Dangers of conservatism

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I've been hearing for years how conservatives are nothing but extremists. I want to hear some explanations of what exactly is it that makes us so extreme? And whats so dangerous about conservatism?

I've been hearing for years how conservatives are nothing but extremists. I want to hear some explanations of what exactly is it that makes us so extreme? And whats so dangerous about conservatism?

First, you have to have a clear definition of conservativism. That's a debate in and of itself. From what I see, the left defines conservatives only by their extremists.

To answer your question from my point of view, strictly adhering to conservatism which beleives in naintaining the status quo, you have a non-evolving society. Non-evolving societies = death.

There IS room for change for the better. Problem is, liberals don't know where to draw the line where common sense and/or logic are concerned. All too often it's change for the sake of change, with no rhyme or reason applied.

Not to change this into an abortion debate, but to use it as an example .... there are those on the right who believe in no abortion, no matter what. The left and MSM ignores those who recognize that there are legitimate medical reasons for abortion; which, IMO are the majority, in favor of presenting the "no abortion" crowd as representative of mainstream conservatism.

Then there is the Christian angle. The end result of most conservative-liberal arguments is liberals accusing conservatives of preaching, and forcing their religious views on others; when, in fact, it is only a small minority that does so. Logic and common sense can shoot down most liberal arguments without invoking God.

Forum List

Back