: Office Assistant at South Puget Sound Community College.

Carl Manaster: Bioinformatics Programmer, ActivX Biosciences. Carl Manaster is a liberal political activist. He's been programming computers for over twenty years. - scrumalliance period org.

Victor Manfredi: Visiting Researcher in African Studies at BU Linguistics. AB, Linguistics (combined with Anthropology), Harvard University. PhD, Linguistics and Social Anthropology, Harvard University

Michael Mangino: It's not the pedophile DARE cop, hopefully. He's a Professor in Biology at Harper College, Illinois.

Jessica Mangum: Self proclaimed medium and mentor at "Jessica Mangum Your Spiritual Pathfinder".

Shilpa Mankikar: Director, writer, filmmaker based in New York. Two of her scripts were finalists at the 2016 Sundance Screenwriters Lab. "Known" movies: "Sunset", "Baby Diva", and "Tools of War".

Reeser Manley: Writer "The Life In Your Garden: Gardening for Biodiversity

Catherine Mann: Catherine Mann is a USA Today bestselling author who has published numerous books with Berkley, Sourcebooks, and Harlequin Desire. Catherine has won a Rita award, celebrated five RITA finals and three Maggie Award of Excellence finals.

Jenny Mannion: Author, "Intuitive Healer". Check out her website named after herself if you actually give a fuck.

Organizers of BAMN:

acebook.com/ronaldsf
acebook.com/carolinerosewong
acebook.com/donna.stern.5
acebook.com/tristan.a.taylor.1
acebook.com/profile.php?id=2238952
acebook.com/kstenvig
acebook.com/xvcarr
acebook.com/tyler.wood.509
acebook.com/VictorDhulKarnon
acebook.com/hoku.jeffrey
acebook.com/mylishia.henderson.5
acebook.com/mymy.henderson.1
acebook.com/joyce.schon

RefuseFacism:

A-
Antonio Abate
Ariel Aberg-Riger
Sandra Abernathy
Osama Abi-Mershed
Michael Ables
Cheri Abraham
Cheryl Abraham
Steve Abraham
Danielle Abrams
Debra Abrams
Madeline Abrams
Dawn Acevedo
Judith Ackerman
Susan Ackley
Lindsay Ackroyd
Nick Adam
Jim Adami
Cheryl Addington
Frances Adkins
Michael Adler
Rachel Adler
Simon Affolter
Melissa Agar
Keith Aguirre
Jessica Ahart
Deirdre Aherne
Rais Ahmed
Zulfi Ahmed
Shpresa Ahmeti
Patrice Aiello
Ann Aiken
Safaa Ajram
Gwen Akin

Last edited:
Example FB message:
Hi Rudresh: I got your name off a a list of Antifa supporters. I am a progressive Democrat trying to save Civil Rights and Freed Slave history in Freedmen's town that was once the JAZZ capital and Harlem of the South. Would you like to work on a music campaign with Daryl Davis to unite activists in saving national history? My bf interviewed Daryl live on the air on Monday, who is a Black Blues musician who befriends Klan members where many have left the KKK. I'd like to encourage musicians on both sides of BLM Unite the Right and Anifa to make music videos together instead of violent protests. Please PM me back if you'd like to launch a national music campaign! Thanks Rudresh! You rock!!! Emily Nghiem

Here are my websites, about saving the Campus Plans in the national historic district of Freedmen's Town where I live and volunteer, and replicating these to convert sweatshops and prisons into sustainable campus sites, to restore Black communities and develop secure facilities for workers and Vets along the border:
www.freedmenstown.com
www.rightsfortheworkers.org
www.earnedamnesty.org
Can we use music videos in a contest to challenge activists nationwide to raise funds for building schools instead of walls, and saving history instead of tearing it down?

Last edited:
FB msg to Rachel Magdalene:

Hi Rachel: I'm a Democrat in TX trying to save Freedmen's Town a Black Church district and Civil Rights landmark. Can we work on a national campaign for the women struggling to save our communities from political abuse and destruction? Dr. Sally Wickers is head of our Pastoral Coalition. We are under Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. These are mostly black women I am helping while the politicians gave millions of tax money to white developers to destroy history that was supposed to be protected by federal laws but the corporate interests bought out the politicians and some of the ministers who turned against the poor people for fear of losing their churches. it's GENOCIDE going on right under the noses of us as progressive Democrats, which is shameful if we don't fix it. Can you help us? Thank you! Emily Nghiem www.freedmenstown.com www.rightsfortheworkers.org www.campusplan.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invitation msg sent to Scott Mahler through linkedin:
Hi Scott: I'm a progressive Democrat planning media campaigns to save national civil rights and black church history in freedmenstown.com. Can we collaborate with KPFTon national campaign and video contest? I'd like to reach students and campuses across the country, which would promote your work too

Last edited:
UNMASKED: List of AntiFA members

Please PRAY for positive outreach, reconciliation and uplifting unity
between members of Antifa and Unite the Right, ALM and BLM,
and all people who want to address and change things from one side or another.

As Americans, we have the freedom, resources and ability to completely
change this divisive paradigm and fulfill the original vision of our founders.
The prophetic words in our Declaration of Independence, our Federalist
and Constitutional documents, all call for Equal Justice Under Law
and protecting the Democratic Process so human nature can achieve
the ideals of peace and justice for all humanity. That drive for truth, justice and peace
is in our nature, as is the faults and selfish side that corrupts our govt and political process, too.

By conscience, by following and respecting the natural laws that compel us to
love, respect and include the rights of our neighbors equally as ourselves,
we can uplift one another, address and correct past wrongs as equal neighbors,
and work together for a better future as the original founders intended and prayed for.

That is the legacy of America, and anyone with a conscience is called to fulfill it.
That is what it means to unite in Christ or by Conscience, in receiving the
spirit of Restorative Justice which is the meaning of Christ Jesus
bringing "Justice and Peace" to all, by establishing agreement in Truth.

Thank you, please join me and all leaders in prayer for America.
It will take all of us, working at full capacity, to correct and restore
government and society to the ideals we all believe in. Let's do this!!!

Last edited:

When ignorance is innocent, it is like how children are innocent, we understand that is natural as part of learning, and there is no problem with that.

distrust and division.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just read this in a book: "She felt a surge of tenderness towards her, remembering how ardent she had been at that age, how full of fire to better the world, and sure that she knew how, without the faintest idea of the multitudinous layers of passion and pain intertwined with each other, and the conflicting beliefs, all so reasonable if taken alone. If innocence were not reborn with each generation, what hope was there that wrongs would ever be fought against?"

distrust and division.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just read this in a book: "She felt a surge of tenderness towards her, remembering how ardent she had been at that age, how full of fire to better the world, and sure that she knew how, without the faintest idea of the multitudinous layers of passion and pain intertwined with each other, and the conflicting beliefs, all so reasonable if taken alone. If innocence were not reborn with each generation, what hope was there that wrongs would ever be fought against?"
Hi Delores Paulk: That's a nice deep quotation. What book is that from? Is there a figure in the media or in history you would apply this to?

Thanks for your thoughtful input, please elaborate on your thoughts or Advice on improving racial politics and relations as in the original topic post. Please post more, Thank you!!

Forum List

Back