Darrel Issa: too many human beings

R

rdean

Issa: USPS has 'more than a small cash flow problem' - The Hill's Video

"They have gone the wrong way — they have gone from having no debt to having $15 billion in debt, which was their debt limit. ... That tells us, as a businessman, that no matter what they say, they have more than a small cash flow problem," Issa said Monday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

In 2006 in a Lame Duck session the Republican Congress passed a bill that forced the Post Office to pre-fund future health care benefits for its present and future employees. The amount to be pre-funded? 75 billion dollars and they had to do it in 10-years. Again, this includes setting aside money for employees not hired yet.

Now some are screaming "Crisis!" when the "crisis" was created by a Republican Congress. Save the 5.5 billion the Post Office has to hand over to the government the Post Office would be solvent and at least breaking even.

Republican Issa's solution? Fire thousands of postal employees. Seems that's always the GOP's answer: Fire people.

ModelMayhem.com - Privatize the Post Office?

By June 2011, the USPS saw a total net deficit of $19.5 billion, $12.7 billion of which was borrowed money from Treasury (leaving just $2.3 billion left until the USPS hits its statutory borrowing limit of $15 billion). This $19.5 billion deficit almost exactly matches the $20.95 billion the USPS made in prepayments to the fund for future retiree health care benefits by June 2011. If the prepayments required under PAEA were never enacted into law, the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion.

A Manufactured ‘Crisis’: Congress Can Let The Post Office Save Itself Without Mass Layoffs Or Service Reductions | ThinkProgress

------------------------------

Why do Republicans want to end the post office? Some states, like Oregon and Washington, mail in their votes. What would they use? UPS that gives nearly 70% to Republicans? This is about more voter suppression.

Republicans are in it for power and for the rich. They will cause even more riots where ever their ruinous policies take effect.

Come on USMB right wingers. Defend this. Show us how it's done.

Uh....okay.

Strange how the post office folds so soon after 4 years of Democrap rule. I think they're greasing the skids for another crisis/rip-off.

After regs they've imposed on them no wonder they're going belly-up.

Congress requires that the USPS fund both the retirement program and the health plan at 100%. The average for the S&P 500 funding is 80%. Other federal employees is 41%; the military is 24%; and the some government bureau which requires the USPS to fund at 100% does not fund its plans at all.

Due to the usual government accounting standards, requirements and regulations, the USPS believes that they have over-funded the plans by $75 billion and they want it back. The amount of $75 billion is equal to a year’s income at the USPS.

The is not a current method to pay back over-payments. The only way the USPS can be paid back is by an act of Congress.

The money paid into these plans is invested in Treasury Notes, Bonds, and Bills – in other words, the federal government “borrows it.” *Hint....Hint*

And then they spend it. One Reason the Post Office is Broke < Blog Archive < Blog | Associated Mail & Parcel Centers

Do you have a better solution to a problem of having too many employees you cant afford other than firing them?

You can complain all you want, I dont see you with any ideas fixing it.

the pre-paid retirement was simply a backdoor way of getting rid of the post office. get rid of that and magically the post office is running normal again

Uh....okay.

Strange how the post office folds so soon after 4 years of Democrap rule. I think they're greasing the skids for another crisis/rip-off.

Congress requires that the USPS fund both the retirement program and the health plan at 100%. The average for the S&P 500 funding is 80%. Other federal employees is 41%; the military is 24%; and the some government bureau which requires the USPS to fund at 100% does not fund its plans at all.

Due to the usual government accounting standards, requirements and regulations, the USPS believes that they have over-funded the plans by $75 billion and they want it back. The amount of $75 billion is equal to a year&#8217;s income at the USPS.

The is not a current method to pay back over-payments. The only way the USPS can be paid back is by an act of Congress.

The money paid into these plans is invested in Treasury Notes, Bonds, and Bills &#8211; in other words, the federal government &#8220;borrows it.&#8221; *Hint....Hint*

And then they spend it. One Reason the Post Office is Broke < Blog Archive < Blog | Associated Mail & Parcel Centers

Oh, you didn't know? I'm embarrassed to have to be the one to tell you. These regulations were put in place by the Republican lame duck congress in 2006. Do a little research. Hilarious you accuse Democrats. Just like accusing Obama for the state of the economy, the wars, the jobs moving to China.

Did you simply get it wrong or were you being a LF?

Uh....okay.

Due to the usual government accounting standards, requirements and regulations, the USPS believes that they have over-funded the plans by $75 billion and they want it back. The amount of $75 billion is equal to a year’s income at the USPS.

The money paid into these plans is invested in Treasury Notes, Bonds, and Bills – in other words, the federal government “borrows it.” *Hint....Hint*

Oh, you didn't know? I'm embarrassed to have to be the one to tell you. These regulations were put in place by the Republican lame duck congress in 2006. Do a little research. Hilarious you accuse Democrats. Just like accusing Obama for the state of the economy, the wars, the jobs moving to China.

Bullshit.

Show me a link or STFU.

Uh....okay.

Bullshit.

Show me a link or STFU.

Here you go. Are you now going to STFU yourself or at least admit you're wrong?

http://waxman.house.gov/UploadedFiles/The_Postal_Accountability_and_Enhancement_Act.pdf

President George W. Bush signed the Postal Enhancement and Accountability Act
(P.L. 109-435) on December 20, 2006. This report briefly describes Congress’s pursuit
of postal reform, summarizes the major provisions of the new postal reform law, and
identifies possible P.L. 109-435 oversight issues for Congress.

Postal Regulatory Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA) [2][3] enacted on December 20, 2006, made several changes to the PRC. Besides giving the body its current name, the PAEA significantly strengthened the Commission's authority to serve as a counterbalance to new flexibility granted to the Postal Service in setting postal rates.

The Act requires the Commission to develop and maintain regulations for a modern system of rate regulation, consult with the Postal Service on delivery service standards and performance measures, consult with the Department of State on international postal policies, prevent cross-subsidization or other anticompetitive postal practices, promote transparency and accountability, and adjudicate complaints. It required the Postal Service to fund within 10 years the pensions for all employees for 75 years.

The law also assigns new and continuing oversight responsibilities to the PRC, including annual determinations of USPS compliance with applicable laws, development of accounting practices and procedures for the Postal Service, review of the Universal Service requirement, and assurance of transparency through periodic reports. New enforcement tools given to the PRC include subpoena power, authority to direct the Postal Service to adjust rates and to take other remedial actions, and levying fines in cases of deliberate noncompliance with applicable postal laws.

Who else is FORCED to prefend these accounts?

Should we force Fed Ex and UPS to prefund these types of accounts?

Uh....okay.

Bullshit.

Show me a link or STFU.

Hey buttlicking ass-muncher, I think you were just proven wrong.
But as usual, like a right-wing nut, you feel you are so self-rigtheous and self-made.
Mabye self-made, a self-made dumbass.

New Topics

Forum List

Back