Darkest Hour

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
Just finished watching the movie Darkest Hour. About Winston Churchill's first days taking over as Prime Minister . Excellent all around for those who are history buffs like me or for those who like serious drama. This movie is full of both plus a view of the goings on behind the scenes at that time in the British government. Well put together movie all around.

Just finished watching the movie Darkest Hour. About Winston Churchill's first days taking over as Prime Minister . Excellent all around for those who are history buffs like me or for those who like serious drama. This movie is full of both plus a view of the goings on behind the scenes at that time in the British government. Well put together movie all around.
Been watching the Dodgers have a pretty dark hour, but it suits me and the Braves.

Just Watched Darkest Hour on Netflix. Some say it's just for history buffs but I believe most people will enjoy the movie. However, if you're not sure who Winston Churchill is and not sure what WWII was all about, then skipping this one might be a good idea.

In 1940, the fate of Western Europe hangs on Winston Churchill in the early days of World War II. The newly appointed British prime minister must decide whether to negotiate with Hitler or fight on against incredible odds. Although almost everyone knows how this turns out, Gary Oldman (Churchill) puts the audience on edge of their seat as he makes the fateful decision to fight the unwinnable war. And when he gives his most famous speech to the House of Commons:

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be.

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

At the end of the speech, you just might feel you want to come to your feet and join the House of Commons in their applause and cheers.

Gary Oldman delivered a fantastic performance which is largely responsible for the the success of the movie. The film got 6 Oscar nominations and won 3.

This is a good movie but it has it's flaws. The early part of the movie seem to drag but once it got going, it became memorizing. Like most dramatizations of historical events the director takes a lot literarily license. One of the most effective scenes in the movie came when Churchill rode the underground asking the people what they thought. I very seriously doubt this every happened but it was a good scene. There are several other places in the movie that's not part of history but this is not a history lesson but a very entertaining movie.

It is one of my favorite movies. I agree Oldman was great as Churchill. Well done movie all around.

Gary Oldman doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is a great actor. I liked him in "the Book of Eli" and the Brit spy story "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy".

Forum List

Back