Cutting medical expenses; limit medical suits?

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
Obviously the greatest underlying expense of healthcare is not the administration of insurance but rather the expense of the healthcare services themselves.

The majority of proposals that I recall for decreasing healthcare service expenses are related to increasing the extent of health providers' sanitation practices or limiting the amounts of medical suit awards.

These two issues are to some extent related. Healthcare providers are to some extent motivated to strive for superior sanitation due to the legal risks and expenses of medical suites. If the quality of USA’s medical services suffer due to federal limits upon medical suites, what amounts of expense savings would compensate for unnecessary medical harm.

Would medical facilities be less diligent in regard to the debris raised by their janitors’ mops, “washing hands prior to servicing each patient, or counting sponges and instruments prior to “closing up the patient”? Any occurrence of wrong a limb being amputated or operating on the wrong side of a brain is a one too many occurrence.

I suspect that the threat of medical suits has done us more good than harm. I also suspect it’s of the greatest benefit to the least wealthy patients who have little or no other protection. If quality of medical care suffers, what’s the net benefit of limiting legal remedies?

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back