Dal

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
So, I have a new cooking adventure. This Thanksgiving we are going to make Indian food. India has a Thanksgiving but that is in August and I can't find a whole lot of information on it. Which is ok. We sat down the other day and figured out most of the menu. My kid already makes naan bread. At any rate, I am going to make a few dal recipes now so that I can hopefully find a good one or perfect one before the day it's due. I have to be careful that I don't use recipes that require actual curry leaves because I'm not sure that I am going to find them.

The first two I want to make is Dal fry and Tadka dal and I have some red lentils on the way so I can check those out. I have run into two problems. A lot of the recipes use a pressure cooker and time is down to the number of whistles. Makes zero sense to me time wise. The second one is "red chilis". Well, which red chili am I using?

Do any of you all make dal and if you do can you recommend a recipe? Or decipher whistles and red chili?

Here is a recipe with the red chili.

This one is Dal fry

Last edited:

Thanks! I knew I could order the curry leaves on line, I just don't think they will be fresh by the time they get here. The Byadagi chili is awesome. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just the name is awesome.

I was looking at an Indian grocery store online and they were selling a Thai chili. I'm like........that can't be right.

If it was just my kid and I then I would do that. The menu was created keeping in mind that different states were notoriously spicy. In fact, I was looking stuff up on my phone and it was pretty much planned by the time I looked up. I had just enough knowledge about Indian cooking to say dal, samosas and halwa. I've never made any of it.

Forum List

Back